Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
While doing my what motorhome to buy research, I came across the winter pack, which the dealers seem to offer as an added extra. Do I need a winter pack? is it a one off buy? any other comments or advice most welcome:)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
While doing my what motorhome to buy research, I came across the winter pack, which the dealers seem to offer as an added extra. Do I need a winter pack? is it a one off buy? any other comments or advice most welcome:)

Good morning Ruth are you an insomniac, an owl or like me a nightworker?

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
In answer to your question, UK manufactured motorhomes are not (for the most part) prepared for the sort of conditions that prevail in Central Europe and the Alps (for example). UK companies like Autosleepers provide a winter pack on their vehicles which includes the following:- 1. An upgraded heating system which increases the output from 4Kw to 6Kw. (that's your water heating and van heating sorted by one unit often (but not always) a Truma. 2. Tankblankets. These are heated pads placed on the underside of the external water and waste water tanks to ensure that freezing doesn't occur. (The jury's out on these as they can only be used on the mains which makes travelling with water in the tanks in winter a possible issue). 3. Thermal blankets over the rear wheel arches as these areas have been noted as high heat loss areas. 4. Blinds on all single glazed front windows including the windscreen rather than curtains which allow condensation to build.
There are many variations on the theme but if you are likely to be in the High Alps in Winter a winterised van is a must.
Autosleepers (for example) also claim Grade 3 protection for all their vans including their panel van conversions (PVC's) which is measured in a cold chamber as follows. The core of the van has to achieve an ambient temperature of 20 degrees C within a specific time when the outside temp is a constant -15 degrees C.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Im kind of an insomniac lol, its at these times things pop randomly into my mind, mostly my brain isnt really in gear, its asleep as i wish i was. Thank you for the info, Im not planning to leave the uk (yet)

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Im kind of an insomniac lol, its at these times things pop randomly into my mind, mostly my brain isnt really in gear, its asleep as i wish i was. Thank you for the info, Im not planning to leave the uk (yet)

The sort of detail you need to plan for now is first Budget, are you buying new or secondhand? Second, where will you be travelling and at what time of year. Thing is that the beauty of a motorhome is:- 'ooooh it's cold here lets go south'!(y):D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
I'm buying second hand, I found you can get the AA to come with and look the MH over for you, for a price of course, Im sticking to the uk to start, planning to go everywhere at all times of the year, but as you say, probably south when its colder, north at other times

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'm buying second hand, I found you can get the AA to come with and look the MH over for you, for a price of course, Im sticking to the uk to start, planning to go everywhere at all times of the year, but as you say, probably south when its colder, north at other times

That's a good plan Ruth but whilst the AA will give you an assessment of the base vehicle they won't be able to tell you about the state of the van itself. In particular damp is something that plagues vans old and shockingly new. Swift have a bit of a reputation for damp vans. Whether this is actually the case I have no idea I've never owned one but a damp check on any van is an absolute must. Depending on where you live there may be a mobile van mechanic who you could hire to do these sorts of tests for you before you buy. It'll be money well spent I believe. I'm sure there will be an army of posters on here tomorrow with advice for you and some may even have some names of local mechanics. I see you're from Gloucestershire, there's a company called Motorhome Medics based just outside Cheltenham off the M5. They have a good reputation and though I haven't used them myself people who seem very hard to please are well impressed with them :- first link is to the website for the medics. http://www.motorhomemedics.co.uk/ Don't worry about the American RV's they cover all vehicles.
Second Link is to MagBaz travels which is a very useful site for someone entering the motorhoming world for the first time.
http://www.magbaztravels.com/

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
OOOps, the last comment I made about useful site about MagBaz travels...........useful yes but not nearly as useful or friendly as this one!:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Great advice thank you. I have a trip to my local dealer planned for tomorrow so I can play in their motor homes, I doubt they would have anything I could afford to buy, but doesn't cost anything to look

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Great advice thank you. I have a trip to my local dealer planned for tomorrow so I can play in their motor homes, I doubt they would have anything I could afford to buy, but doesn't cost anything to look

Once again as you're in Gloucestershire Ruth does the dealers name begin with M and end in S? If it is please have a look at the thread on Mag Baz commenting on that organisation, having bought from the same company many moons ago I can endorse every word they say.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Oh dear, yes thats where I was going, just read the thread on Mag Baz too, will now look elsewhere. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Oh dear, yes thats where I was going, just read the thread on Mag Baz too, will now look elsewhere. Thanks again

No harm in pulling their vans about Ruth just be very wary of the sales patter. Even now with that company I think you'll find a salesman with you all the time. For a first visit that's a good idea but once they've given you what you need to know about the features you need to have time to pull the van about to see what it would be like to live in!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Have decided to try Cotswold Motor homes instead. Pushy people scare me lol

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Have decided to try Cotswold Motor homes instead. Pushy people scare me lol

I have heard good reports of them so good luck and enjoy pulling them about. (y) Never be afraid to tell the salesman that you want to have some time in the van by yourself. There is another dealership at Blunsdon near Swindon, West Country Motorhomes, I've only heard good reports about them but have never bought off them personally.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I've just had a look at the Cotswold site and they seem to have a broad selection of vans for you to look at. With no part exchange you would be looking at quite a discount on the price you see on the front screen. Once again enjoy!(y)

Upvote 0

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer

"Winter pack" seems to be one of those terms that can be as varied as winter days. What one manufacturer includes in their package can be totally different to another. I found that some German motorhomes wwithout their additional winter pack were better equipped for cold weather than British built with all their extras.
I would also like to add that even if you intend to head south to the sun for your winter trips you can encounter some very wintry weather en route especially when travelling through mountainous regions.
Time alone in vans when viewing them is very good advice. However daft you may feel about doing it use this time in a practical way. Sit looking and thinking by all means but also move around and try everything. Lay on the bed, sit up as you would to read a book or whatever it is you would want to use the space for. Go through the actions of putting the kettle on, going to the loo, washing your hair etc. Actually lift the lid and perch on the loo, stand in the shower and rub your hair, reach to soap your feet etc. This way you will get a much better idea of which van will work for you. Go through the actions of preparing a meal and if you intend using the van to entertain guests try and get the same number of people (customers/salesmen or whoever) in the van at once so you can decide if it really will work for you !

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Try Cotswold Edge in Beckford, near Tewkesbury. They are only Bailey agents, but get a few second hand vans come through and they are always reasonably priced. Their service is friendly and second to none, and you won't get a pushy salesman. We have been delighted with them as have our friends.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Ruth I agree entirely with the above post by 'simply' , it is essential to ensure that the layout is right for you. I am now on my 7th van and think I have eventually got it right!!
I now have a PVC having downsized from an Autotrail coach built van. My current vehicle enables me to use the loo in private with sufficient leg room- my previous bigger MH you had to be a contortionist!
I am a firm advocate of getting the layout right.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Depends on what type of camping you intend to do. Fully winterised with double floor and all the tanks and pipe work within, the best bet for winter camping. But many use their van two or three seasons at most so unnecessary for them

I am wary of UK so called winter packs, when if van was designed and built properly at least the fresh tank and associated pipe work should reside inside van.

Go to a dealer by all means to ID what you are after. But look at buying privately from a genuine seller

Upvote 0

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
I am wary of UK so called winter packs, when if van was designed and built properly at least the fresh tank and associated pipe work should reside inside van.

Yes, design and winter packs need to go together. I don't see how a van can be fully winterised if you are expected to sleep with your head up against a window. Nor have I ever understood the absence of winter tyres on a fully winterised van, especially when it is a German one !

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
As a general rule of thumb "British vans" are built for southern summers whilst most "Continental vans" are built to withstand northern winters.

For example Pilote's maxim is that their vans must be able to withstand a Swedish winter.

We have had both British and continental vans so far and I would say personally go for a French or German made van if you want winter comfort.

Upvote 0

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Just from looking on the web, im liking the Nuevo???
Why ??
Does it tick all your boxes?
Bed comfy? Tried sitting in the driving seat and on the loo? Been through the actions of cooking your favourite meals? (can get pizza in/out of oven, worktop to dish up)
Somewhere to put ALL your clutter? (bedding, camping chair, bbq, dog, wet coat, muddy boots etc etc)
Getting the idea? What's right for one maybe hopeless for someone else, we are all very different. Enjoy looking !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
I get the idea, thank you, will be doing all that soon

Upvote 0
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
When we chose our MH we asked ourselves "would we be comfortable about being stuck in this van all day if it is p'ing down outside".

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ruth, you need to look at a lot of vans and take your time. We spent months looking for our current van and priorities changed frequently until we eventually found what we were looking for.
Ok, it's not perfect, but I don't think any van will be unless you commision your own or have a bottomless wallet ( or purse!)
We chose our Autosleeper Broadway FB for a number of reasons. We had a list of wants, don't wants, needs and don't needs.
We wanted a full size fridge and cooker. We wanted a large living area without a fixed table. We didn't need an over cab or drop down bed. We didn't need an above head oven ( unbelievably, a lot of continental vans have these,) we didn't want flimsy cabinet work or plastic everywhere ( again, a lot of premium vans are full of this)
Above all, it needed to be comfortable and feel right. I needed air con in the cab and a feeling of space.
We got all this and more, and a feeling that the whole van, inside and out, will last for ever, it's good solid wood and chrome trim inside. No plastic. No flimsy fixtures.

We didn't even think about it being winterised, we assumed it would be. Our 1978 Ford transit based coachbuilt van was!

Winter packs are fine, but they still leave pipe work exposed to the elements. These will be the first things that freeze!

I fitted tank heaters in both tanks, insulated both tanks and all pipe work. Luckily, the heaters work off the 12v system without draining the batteries too much. The van is well insulated anyway and we have been cosy at temps below -10c. I expect it will be fine at much colder temperatures.

In the summer, we have a wind out awning. 5 roof vents with fly screens and insulated blinds. All hab windows have fly screens and insulated blinds and we bought silver screens and interior insulated screen covers . Cool in summer, warm in winter.
The heating is fantastic, we have a heated towel rail in the bathroom too. We can operate hot water and heating remotely or set it up on the timers.
Also, it looks nice and is easy to drive and returns about 28 mpg.

Nuevo' s are similar to ours so I am bound to say it will be a good van, but you need to spend a while sitting and playing in it as has been suggested earlier.

And finally, even though we have had the van for over a year, I still look in showrooms at new and used vans and can honestly say I haven't seen one I like better in this price range.
Allan

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Allanm
What is the storage like had an old AS executive for first MH great build quality but became to small so changed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Went to play about with a fiat sundance today, had most of my concerns settled about motor homes in general, so quite happy

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Allanm
What is the storage like had an old AS executive for first MH great build quality but became to small so changed
We seem to get quite a lot in and around it.

We have an outside locker behind the passenger door, holds ramps and EHU cable. Large underbed locker at rear, access from outside and by lifting the bed. You can get loads in here. Under both side sofas( 4 feet long) although the offside one only has enough for 6 x 2 litre bottles ( Electrics, 2x batteries and safe are under there. ) There is a hanging wardrobe with shelf unit underneath, 6 large overhead lockers in the main hab area, 2 overhead lockers above the rear of the fixed bed. Two large cupboards and two drawers under the sink. Storage under the cooker and a cupboard above the microwave. Wet storage locker under the floor( contains flat hose and toilet chemicals, mallet, 4 litre bottle of water to top up toilet header tank), accessed by outside opening under rear bed. Under sink storage in the bathroom.
Enough room for all our clothes, winter coats, waterproof coats and trousers, wellies, boots, generator, fold up bike ( Brompton) fold up chairs (2-4), large fold up table( 6'x3'), smaller fold up table and pedestal table, large bag of dog food (14kg) , silver screens, internal screens, books ( All the aires, Camperstops, maps, atlases, books to read etc), large camera bag ( Billingham Hadley Pro), radio, binoculars, box of cables for usb connections, camera and phone chargers, first aid kit, FOOD, crockery set ( for 4) cutlery, chopping boards etc, Wok, double skillet, frying pan, saucepans, bread maker, hairdrier(?), more shoes, sandals, cordless Hoover, dustpan and brush, astroturf mat, beer, wine, rum, kettle, flask, and various bits and bobs.
I would have liked a garage, but I didn't have enough stuff left to put in it!
Allan

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back