Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi guys.
looking for anyone who has had the inner panel off the habitation door of a Dethleffs Advantage.
it appears at the moment that the return spring on the inner handle has either become detached or broken as the handle doesn't return to its rest position.
it looks like the handle is installed on the door then the inner panel is fitted over the top then a trim is fitted around the handle.

however it looks like the inner panel was fitted on the door and then the aluminium edging was fitted around the outer edge of the door to hold it all together.:Doh:

i have emailed dethleffs and got an immediate automated response stating that the person is out of the office until the 22nd so will see how good dethleffs are with customer relations.

OP
OP
aba

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hadn't thought of them :Doh:

although they couldn't be any worse than the shower i bought the van off in the first place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Pucklechurch, Bristol BS16 9SE, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Hi aba, how did you get on with this repair? Mines gone the same way - looks impossible without splitting the door.
Anybody else had experience with this repair or any idea of the required parts so that I can be prepared before laying into this problem.
Thanks, Steve

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
What make of door is it? We have a Hartal door, we had a problem with it a while ago where we couldn't shut the door and both inner and outer handles were loose.
It was a simple fix, on the Aire at Le Cotoy, in torrential rain......

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Easy fix When you get the spring. I am on my third spring. Prize off the cover around the handles, remove the bin and screws, remove the big pull handle. Then push both sides of the inner skin of the door towards the centre and you will find it just pops off. Then find the spring which will have snapped and replace.

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Pucklechurch, Bristol BS16 9SE, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Thank you mogbl !!
Who would have thought that the door came apart like that. I had visions (nightmares more like) of having to prise off the bead that runs around the door, looking as though it holds the two parts together.
The seemingly impossible turned into a 10 minute job. By the way I ditched the paperclip in favour of a light coil spring on the linkage rods. Does anybody else still have a box of "Terrys" assorted springs?
Allanm asked about the make of the door which I take to be a proprietry Dethleffs item. It is the one with the semicircular top. It has a flat exterior and a vaccumn formed inner skin which is joined around the circumference with an aluminium extrusion onto which the hinges are fixed. I originally posed the question (after searching and finding aba's original post because I assumed the look would be generic as so many motorhome parts are.
Many thanks to all those who helped, once again proving the value of the Fun forum.

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Please forgive if this is in the wrong place (another newbie here !)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU . . .. . . .

I spent a while searching the web regarding the above problem and tripped over this great site.

In brief a few days ago I was quoted £450+ by a local dealership to repair my habitation door lock.
(5 hours labour + parts).
Within 15 mins following mogbl and steviebouys advice I had stripped the door and located the offending broken spring. At a local locksmith I sourced a close match and re-modelled the spring to fit.
Oh joy and bliss . . . All went well and another 20 mins saw the door reassembled.

Cost of one spring plus a spare £1 ! ! ! !

So once again a huge THANK YOU from a very happy newbie who is looking forward to enjoying this friendly and informative forum.

Antique

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Thanks everyone who has contributed to this post. I hope it will enable me to fix the inner habitation door handle on my Dethleffs. Like me it has a touch of the floppies. It is 32 degrees here at the moment though. (Autingues). It will have to wait till we get home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back