martintheviking

Free Member
Jan 27, 2014
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I gave my Swift Suntour, (52 plate on a Ducato Chassis) a wash & polish yesterday, using Autoglym Polish & noticed 'Blotches' on the panels.
The cab came up Loverly, but Autoglym doesn't seem to do the job on the back end.
Can anyone recommend a Good Long Lasting Polish suitable for the body. I think they are GRP Fibreglass, in reasonable condition. I just want to protect it before it starts to look too 'Manky'.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Hi I used Auto glym polish, called SUPER RESIN POLISH and did the nice finish ,I did the motor body in bits like the size of a door them removed and carry on after that there a polish you can put on top but cannot remember the name (sorry) but you put it over the body and leave for about 15 to 20 mins before removing:mad: it goes misty now I use MOTORHOME WASH called FENWICKS which is very good for dark marks from windows etc then when you wash it of there is BOBBY DAZZLER which is the protecting coating and a nice shine and you just spay it on and leave to dry . There is a caravan wash so get the motorhome one cheers hope any of this helps (y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Been using MER for years both on MH and my car. I use it from roof to floor on the MH after each long run out and I have no streaks ever even if parked up for weeks on end on site after very bad rain it just runs of the body work and dries without water marks.
I use it on the windows inside and out as it does not scratch the plastic. On the windscreen I use RAINX ( Halfords ) and when driving in the rain ( not much here in Spain ) the water runs of the screen so fast that I hardly need to switch on the wipers. On the black plastic ( ours is gray ) I use smooth peanut butter ( I hate the taste ) which brings it back to life ( in Spain they go white very quickly )

Our MH is now 3 years old and still looks like the day it came out of the factory on the outside at least. On the inside is another story.........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi I use Autoglym super resin polish, it works fine on all of the panels, but I do buff it with an orbital polishing mop, it cost me around £40, but it gives super results and leaves no marks.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I also use autoglym super resin polish ..sometimes topped off with autoglym extra gloss .....mable is 14 years old but looks 3 years old
I also use autoglym aqua wax all over when I'm being lazy .....but it smells lovely like bubblegum

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I use Fenwicks Motor Home cleaner followed by Bobby Dazzler, just rinse that on with a sponge and leave to dry, when at the Stafford show yesterday a guy asked me if my MH was kept indoors due to the gloss on it and the condition , no it is my everyday vehicle and is kept on the drive, so good advert for Fenwicks.

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i had a few marks , my son said to claybar it first , then polish, hard work but works a treat, i also use autoglym, and have a meguairs polisher
but talked to a body repair man the other day, on route to cardigan, he said he could clean and polish the lot for about £60, saving a lot of elbow grease , just a thought :)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there have always used Autoglym products with excellent results.but have recently started using Meguairs which is also very good(y)
brian and jo

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I use Fenwicks too.. Its a good wash. I had some dodo juice wax lying around and used that in the summer... Great results.. But very time consuming.. Just done an autumn clean of the roof and body and for the first time I've tried the Fenwicks over winter stuff.. We'll see.. You're going to struggle to get a better deeper shine than using wax.. You just need commitment or to be skilled with a polisher.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
farecla grp restorer got it from a boat supplies lasted all year up to now also use demon shine after a wash then use a silicone blade to get most of the demon shine off. I never use caravan cleaner or traffic film remover done that before and it only strips the wax off I just use wash and wax

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have to agree with buckby about using black streak remover and slightly agree about using traffic film remover. TFR comes in many different strengths and its quite common for people to use too strong a dilution, this is probably what has happened to martintheviking's motorhome. Please don't use( or let anyone else) a rotary polisher unless you really know what your doing as the paint on most motorhomes is very thin and has no lacquer coat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back