Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i posted this on "facts" and think it worth repeating here.

"i had an extend-a-stay fitted when i bought my RV, but have never used it. The fitting for a propane bottle has a cut-off valve fitted. I recently discovered that this had developed a leak. Apparently this is a common problem, so if you have one, check it! I am removing mine, and using the BBQ point to feed back propane at low pressure, should i need to."

the leak occurs when disconnected from the bottle. there is a one-way valve incorporated, which weeps gas now.

des

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The valve you are refering to is an excess flow device, in the event of a large gas leak developing whilst the extenda stay is connected it is supposed to shut off the flow from the bottle to the RV, if you are not using the extenda stay you are supposed to remove the pipe and fit the small brass blanking plug into the small connection on the T piece, that is why it's there. The excess flow device is not designed as a shut off valve when the bottle is not connected. (if the blanking plug is missing it should have been supplied with one from new and is attached to a small white plastic retainer that dangles from the T piece)
Dunc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The valve you are refering to is an excess flow device, in the event of a large gas leak developing whilst the extenda stay is connected it is supposed to shut off the flow from the bottle to the RV, if you are not using the extenda stay you are supposed to remove the pipe and fit the small brass blanking plug into the small connection on the T piece, that is why it's there. The excess flow device is not designed as a shut off valve when the bottle is not connected. (if the blanking plug is missing it should have been supplied with one from new and is attached to a small white plastic retainer that dangles from the T piece)
Dunc.

That makes sense Dunc, I have the cover on mine ..

Cheers

Jim

OP
OP
des

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
thanks dunc

westcroft never supplied the blanking plug, so i just left my extension loose in the gas locker. so i learned the hard way.

des

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back