New Lightweight Sunncamp Motorhome Porch Awning - You Heard It Here First! (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not everyone likes awnings but know from posts on here that quite a few use small lightweight caravan porch awnings especially at either end of the summer when the weather doesn't make the Fiamma ones viable. We have trawled the web & the NEC show for a lightweight but tall porch awning & found there is a gap in the market. As pitches are rarely level especially when rallying we usually have to use ramps for our fridge to work properly which increases the height of the awning rail in our Fiamma awning so too high to use a caravan porch awning:( At the NEC we put this dilemma to various awning manufacturers & the Sunncamp representative agreed to put our idea forward for a modification to their existing Swift 220 design & possibly to create a 290cm version too! It won't be for next year as the designs are already in production but possible for 2016 so you heard it here first on Fun(y) It isn't rocket science just simply having longer fabric to reach up to 290cm rail height instead of the curent 250cm should make it viable with that model. Pointed out that the cost point shouldn't be much higher than that of the current design as not much more cost to them & needs to be cheap as well as light & easy otherwise motorhomers would use nothing or a driveaway when on ramps rather than pay an unfair premium. We don't benefit from this if it does come into production other than being able to buy one ourselves that sorts the problem :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just had an update from our Sunncamp contact & they are definitely launching a new motorhome height porch awning for next year (y):) It will be in their preview catalogue at the NEC October Show.Will try & find out more & post here...

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Good news!

Only yesterday I was trying the sunncamp porch awning that we used on our caravan. Our camper van has a standard awning rail at 2.45 m and the wind out awning has the awning groove at 2.6 m and that is without any levelling blocks. The old porch awning is way too short so we will await that with interest. Well done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Latest update : Sunncamp are launching the Swift 220 Motor at the NEC Show in two weeks time (y) Finally an awning manufacturer has listened to us motorhomers instead of mainly focusing on the caravan market!
It will be motorhome height covering up to 290cm, 220cm wide & 225cm deep in blue & grey. The awning will have dual beaded 4mm & 6mm Kador strip attached to suit both Fiamma & Thule Omnistor awning slots so no more fiddling with adapters :) Storm straps are available as an additional extra option. Unfortunately this awning won't be on display at the NEC but can be seen in the preview catalogue on the stand on request. Sunncamp will be receiving stock in December so retailers should have stock in plenty of time for spring. The current rrp is £149 which does seem a bit high but hopefully will be available at a lower price once all the retailers have stock & are competing for sales. I will see ask if a special deal price/online discount might be possible through one of the Sunncamp retailers for any Funsters who, like us, are interested in this...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Bartyfixedit hope the above may solve both our problems :) We have tried so many caravan porch awnings on our motorhome & currently have a Kampa Rapid 220 (caravan porch awning) as a cheap stopgap but it really is much too short :(

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Unfortunately for me I have to wait and see if they do a wider one as my van is a PVC. I need an awning that is at least 3 m wide due to the sideloading door.:(

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Unfortunately for me I have to wait and see if they do a wider one as my van is a PVC. I need an awning that is at least 3 m wide due to the sideloading door.:(
I do have a cunning plan as we would also like a 3m version for longer stays ;) I have already suggested to our contact at Sunncamp that if the Swift 220 Motor sells well enough then it might be a good idea to also make a motorhome height version of the Rotonde 300 see Broken Link Removed (y) As it takes a while to take these ideas through development to manufacture & import it probably wouldn't be available until 2017...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Interesting...... I was thinking of making a small awning for overnight stops but might hang on now until we have a look at the new awning :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Bartyfixedit Thought you may be interested to know for the future:
After a chat today via email with our contact at Sunncamp he has agreed that a Rotonde 300 Motor for 2017 is possible(y) As I thought, the timescales involved mean it can't be available any sooner. If 3m long, 2.6m deep & motorhome height that will be us sorted for a large quick & easy awning for longer stays & rallies :) Wonder how many Funsters we can squeeze into that! :party2:

Last edited:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Wouldn't a Kampa motor rally pro, 390 xl fit the bill
The XL version is for higher vans and at 3.9 mtrs should work with van convertions.

Cheers. Nige

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have tried the type of design (like the Kampa Motor Rally Pro) with poles that feed through the awning material & butt against the Fiamma but the fit isn't great & don't like poles bashing around so near to the motorhome if it's windy:unsure: That's why the Sunncamp Swift/Rotonde design & others like this with a single arched pole design well away from the body of the motorhome are better for us but just need them to be motorhome not caravan height.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Update - Sunncamp will now hopefully have a display sample of the new Swift 220 Motor on their stand at the NEC & have agreed to try & work out a Show offer price to include storm straps (y):) Will post more info. as & when we know...

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
I've been looking for a lightweight porch awning of the right height. The sunbeam sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing the spec. Is it proposed as an "air" pump up type. Then it would sound great

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I've been looking for a lightweight porch awning of the right height. Is it proposed as an "air" pump up type. Then it would sound great
Not air beam type at present as we requested that it would be lightweight, easy to carry & not too expensive. The kind of awning that could packed into even smaller motorhomes & carried all the time ready to use when needed.It is just a simple arched pole design so really quick & easy & no poles against the motorhome - the Swift 220 Motor should look something like this but motorhome height & in blue & grey
download (3).jpg

The Rotonde 300 Motor for 2017 should look something like this
Tent_pics_Page_39.jpg

Hopefully you can see the two side Quick Lock telescopic steel side poles plus there is a top curved fibreglass section which all form the one front hoop & that's it :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I really fancied the idea of a no poles air beam awning but as I can't find one I would consider these. Is there anywhere I might get to see one?
The Swift 220 Motor is being launched at the NEC Motorhome Show next week - see here for ticket deal http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...me-caravan-show-oct-2015.115641/#post-1560366. There should hopefully be a sample awning on display & a special Show deal price to order it. Stock not due in to Sunncamp until December so probably out to retail stockists in January?
The air beam awnings look good & know that some people love them but it's the size of the pump that puts me off :unsure: - takes up too much room. Don't think that the air beams are any lighter than poles either? Also a steel pole is unlikely to fail & replacement fibreglass poles are widely available & very cheap. The air awnings are still very expensive for what they are so currently we don't feel that they are good value for money even if you have the space :imoutahere:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I had a Lightweight Suncamp awning-after 4 mths in Spain it ended up in Skip !!!
We had various different awnings when we had caravans & always found Sunncamp to be better made & last longer than the other brands in lightweight awnings but not used for very long periods. Think only an Isabella or all Season Dorema would be suitable for that especially somewhere sunny too!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We had a suncamp porch awning and to be honest we found it a waste of money. It fitted but just seemed a bit cheap and flimsy. Anyway we only actually used it once and its going to be replaced by a kampa pro air 260xl which appears will be a far superior (and costly) product.

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
kampa pro air 260xl. Just looked at this on-line and it's been described as for "Fair weather use only" A porch awning for me will be of most value when it's raining so for £500/600 it seems somewhat pricey!!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Interesting. Can't get to Show as moving house. They look OK in piccies although material doesn't look very robust. Do we have any firm prices yet?
The material used in these lightweight types of awnings in this budget price bracket is 75D polyester & it is the same for the Kampa Rapid 220 (caravan height - too short!) awning that we currently have. For us it being able to roll it up small in its carry bag so can always be carried even in our compact 6m motorhome & being light & quick to dry is important. We have had expensive Dorema awnings with wonderful, thick, all season fabric when we had caravans but that would fill up half the garage in our motorhome & be so heavy to handle! The Swift 220 Motor may not suit everyone but it will be a lightweight porch awning at motorhome height which we haven't been able to find up until now so it's a start! We will continue to give our/others feedback to Sunncamp for as long as they are prepared to listen!:)
Only know that the rrp will be £149 which seems high compared to the caravan version of the Swift 220 but hopefully competition between retailers will mean it is available for less. The motorhome version will cost more than the caravan version as it is more fabric & has the double (4mm & 6mm) beading. We asked our contact if he could offer a discount for Funsters & so far he has agreed to arrange a Special Show Price to include the storm straps (normally extra) for its launch if ordered (stock not due in until December/January) at the NEC Show but don't know any more yet.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Update - first photo from Sunncamp of Swift 220 Motor 2016 awning:

Swift 220 Motor.JPG

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
There is good news & bad news! Unfortunately, for those going to the NEC Show next week, it now looks like it won't be possible to see this new awning on display due to logistical issues. It can, however, still be ordered at the NEC Show from Darren of A2z Camping on the Sunncamp stand. The good news is that it is now available to order online from Broken Link Removed with the awning only price of £149.49 delivered or their Special Deal price of £160 delivered with the Velcro Storm Buckles (normally £8.99) & Storm Strap tie down kit (normally £14.99). Please note that although these can be ordered now the stock is not due in until November/December. The Special Deal will run from now, during & just after the Show. Have noticed that you can also order the Special Deal Price & can choose to collect (when order comes in to stock) which would save the £6.25 delivery price so £153.75 if you are local to Walsall(y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looks OK. Dimensions are on website.. Are they likely to do a slightly larger model you could swing a cat in? (It's the easiest way to dry them!)
As far as I am aware the bigger Sunncamp Rotonde 300 Motor (300cm long x 250cm deep & up to 290cm tall) could be launched this time next year for 2017 but probably depends on how well this one sells....

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Forgot to say that Sunncamp have a new "embossed" fabric for 2016 which this awning is made of (@Norm ) - it's still 75D but is described as an improved coated fabric. We haven't seen it yet but will have a look at their other new awnings at the NEC Show & try to find out more about it.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
For anyone considering this awning please note that Sunncamp have now changed the height from up to 290cm to up to 270cm. The A2Z Camping website listing has now also been amended. The ideal height for a motorhome porch awning is a difficult issue - our motorhome is 250cm to the Fiamma awning groove but once up on ramps (most of the time on rallies) then we could need nearer to 290cm! No ideal solution so falling in between with up to 270cm is probably the best solution & hopefully still a considerable improvement when compared to caravan height awnings. Having the dual beading (4mm & 6mm) should also be much better (y) as the most fiddly bit that causes problems pulling apart (even with Fiamma pawls) in the wind are the figure of 8 strips when having to use a conversion kit with a caravan awning :mad:

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We saw the new Sunncamp embossed fabric at the NEC Show & it looks very smart. With the redesign (as the height will now be up to 270cm) the Sunncamp 220 Motor won't now be available in November but it should be coming in to UK stockists by March. As this is the first time that this motorhome specific design of awning has been brought to market there will be a limited number produced so may be worth pre-ordering from A2Z Camping now (special bundle price with storm straps) if like us this is the type of motorhome awning that you have been trying to find for ages! It will also be available from some other Sunncamp stockists both in accessory shops & for online ordering see Broken Link Removed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back