Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Used duck tape to identify source of leak, then temporarily stop it.
Q1- what is best to remove the remnants of the tape?
Q2 - will be using Sikaflex 221 to repair, do I need to remove the window and all the old sealant? It's a coach built.
Thanks,

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi get some kind of solvent to remove duck tape glue then simply mask up about 2 mm around the window and van side -simply wet finger to smooth sealant and the remove masking tape -job done in less than 5 mins -Of course there are those who like to take out the window and make a couple of hours of work removing the inner blind to get the outside window out clean it all up and then stick it all in place -(forget about buying new sealing rubber ) like it had in the first place, then claim to have done the job properly :D
terry

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Hi get some kind of solvent to remove duck tape glue then simply mask up about 2 mm around the window and van side -simply wet finger to smooth sealant and the remove masking tape -job done in less than 5 mins -Of course there are those who like to take out the window and make a couple of hours of work removing the inner blind to get the outside window out clean it all up and then stick it all in place -(forget about buying new sealing rubber ) like it had in the first place, then claim to have done the job properly :D
terry

WOW!!! bit over the top.
No need for you to apply, your IN the GRUMPY OLD MAN'S club. :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I must admit, I would have the window out, just to see how much sealant was there and to slag off the manufacturers!

I had to do a rooflight last month, Chausson are useless!::bigsmile:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Used duck tape to identify source of leak, then temporarily stop it.
Q1- what is best to remove the remnants of the tape?
Q2 - will be using Sikaflex 221 to repair, do I need to remove the window and all the old sealant? It's a coach built.
Thanks,
Use butyl mastic off the roll - it stays soft and will not allow future leaks. If you use Sikaflex the window is effectively permanently attached to the van - which will be a big problem if you ever need to remove it. And I would remove the window to do the job properly.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks. Don't really want to remove window, but I'll give it some thought.
Duck tape working meantime. (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Windows come with just a rubber bubble gasket that simply squashes to the van -hence no one ever replaces it usually a simple squirt of sealant and stick it back in :) yes Tony butyl mastic off the roll is easy and best suited (y)-some manufacturers use this as well as the rubber ;)
The old GP mastic in the tube is very good as well (y) I usually use the rubber gasket and butyl then go around the outside as well -that way you can see if the outer sealant lets go and re do it before anything leaks -or frost gets in any small gap and forces the window out/=leak:D Then again I am quite good and neat with masking tape and sealant ;)
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forgot to say you can cut through Sikaflex type sealants with a sharpened paper scraper fairly easy so not a permanent fix or if it was it would never leak :D unfortunately sikaflex does not like to stick to some kinds of plastic and lets go after a while
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back