mechanics, is it possible ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Daughter took her car into garage she wasn't happy with handbrake, so being restrung but they have said that her brake pads are on wrong way round, probably changed 2 years ago but never had any trouble with them, can they be put on wrongly without noticing something wrong. Cynic thinking they may be pulling a fast one being a female. :(

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
On a calliper with a cable operated actuator, there might be handed pads. It would be impossible to know unless I knew the model myself or saw the calliper in the flesh.
If the pads were fitted with the backing to the disc rather than the friction material, then yes you would have heard the grinding and new discs and pads would have been needed a long time ago!

Open jury on this one so far......

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Are they brake pads or brake shoes. With shoes you have a leading edge and a trailing edge, so it may be possible to fit incorrectly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Its a corsa 2003 reg. Definitely no noise or feeling unsafe, maybe is left on right and right on left.
Garage gets decent reviews but so did the one that changed the pads.

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Are they brake pads or brake shoes. With shoes you have a leading edge and a trailing edge, so it may be possible to fit incorrectly.

Sorry don't know, daughter not very good with information, she can't even remember if he said front or back. It's only the front that have been changed since we had car I'm sure and we've had for 8 years.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If its the handbrake its brake shoes which can be fitted incorrectly by an idiot. :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bbrake pads can only go one way but I have never tried to fit them incorrectly
But I don't think you can even if trying very hard as the configuration of the pads won't allow it.
But I am sure someone will be along to correct me
bill

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Don't worry someone will be along in a while who knows what they are on about. (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
brake.jpg
The Corsa has front pads, and rear shoes. The shoes are operated by both the hand brake lever/cable, and by the hydraulic footbrake. It's impossible to fit pads wrongly, as Bill says, however, there are a couple of different callipers fitted to the Corsa, each taking different pads, but they are not interchangeable. The rear shoes must be fitted with their leading edges facing into drum rotation for forward motion. Such are the fitments, I would consider it impossible to fit the shoes back to front, as one end of the shoe fits into the brake cylinder, the other into the captive fitting built into the brake backplate, each end of the shoe being different. Once again, the Corsa has been fitted with back brakes that vary slightly.
I'm a bit wary of what the garage claims, in the light of the above, however, if anything is amiss, it would be on the back brakes, and not the front. Even then, there's a strong chance these guys are pulling your daughters wire here......Some rouges think that because it's a woman customer, they can bulls**t with impunity.(y)

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If it is the front brakes one pad or both usually have a sensor in it to inform the driver when the pads are worn.

Maybe on the Corsa it only has one and the pad was fitted on the wrong side of the caliper.

But else I am not really sure what they are suggesting is really possible.

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Was a bit worried when I saw you had replied Tootles;) but it's a sensible and informative reply, thanks to everyone for replies. I'm also cynical about it but for 80 quid better save than sorry. She's not the type to query anything and she usually gets her dad to deal with garages but she is trying to be more independant.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If it is the front brakes one pad or both usually have a sensor in it to inform the driver when the pads are worn.

Maybe on the Corsa it only has one and the pad was fitted on the wrong side of the caliper.

But else I am not really sure what they are suggesting is really possible.
The 2003 Corsa, (to my knowledge), has no electrical brake wear sensor, but one of the four front pads has a metal wear indicator strip.....It makes a hell of a racket if the pad wears down to it, without damaging the disk. This is usually fitted to the N/S front calliper, on the inside.......But its not crucial, and not at all dangerous.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Tootles, that photo you posted will give me nightmares tonight. I shudder when I think of how many times I have sat on our drive with a cold ar$e changing them on all the different old cars we had in the 70s & 80s.;)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The 2003 Corsa, (to my knowledge), has no electrical brake wear sensor, but one of the four front pads has a metal wear indicator strip.....It makes a hell of a racket if the pad wears down to it, without damaging the disk. This is usually fitted to the N/S front calliper, on the inside.......But its not crucial, and not at all dangerous.

Hello, have we ever met before, is this a new sensible Toots or a representative the largest Automobile Association in the World looking for a new member.:D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Was a bit worried when I saw you had replied Tootles;) but it's a sensible and informative reply, thanks to everyone for replies. I'm also cynical about it but for 80 quid better save than sorry. She's not the type to query anything and she usually gets her dad to deal with garages but she is trying to be more independant.(y)

b b. When it comes to 'garages' it's never worth being 'more independent'! Particularly for ladies and mechanical numb nuts like me.(y)

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
The younger generation......what are they like! :rofl:

She had to ask for help last week concerning car so think she was proud of herself being proactive because she wasn't happy with handbrake, we've never used the garage but as it's just across road from her she went for it. Quik Lube. Wait till Tootles picks up on that.:LOL:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
She had to ask for help last week concerning car so think she was proud of herself being proactive because she wasn't happy with handbrake, we've never used the garage but as it's just across road from her she went for it. Quik Lube. Wait till Tootles picks up on that.:LOL:

Nice!:D I think Toots had gone to his bobos.:cry:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Nice!:D I think Toots had gone to his bobos.:cry:
No he hasn't......However, not all of us gets paid a huge and very handsome remuneration for sitting in front of a computer screen all night with no pants on.......:):);)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
No he hasn't......However, not all of us gets paid a huge and very handsome remuneration for sitting in front of a computer screen all night with no pants on.......:):);)

You've still got those hidden cams up...............I told you to get rid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back