LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I got sick of gutting rabbits, and plucking pheasants, so my gun hasn't been out the cupboard for about 6 years! Still go clay shooting now and again though, not as messy!:)

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Anyone know the diesel trick :)

Years ago I used to dribble a few drops of light oil, 3in1, into the compressor ( on a break action ) and then on the 2nd or third quick shot there is a real kick and boy does that shot hit hard.

Yes, but it does absolutely nothing for accuracy :unsure:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
After catching and eating fish in Norway this year I quite fancy the idea of 'wild meat'.......

Can anyone give some advice please as to what to buy for shooting rabbits? I have always thought .22 better than .177

Anyone? :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmm.... well to be honest I don't like killing animals:confused: ... but... not so much that I won't eat them;)

I am attracted to the notion of catching (shooting) rabbits for the pot but I would like to ensure a quick kill. Having had limited success this year with fishing in Norway my wife and I really enjoyed cooking and eating what we caught (particularly the Cod:)). After the first couple of fish we were less squeamish about the killing and gutting and it soon became FOOD

I must admit I (we) did enjoy the 'hunt' for want of a better word and I believe it would be the same with shooting rabbits however they are more cute and vocal than fish! I would need to believe that I could dispatch a rabbit humanely with a fair degree of confidence otherwise I would probably feel racked with guilt and remorse.

It's kind of 'I want to shoot them' versus 'I'd feel sorry for them':oops:

Maybe a .177 would do it. Now, next question...... fixed or broken barrel......springer or pump?

Either way it will need to wait until after Christmas so no real panic:)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Fixed barrel, powered by compressed air cylinder, fitted with a decent silencer, the other bunnies as Jim say will not know why their mate is taking a rest. A brake barrel springer and their heads will be up, almost before you pull the trigger. Also the shot is easier with air, because there is very little recoil, which is an art to master and place the pellet with accuracy.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I shoot both small bore and fullbore disciplines but have a hankering for a CO2 pistol!
I reckon a CO2 pistol could be a great addition to a Practical Mini Rifle course of fire to make it a 2 gun match.

If anyone in West Norfolk is interested in getting into shooting, just google Kings Lynn St Michaels Rifle and Pistol Club.

http://www.kingslynnstmichaels.org

There is a local airgun club and field archery club too for those who wish to wear tights!

Co2 pistols are a pain compared to compressed air!

The gas is now very difficult to get unless you are a pub landlord or his mate.

You really need to refrigerate the cylinder before filling to get a good fill!

Very good in their day but now surpassed by compressed air which is easy to get from any dive shop.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I am also a small-bore target shooter but mainly shoot .22 prone cartridge rifle, .22 lightweight sport rifle, .22 long arm free pistol, .177 air pistol and 12 bores for clay shooting.

I only shoot at targets.

I can only imagine that someone shooting a .177 air rifle at 50 metres is doing it in very calm, virtually windless conditions as they are much more wind affected than a .22 cartridge bullet and one of those can be thrown 4 inches off course by a 10 mph constant crosswind at 100 yards and when do you get a constant wind? Answer - never - it is always changing speed and direction.

Whatever game you shoot you must ensure a clean painless kill or you should 't be taking the shot!

Also you have to know the ground and b e sure that you have safe backstop in case you miss!

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Just resurrecting this thread...........

I am still looking for an air rifle.......... quite fancy the Air Arms S410 TDR .177 ......

http://www.bisley-uk.com/stockimages/documents/AITDRA_Air Arms S410 TDR.pdf

(y)

Looking to clear my air rifle stuff out, if you or anyone else is interested:

AA S200 MK3, regulator fitted and tuned. As new, maybe 1/2 a tin of pellets down it.

Daystate Air Wolf, an older model, but still very accurate.

Theoben Rapid, new barrel, carbon fibre sleeve, tuned by Ben Taylor himself.

All above .177

AA Pro Sport springer, .22, beautiful rifle, as new.

12L and 3L air tanks and some other stuff.

Drop me a line if interested.

Brian

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive still got the antique rifle my dad got me aged about 7 doubt its worth anything as he pulled it out of the scrap in 1960 its a break action where the trigger guard slides down to compress the spring it works still but hardly any power and a bit loose at the join

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Been into shooting for a few years now. I shoot HFT which is targets as I wont kill unless Im going to eat it and I wont eat what I have killed ..
Still have some guns but hardly shoot these days as I have kinda lost the inclination. But I refuse to part with any of my kit or guns until I make the final decision to give up....

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
You have some very nice guns there, Charlie. I always fancied a laminated stock for my HWK 100.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got 2 rifles and a pistol, but I only use them when I go to Norfolk.

My wife bought me a gun cabinet which I thought was a bit OTT

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
gun.jpg

Bill has a Feinwerkbau modell 601 he used to belong to a club years ago . Since we moved he hasnt used it,well only to shoot a squirel that kept pinching the birds nuts :(

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I shoot at a local club (well, not for quite a while actually) with a fella who works in pest control. He's a mean shot on the range as well.
He shoots .177 exclusively for his job and when he is "Bagging Bunnies".
The "stopping power" argument has been going on for at least the 40 years that I've had Air Rifles and it's never been resolved.
Both a .22 and a .177 provide a hell of an impact on any creature small enough to be viably hunted with an Air rifle.

I shoot .177 because, with a 12ft.lb limit, the .22 trajectory is just too limiting beyond 30 yards in my opinion.

I have an Air Arms S400 Super-Lite which I used for Hunter Field Target shooting and a Weihrauch HK97 KT which I own because it's lovely, and legendary.

I'm selling the Air Arms if anyone is interested, together with a 300BAR bottle, possibly the scope as well.
Air Arms S400 SL.jpg Weihrauch HK97KT.jpg

As much as I love the Weihrauch it can't hold a candle to the Pre-charged Air Arms. Unless you go for a regulated PCP Rifle (see some of Charlie's lovely HFT/FT rifles above) then the unregulated AA S400 mechanism is about as accurate as you can get.

When it comes down to it it's like competitive hobby/sport, you can get something to compete with locally for a few hundred quid but spend thousands chasing that last 5% to perfection. It's always cheaper to get better yourself before trying to get that 5%.
Most people are never good enough to realise any benefit from it anyway.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back