Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yet another reason to give Spain a miss.
Can't say I'm a great fan of Spain although Jan loves it, having said that I'm off to Valencia next week to the Moto GP.
Wont be taking the leccy bikes anyway just the m/bike but have to think seriously before we go again.
Seem to be more and more reasons each year not to go to Spain, you'd think they'd welcome tourists with open arms instead they seem to be seen as targets to rip off instead.
When I was working we used to export two ships a month into Spain and every month without fail we would have to fight spurious quality claims and every month we would eventually send someone out to physically inspect the claim which 9 times out of 10 ended in us winning. We ended up employing a guy in Spain to represent us and fight the false claims which was much cheaper than flying someone out twice a month and putting up with delayed payments, funnily enough the claims virtually stopped within a few months of employing him.
Lazy b********s do anything rather than work.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
So where would one go for Ebike insurance and what type of cover are the Spanish looking for
Can I just make up my own certificate useing word ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Interesting.
Sadly - you can't beat them if they decide to fine you.
Out intention is to have 2 of these instead of the car next year and will be in spain a lot.
I'm not even sure if specific insurance for an electric bike on a road exists??? (Since all other eu countries appear to accept them within the 250w and 40kg 15mph rules ) I assume it must be a Spanish insurance???? Anyone know or tried to get this ???
If it's available - I expect it will cost peanuts so worthwhile to avoid fines.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Found this one, probably other companies also.

Broken Link Removed

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
legal e bikes are classed the same as ordinary bikes under the law. maybe they are talking about 3rd party liability.my expensive ebikes are insured under my household insurance with L&V. this covers Europe

but this must surely be third party insurance they are talking about. My mates director a big UK e bike company ..I will ask
So where would one go for Ebike insurance and what type of cover are the Spanish looking for
Can I just make up my own certificate useing word ?

Google?:D

http://www.money.co.uk/bicycle-insurance/bicycle-liability-insurance.htm

just tried a quote from these clowns for my new 4K E bike thats on order and they want £346

https://www.jltonline.co.uk/secure/...sionID={AB5DD926-2B95-4047-BF5F-30ADBB6207B5}

I have third party liability insurance on my household policy....will have to start carrying a copy of that around in spain..probably translated into spanish(n)

Last edited:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Just checked this out and found following article in the Motor section of the "ABC" Spanish Newspaper dated 3rd Jan 2014:

Si nuestra bicicleta eléctrica cumple con Directiva Europea 2002/24/CE, no se necesita permiso de conducción ni seguro, porque se rigen por las mismas directrices que las bicis convencionales. Por tanto podrás circular por carriles bicis, incluso circular por las aceras en aquellos lugares donde esté permitido.

Translation:

If our ebike complies with the European Directive 2002/24 / EC neither a driving license nor insurance is required because they are governed by the same guidelines as conventional bikes. Therefore you can travel on bicycle lanes and even on pavements in places where this is allowed.

http://www.abc.es/motor-reportajes/20140103/abci-bici-electrica-peugeot-201401021422.html

I think the problem in the OP was referring to different types of ebikes which even travel at over 45km/hour - more of an electric moped than an ebike.

See lots of them around Valencia and mostly on the pavements! (y)

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
In the same Spanish newspaper they were showing this video of a homemade electric bike which travels at up to 80Km/hr (50mph)!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Cheers Momo..................Panic over?

although mine are all german spec and comply with above directive (no throttle - pedelec only), you may come to grief with chinese bikes with throttles as they are only legal in UK not in europe....

be careful out there pedelec'ers!!!

I guess I will have to remove my speed derestriction dongles for Spain next year:oops:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Cheers Momo..................Panic over?

although mine are all german spec and comply with above directive (no throttle - pedelec only), you may come to grief with chinese bikes with throttles as they are only legal in UK not in europe....

be careful out there pedelec'ers!!!

I guess I will have to remove my speed derestriction dongles for Spain next year:oops:

Throttles on handlebars are also legal in Spain BUT NEED INSURANCE & LICENSE the same as ordinary mopeds. (y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are certificates of conformaty that should come with the bikes .
specially the chinese ones . if you havent got one then the spanish police can only assume it doesnt conform .
ask where ever you bought the bike .
once you show them the certificate your on your way. always have it with you .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oops! a daises...double post

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ah! I see said the blind man...so that is where the problem stems from.

but doesn't the throttle use depend on the pedals being turned to be legal..I thought independent throttles illegal, certainly are in Germany. But they have a HS (high speed) class of e bike (illegal in UK) that require a small number plate, insurance and registration. Popular with commuters and restricted to road use. apparently they may become legal in the UK

In Benidorm police were reportedly fining cyclists for not wearing helmet on the main roads leading out of town..I regularly cycled inboth directions out of town but never saw them...this a new twist

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think it was last year in spain cyclists are supposed to wear helmets .
plus all m,bikes have to have lights on .
things do keep changing .

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Had the bikes for 5 years and got them off ebay
So if any kind soul would send me a copy of a certificate it would be much appreciated

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Some more info from the same source on this subject for Spain:

Las bicicletas eléctricas incorporan un Sistema de Pedaleo Asistido (también denominado P.A.S. o Pedelec). Este sistema se activa mediante un sensor que determina la fuerza de nuestro pedaleo, transmitiendo esta información a un motor para que éste ayude al avance de la bicicleta.

Cuando se deja de pedalear o se acciona el freno, el motor deja de funcionar. Algunos fabricantes montan en el manillar un acelerador que parece ofrecer ciertas ventajas, pero cuyo uso convierte nuestro vehículo en ciclomotor.

En cuanto al uso del casco, según el artículo 47 del Real Decreto Legislativo 339/1990, de 2 de marzo, los conductores y, en su caso, los ocupantes de bicicletas están obligados a su utilización en las vías interurbanas.

Translation:

Electric bikes incorporate a Pedaling Aided System (also known as PAS or Pedelec). This system is activated by a sensor that determines the strength of our pedaling, transmitting this information to a motor for it to help advance the bicycle.

When you stop pedaling or the brake is activated, the motor stops working. Some manufacturers mount an accelerator on the handlebar which seems to offer some advantages, but which converts our vehicle into a moped.

As for the use of a helmet, under Article 47 of Legislative Royal Decree 339/1990, of March 2, all cyclists are required to use helmets on all intercity roads.

Helmets have been required for all cyclists since 2nd March 1990!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi momo . thought if you were in a town helmets for cyclists werent needed . thought it was last winter it changed . might be wrong . its only what i was told .

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Alan: If you are just casually cycling along on cycle tracks or pavements no need for a helmet but if you go on a road you definitely need one. Remember the park we cut across to where you parked when you came to Valencia? You wouldn't need one there!(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you will be right i,m sure .
mind i have and been with others not wearing helmets . i might even have a push bike with me this year .
will have to wear my m,bike helmet .
i,m sure they dont care sometimes . then have a purge .
not sure when we shall be there this year but will give a shout. no real plan just go slow .

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Judgemental - are you absolutely certain you get third party road use cover for POWERED bikes?

I know my sis couldn't cover a sit-on mower at all. But that was some years ago and it's been yonks since I dealt with household!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Judgemental - are you absolutely certain you get third party road use cover for POWERED bikes?

I know my sis couldn't cover a sit-on mower at all. But that was some years ago and it's been yonks since I dealt with household!

no I am far from sure and havent got time to check as trying to make a eurotunnel crossing:D

but presuming public liability is what it is it, and covers others from my stupidity:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back