Lorry Drivers HGV Licence HoldersBeware (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
The initial post would have been far better headed "Any driving licence holder". It's all to easy to direct blame for bad driving habits on HGV drivers alone. Many HGV drivers do in excess of 1200 miles a week on every type of road and are true professionals. There's far more bad car and van drivers out there.
Here here keep on trucking. Truckers do it best.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we always get picked on first. its when you know police are going to nick you. they say you should know better. [because you are a professional lorry driver. and they only say it so they can stick more money on the charge.]

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
we always get picked on first. its when you know police are going to nick you. they say you should know better. [because you are a professional lorry driver. and they only say it so they can stick more money on the charge.]
I know but most on here can only dream of driving a truck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Never crossed my mind for a moment that I'd want to drive a truck. I know 4 friends and neighbours who are, or have been, truck drivers and the tales they tell about their daily lives ensures I never will. In Southampton in the afternoon and then being asked to go Bristol to pick up a load on their way home to Norfolk, arriving at a supermarket to join a 3 hour long queue to offload only to be told to wait an hour while the staff have a lunch break or, worse, sent away and told to come back tomorrow. Living away in their cabs all week only seeing their family at weekends. Many may enjoy the life but it's not for me and certainly not the glamorous lifestyle it may be made out to be.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Never crossed my mind for a moment that I'd want to drive a truck. I know 4 friends and neighbours who are, or have been, truck drivers and the tales they tell about their daily lives ensures I never will. In Southampton in the afternoon and then being asked to go Bristol to pick up a load on their way home to Norfolk, arriving at a supermarket to join a 3 hour long queue to offload only to be told to wait an hour while the staff have a lunch break or, worse, sent away and told to come back tomorrow. Living away in their cabs all week only seeing their family at weekends. Many may enjoy the life but it's not for me and certainly not the glamorous lifestyle it may be made out to be.
thats uk. All my work was European and Eastern block. None of your supermarket crap for me. Also did North Africa so I seen some great places and met some superstars let me tell u ppl who would do anything for u. The commeraderie was great.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
differently no glamor in it. but it was a great job when I first started.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Why on earth would I want to drive a truck?

To be a knight of the road of course..........

I've no desire to drive one either. Spent several years driving 50,000 horsepower ships though; that was quite interesting, but it was very difficult overtaking slightly slower ships. It could take several hours. And those bloody ferries crossing in front of you............... ;)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
To be a knight of the road of course..........

I've no desire to drive one either. Spent several years driving 50,000 horsepower ships though; that was quite interesting, but it was very difficult overtaking slightly slower ships. It could take several hours. And those bloody ferries crossing in front of you............... ;)

Really?;)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Talking on the phone is not the same as talking to a passenger. Hands free kits are legal. Driving with one hand holding a mobile or a microphone isn't. Rightly so.

The rules cover all electronic equipment such as CB etc as far as I know. Not just phones.

Yet smoking whilst driving is still legal.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
if you learnt to drive a truck. you may be able to drive your m/home. properly

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
if you learnt to drive a truck. you may be able to drive your m/home. properly
Probably - not guaranteed though. Same works the other way, some people are good on one type of vehicle and less good at others. Dawn is pretty good at driving a horse, but less good at driving the van ;)

That was a joke, by the way.........

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yet smoking whilst driving is still legal.
It's not the one handedness which is the issue. It is having your brain engaged in something which is not about driving and talking to someone in another place who has no idea what is going on around your vehicle so will continue to chatter away as you plough through a bus queue.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
Using hands-free devices when driving
You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.

There has always been an exception in the regulations for the use of hand held microphone for emergency services.

It’s illegal to ride a motorcycle or drive using hand-held phones or similar devices.
The rules are the same if you’re stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic.
It’s also illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device when supervising a learner driver or rider.

Reg. 110 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986:
(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a road if he is using -
(a) a hand-held mobile telephone; or
(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).
(4) A device referred to in paragraphs (1)(b), (2)(b) and (3)(b) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.
6(d) "two-way radio" means any wireless telegraphy apparatus which is designed or adapted -
(i) for the purpose of transmitting and receiving spoken messages; and
(ii) to operate on any frequency other than 880 MHz to 915 MHz, 925 MHz to 960 MHz, 1710 MHz to 1785 MHz, 1805 MHz to 1880 MHz, 1900 MHz to 1980 MHz or 2110 MHz to 2170 MHz;

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back