Possible solo travellers meet venue?? (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I just read that normal prices are £30 per night but half price in Jan. Maybe we could negotiate a group price. I have no idea what funsters normally pay to meet. Whats the average?

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
200 miles for me but happy to give it ago :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Its a little over 200 for me too but should be fun.

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
When you thinking of going (or are you joshing?) - I'm supposed to be going Feb to April....around the coastline...via Seville & Cordoba..

No not jesting..

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The middle of the UK is Westmorland windermere but Yorkshire/Lancashire is fine for me.
windamere.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Do you not all think it expensive? I think the most I have ever paid at the meets is fifteen pounds per night and often less. The Southport meet for example is eight pounds per night.... Cranage was ten pounds per night and we had a heated hall for the evenings.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Do you not all think it expensive? I think the most I have ever paid at the meets is fifteen pounds per night and often less. The Southport meet for example is eight pounds per night.... Cranage was ten pounds per night and we had a heated hall for the evenings.
Thx Joy . Having only been to a meet on a rally field I had no idea what the average fee was. I certainly wouldnt normally want to pay £30pn.
Theres some rally sites listed in UK campsite we can look at unless someone knows of any? I cant sleep so will have a wee research.

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I started looking in UK Campsites for northern-ish sites which allow rallies and which are open all year. So far I found Holme Valley Camping & Caravan Park in West Yorkshire (62 pitches) and
Link Removed in Lincoln (26 pitches) - I have stayed here and it's handy for the city. Holme Valley is near Holmfirth, Last of the Summer Wine Country...and has good facilities, but read the reviews on UK Campsites!

You should also download Jim's Rally Marshall's Handbook!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Theres a load of them on UKcampsite too. Good idea regarding Jims handbook.
Lincoln is too far. Yorkshire/Lancashire is the middle. What we are really looking for is somewhere cheap n cheerful near a town.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Or a pub that has a camping field at the back of it so that even if no ehu there is water and somewhere to empty toilet cassette.... If pub recommended for meals that would be good and if there is permission to put gazebos up so we could have a bbq one evening and if someone could let us use their generator and a boom box for music .... a knowledge of local walks for a dog walk if weather nice or just to a local pub for a drink altogether ... and any other suggestions for keeping us interested ...

Any Wiganners for example out there ..

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Please all those interested in a solos meet will you read the details of Holme Valley Camping - there are 2 pubs nearby, a rally field (non EHU) which will take 40 units, plus a new prize-winning shower block. Holmfirth is one mile away and is a lively place with restaurants, artists, galleries etc, and is easily walkable or bikeable, as the site is in the bottom of the valley.

I spoke to them this morning - they would be keen to have us out of season - I suggested February. They will do us a special rate as we are solo in our units, and will tell me later today what it will be. I shall be in the area next week and will have a look at it if anyone is interested.

Catherine

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Catherine I appreciate your efforts. I really do but I will miss this one out. It's a 5 hr drive for me at 50mph and driving from Scotland in February I just don't know what the weather will be like. Hopefully others nearer can meet up.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hopefully they will. I picked this one because several people indicated that Yorkshire was the place
I guess I'm a guilty one. Just wasn't thinking February when it's cold dark and miserable. Was thinking more spring.

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
Count me out of the above, tooooo far north for me (very southern softie). Went to Preston for a meet at beginning of Nov last year, ice on the van, still getting over it. Okay for all you hardy types.

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
That's 2 of us then!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I'm happy with any location but as an alternative, and if people are prepared to travel to the red rose county, take a look at Wyreside Fisheries site. This is close to me and is only about 5 miles from junction 33 on the M6. I haven't stayed there but thought it might be an option because of the on site bar/entertainment. I am happy to go and have the conversation with the owners regarding a rally and to confirm a price but know 'diddly squat' about organising a meet and would really hope someone (Viennese!!) would take on the challenge. Even if not appropriate next spring it is always something to consider for any future get together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Just looked Carol - the price list made my eyes go funny! But yes, the Trough of Bowland is lovely and the site looks good!

There are pros and cons to each site. I will wait and see what price Holme Valley offer... Wyreside Fisheries does not seem to be keen on solo campers and may be more expensive.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Agree with your comments, but will certainly try and 'sell' the concept of solo Funsters to the site owners if there is sufficient interest. Assuming EHU not required I can attempt to get a group discount. Don't want to step on anyone toes V, just thought it was another option. Thanks for taking on board the idea of a solos meet.

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I really don't know why I am doing this - I have lots of other things to do!

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
I started looking in UK Campsites for northern-ish sites which allow rallies and which are open all year. So far I found Holme Valley Camping & Caravan Park in West Yorkshire (62 pitches) and
Link Removed in Lincoln (26 pitches) - I have stayed here and it's handy for the city. Holme Valley is near Holmfirth, Last of the Summer Wine Country...and has good facilities, but read the reviews on UK Campsites!

You should also download Jim's Rally Marshall's Handbook!!

Holme Valley looks good - Went to Hartsholme not long ago - has limited number of shower (2)/toilet (3) facilities but has country park café & nearby bus stop into Lincoln + lovely lakes.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm voting for Wyreside fisheries if possible. Its close to a motorway for ease of travelling , and... has shelter for the evenings if its wet, windy, snowy etc which I think would have to be a must.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back