Recommend Me 200w Solar Panels? (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
IMG_0586[1].JPG
IMG_0587[1].JPG
IMG_0589[1].JPG

Dunno what these will turn out like, but this is one side. on the last pic you can just about see the remains of the alloy brackets I couldn't get off and the bit of plastic conduit that housed the wire from a past solar install, the wire inside looked like round twin and earth so not sure what that was all about.

Attachments

• IMG_0588[1].JPG
    IMG_0588[1].JPG
    72 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would be interested in hearing about how these work in the heat of summer. I understood that solar panels did not perform well the hotter they got. I thought that was why their was normally an air gap underneath them, to help dissipate the heat build up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I figured that way lets a little bit of air get underneath to cool them and I can still get a thin bladed knife or cheese wire in there if they ever need to come off.

Interesting times ahead. If they are flexing continuously due to wind turbulence can they survive long ?

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
They are not that flexible Brian, the one in this pic is about as far as they go I reckon(y) so there will be very little flex on the roof, but I agree it will be interesting to see how they perform over time.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They are not that flexible Brian

Got to admit, that looks a lot better than I thought. I have seen so many failures when copper flexes ( which work hardens it and makes it brittle ) that it worries me. As you know you must not use domestic thick stranded mains cable in a motorhome for just this reason.

I am just assuming that the tails that join the cells are copper.

An obvious point of failure is the pendulum that is the junction box, it will bounce with ever bump in the road but I think you have that well glues down.

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
This is an interesting thread, as on the last three motorhomes I've had I have fitted a single 80 watt panel via a dual battery regulator charging both the base vehicle battery and the single 110 amp leisure battery. We wild camp quite a lot all year round and watch tv/films on our 19" tv/DVD combo unit and use all the other associated electrical items, lights, pumps,radio/cd player, phone/tablet chargers etc, and have never had an issue with lack of battery energy. Am I missing something here or is the need for extra panels and batteries purely to do with the equipment others are using as its seems an awful lot of extra weight eating into your payload. This is not a criticism just a question. (y)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Nigel
Same as you realy, I fitted a 80w panel on my last van and it had a 85amp battery and it did us fine, we never had a problem with battery power but didn't have a tv, so when we bought the Hymer the first thing I did was have a look on the roof and at first was going to fit a normal 100w panel but after looking around and finding the semi flexible ones that were light weight, low profile and at reasonable prices
decided to go for those and as they would be barely noticable on the roof decided to go for two so as any loss of performance in hot weather would be compensated for hopefully(y)

I'm sure its a little over the top but as the weight of two 100w was less than one 80w normal one, I for one ain't bothered:D

I'm pretty certain that my one 95amp leasure battery will do me fine;)

Last edited:

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
I fitted one of those semi flexible 100watt panels on my freinds VW T5 van, it seemed to be a good piece of kit and not very heavy plus it was very discreet you could only notice the small box where the wires were connected. Made a neat alternative to the standard panel and seemed to work well.(y)

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Thanks for those pic's Tim.................very neat job, there mate.(y)
Certainly the look and fitting I'm looking for..............I've often wondered about those panels that are fitted with 'airspace' beneath them, and the amount of drag and pressure they next experience when Mh is punching into a headwind.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks Andy no problem. Re drag, that was the thing I was worried about when I saw that the only place to put panels on the roof of my Hymer was right at the front, I just didn't fancy the normal one's stuck up in the air.
The wires go through the roof about an inch away from the junction box, into the cabinets inside so all nice and neat, although the junction box and hole are all filled with sealant, I have two low profile waterproof boxes on order that will cover the lot and look a little neater(y)

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
How long ago Nigel? any feedback?
I fitted it about 18 months ago and he has just sold his van and it was working perfectly still, so I can assume they are as good as a conventional panel albeit a bit more expensive( about 50% more) but on the plus side they are discreet and east to fit. (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you deduct the cost of brackets from the install budget they are possibly no dearer.

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
If you deduct the cost of brackets from the install budget they are possibly no dearer.
Good point, although I fitted my own conventional panel with 2" aluminium angle bonded to the roof with PU40 and fixed to the panel using rivnuts so I am still able to remove the panel if I need too for any type of maintenance, hopefully this will never be needed.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I just use rivets and drill them out if needed. Never have yet.
I use a pan head screw to maintain adhesive thickness.
CA_05061409150545-XL.jpg

Broken Link Removed

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
IS IT! omg what am I gonna do:eek:, ah I know I'll reverse everywhere:sneaky:

I didn't know that, just assumed the pointy end needed to go foreward(y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A common mistake made by probably 8 out of 10. The red dot denotes the front of the aerial (for the purpose of pointing at a signal) For travelling it should point to the rear.
Extract from status manual
Status%20aerial%20travelling-XL.png

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
A common mistake made by probably 8 out of 10. The red dot denotes the front of the aerial (for the purpose of pointing at a signal) For travelling it should point to the rear.
Extract from status manual
Status%20aerial%20travelling-XL.png

Thanks for that Andy, duly noted, wondered why I keep on getting airborn::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back