Rally Chat March 2015 - Benicarlo, Spain - Fun rally (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Steve, do you know if it will be for 2 or 3 weeks yet? If it is 3 we will move our booking at Bonterra Park back a week.

Ginny

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Steve, do you know if it will be for 2 or 3 weeks yet? If it is 3 we will move our booking at Bonterra Park back a week.

Ginny

Not confirm on anything as yet Ginny...
Still a long way off and I am still trying to get some feedback on the site..
Dont want to make any commitment at this point, from feedback at Lincoln and the past meet at Bellavista then I think it will be best as a 2 week meet, however I am going to try and negotiate that anyone who wishes to stay longer will get the same rate...

More details when I have them..

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Steve. I know you said no more names but can we go on your 2nd reserve list if you have one please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Just back from Lincoln and there is plenty of interest for this...
I have seen the one report of the site not having large pitches and being a big scruffy but also Bee's comment that it's a nice place...
SO,,,,, We are still a long way off from this meet.. Can I ask that if anyone is heading that way over the next few week's and can give more feedback by making an up to date visit then it will be appreciated..
Numbers are well in to the 20's now.. Will post a provisional list very soon..

Rode past it last evening on my motorbike. Seems like a typical Spanish campsite rather than the modern Bella Vista that we stayed on last March. It is a fairly long walk to the town of Benicarlo. Cyclable though! The beach nearest the campsite is stony but from Benicarlo towards Peniscola the beaches are pretty fine.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not doing a reserve - reserve list as yet....... But leave the names on here and you never know..

My big concern here is that I have not been to this particular campsite and seen it "in the flesh" and parked a van there... !!
No issues with getting a rally / meet up and running for 2015 but having been to the likes of Marjal and Bellavista I am wondering if all would be happy... Typical Spainish site can mean so many things, good and bad..
Are there any other site suggestions as a back up ??????

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
I second Bonterra park indoor pool happy hour and very popular with the Brits. ccc club have a rally there. supermarket over the road. long promenade to walk along. right in the town.(y)(y)(y)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Steve you'll need to brush up on your golf to get on this one :rofl::france:
Golf is no better! only because aint played since Bella Vista!,

As we will be in Spain around this time we thought another meet would be excellent.
Hope you and Carol are both in rude health?

Steve & Sue xx

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Yabba
Oi whata you mean mr gibraltar, I used to like you, but you is a naughty boy for saying tings like that:p

Hope you and Annie are both well?

Oh and you be carefull on that BIG ..............sorry excuse for a motorbike.

Steve & Sue xx

yabba yabba yabba!

great to hear from you mate. how are things going? Be great if you could make the elite and join us wherever we are. Just keep pleading and begging. It worked for me last time.
Will keep checking the lists for you and the others who were at Manilva.
Love to Sue.

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Not doing a reserve - reserve list as yet....... But leave the names on here and you never know..

My big concern here is that I have not been to this particular campsite and seen it "in the flesh" and parked a van there... !!
No issues with getting a rally / meet up and running for 2015 but having been to the likes of Marjal and Bellavista I am wondering if all would be happy... Typical Spainish site can mean so many things, good and bad..
Are there any other site suggestions as a back up ??????

Hi Steve
Why not Try Rudi again. He may have come to his senses....

Deleted User
As promised we have visited Camping Alegria today, introduced ourselves and were shown round by a very nice, friendly young lady, whose name escapes me,one of the owners.

This is at least our third visit to the site over seven years, though we have never actually stayed, the owners have always been helpful and the site has expanded and improved over that time.

The pitches are mostly average size for Spanish sites, 60-90 sq m though some on the newer part of the site(bottom left on aerial photo) are longer and can accommodate longer outfits, though most of these are occupied by over winterers. I was assured that units up to 7.5 m would not normally have a problem but they would obviously need to know if many units larger than this would would be arriving. The new camping area which is expected to be open before the proposed meet(bottom right on aerial photo with cross through) will have larger pitches of around 130 sq m.

The facilities at the moment consist of the one block with four showers and toilets for each sex, pictures on the web site, a new block is being constructed now(workmen there during visit) with two more showers and toilets for each sex. When the new camping area is open there will be an additional block but I do not know how large.
The toilet block was clean and looked well maintained.

The bar/restaurant does a mixed English/Spanish menu with various tapas and Spanish dishes, themed nights are organised throughout the year and special events can be arranged but that is obviously for the 'ralliers' to investigate.

The site has, at a guess, 30 or so static caravans on site,around 50 touring pitches at the moment and the clientele is mostly British,but not exclusively.

I do not think a direct comparison with new sites such as Eco Marjal or Bellavista would be possible or fair, this is a small fairly compact site as many Spanish sites are.

As far as pitches, facilities and locality are concerned I would have no problem staying there, the other things on offer are down to individual taste.

Benicarlo is a typical Spanish town, not particularly pretty but real and has it's good points, plenty of bars, restaurants(at least two chinese) and on the southern side some nice beaches, a working harbour and marina.It is around a 15/20 minute walk, 5/10 min cycle ride and the Castello and other delights of Peniscola are a further 20/25 min cycle.

I will attempt to add some photo's though the last time I tried this they got mixed up with the text.
Aerial photo: IMG_1105.JPG
Beach near site looking towards VinarosIMG_1098.JPG
Centre of BenicarloIMG_1100.JPG
Beach S. Benicarlo near harbourIMG_1102.JPG
Bar/Restnt overlooking beach with €9 menu del diaIMG_1104.JPG

Today was regional public holiday in Valencia region, start of a long holiday weekend including Spanish National Day (12th) but holiday on Mon........lots of noise this weekend then :LOL:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Matamoros.... Thanks for the detailed report and pics.
As you say we cant expect a direct comparison with sites like Bellavista and Marjal but overall looks a good place to meet, with enough to do and adequate for our needs.. Maybe I will have to get vehicle lengths in advance and / or see if we can occupy the new pitches...

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning

I second Bonterra park indoor pool happy hour and very popular with the Brits. ccc club have a rally there. supermarket over the road. long promenade to walk along. right in the town.(y)(y)(y)

We would never get in at Bonterra, it is usually full. There is a C&c rally there in March.

Bonterra is a great site, which is why it is so popular.

Ginny​

We have not been to Bonterra but heard lot's of good feed back from people who have, looking at their site commencing 2nd March it's a good price at 12euros a night maybe could be worth a look

Last edited:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi Steve it was full at Bonterra when we went earlier in the year, not many pitches available had a job manoeuvring into the pitch, but we did get in.. Bar very friendly too ...

We are 8.2 metres long if that helps ..lots of trees too

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Been to bonterra and as said, they hold a lot of rallies there...
For me it's a place NOT to go for a rally as so many have already been and stayed there..

Been tied up here with a few family matters but will be back on the case soon..

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Everyone hanging on with Bated Breath Steve ;)

Sue

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Been to bonterra and as said, they hold a lot of rallies there...
For me it's a place NOT to go for a rally as so many have already been and stayed there..

Agree with you Steve.
Just left Benicassim this morning after staying at (for me) a much more usr-friendly and comfortable Camping Azahar. Much more Spanishy in feel but very clean. I did try to book into Bonterra when we arrived in Benicassim last Thursday. They had a couple of pitches but I got the feel of a camp far too "clinical" and businesslike for my liking. We politely declined the pitches and moved up to Azahar where we've enjoyed our stay and made more friends of fellow international capers and staff alike. Perhaps this site might be of interest?

Oct 1, 2014
Funster No
sounds interesting, this old be our first rally with you if it all turns out ok.....what route would you all be taking, weve never been to spain before....will weather be ok ..thanks again

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
The weather Jan to March can range from heavy snow to hot sunshine through France and Spain at any time even the same day. So plan for the worst and hope for the best, we have only got stuck in snow once at this time of year and were stranded for 24 hours but this is part of the adventure. We have travelled through France to Spain and taken the ferry direct to Spain its personal choice the cost is about the same but the ferry is quicker depending where you live in the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back