Morocco - breakdown insurance & sites to stay at? (1 Viewer)

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi folks,

currently meandering our way down through Spain into Portugal for Xmas. As we are so close we might "pop over" to Morocco!

Couple of questions -

Breakdown insurance - can you get any? we are with saga so ins & green card seems to be ok. waiting on a reply regards our b'down.

Sites - any websites / guides with campsites or guarded parking locations? Vicarious book i am told is out of date!

thanks

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Vicarious book is out of date but still very, very useful as most of the sites in it are still there. Prices have gone up though.
There is a very useful French guide book which you can occasionally find on eBay Broken Link Removed
It's in French but if you have a rudimentary grasp of the language you will make sense of it. It includes a lot of the guardian parking places.
We got our breakdown insurance through ADAC but there have been conflicting reports about whether they are accepting new members from the UK. It's worth a try as it is very good value http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
other than eljadida we never used any campsites .
mind did use the adams family campsite on the aglou plage to sidi ifni road . the one behind the restaurant . they arent really called adams family but if you use it you will know why we call it that.
as for breakdowns . just get a mate to pull you to a village . mechanics are every where .
or they will organize a tow etc .

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
other than eljadida we never used any campsites .
mind did use the adams family campsite on the aglou plage to sidi ifni road . the one behind the restaurant . they arent really called adams family but if you use it you will know why we call it that.
as for breakdowns . just get a mate to pull you to a village . mechanics are every where .
or they will organize a tow etc .
Yes understood as we stayed there with Tonka and MrMotorhome ..just as you said lolol have a look for the water outlet xx

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
been using adams family for years . great family really . very friendly and are ok . almost bought one of the houses near there a few years ago. as it was i got divorced so never did it .
luckily my truck just fits under the arch way . and i can just spin it around if there arent too many in there .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi folks,

currently meandering our way down through Spain into Portugal for Xmas. As we are so close we might "pop over" to Morocco!

Couple of questions -

Breakdown insurance - can you get any? we are with saga so ins & green card seems to be ok. waiting on a reply regards our b'down.

Sites - any websites / guides with campsites or guarded parking locations? Vicarious book i am told is out of date!

thanks
ive heard that Syria and Libya are nice quiet places for a spot of camping over christmas and new year lol
seriously, i would give all of north africa a broad swerve for the foreseeable future. it wont be breakdown insurance you need, but body repatriation the way things are currently

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
to be honest i think the greatest risk in morocco will be kids throwing stones at campers . its quite tame in morocco. the people arent always happy with the authority control over them ,but it is getting very western . the riots the other year was against the govt , not tourists . unfortunately you could have got involved by accident .
we were in a cafe by the police station in larache the night before the police station was burnt down . there was some local talk about something was going to happen and we were asked when we was going to leave . it happened soon after . were we asked so no harm came to us ?i think so. i would like to think the locals we know didnt want us harmed . on the whole i find moroccans great people and have many friends there .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
on the whole i find moroccans great people

agree Alan.. they are, and as you pointed out before, the majority are not Arabs, but Berbers.. chalk and cheese..

but it's the radicalized ones coming back from Syria that will cause problems.. same issue we may face here in the UK

Stone throwing is always a worry.. a busted screen could put a real dampener on a trip..

to answer the OP .. I believe, .. don't quote me, ADAC do Morocco breakdown cover http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

sites are few and far between.. at best very basic , at worst .. awful.. check this map for places we stayed.. some sites and some wild..
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zu3GGzrZD4Hg.k-jg26x5rWdI&authuser=0&hl=en

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
always thought best use a vehicle with the standard vehicle screen .
i,m lucky they made my model mitzy up untill quite recently in casablanca . new screens are in almost every town . i noticed how many there was on the roads there so it did play apart in my choice of vehicle .
mind the vwlt i had before screens were always available . i think its the A class screens cause the biggest heartbreak .

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I've asked on this site about what could be the problems at the moment, when we visited with Tonka, Champers and TerryL etc we had no problems, we took loads of lollipops, sweets, little colouring pencils and when we saw kids we smiled waved and gave them something, ( on the move if there was a number). If you go you will enjoy it

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
From past threads it looks like ADAC have stopped taking new UK cusomers, they seem to be re-newing existing ones.. Be aware that even with ADAC, you dont get a breakdown truck or anyone coming to you in Morocco.. It's a case of sort it yourself and keep receipts, then make a claim once you are back... This is the same as supplied with Comfort / Aviva insurance cover and I moved to them from Safeguard especially for the Morocco trips..

Vicarious is dated but gives some idea, however on our trip this year we found quiet a few new dedicated areas that had sprung up.. Some of the best ones are always those passed on from people you meet or from here on the forum.. VWALAN told us about "adams family" and that was great, a young couple in a panel van travelling with 4 small kids gave us the low down on central parking in Marrakech and again that was another highlight..

I take it that you have read the Morocco 2013 and 2014 threads as some info there...

We are still undecided on Morocco for 2015. Ebola, I may have more chance of catching around here !!
Kidnapping.. My wife says no one would want me..
Stone throwing at my lovely van, not nice but it's only a van. However during the whole 2 trips we have done only 1 small incident happened, with some young teenage boys trying to place rocks in the road to stop us and then banged the side of the van...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my advise would be dont throw out sweets etc from moving vehicles . many do. but do visit village schools etc then the teacher controls the children . do stop talk to them . use french or try english . many speak english . even 6-7 yr olds . try arabic but many speak berber ,its different.
we have actually camped in school play grounds loads of times . they actually like it get invited to many locals houses for cous cous etc .
it is getting much moderner now things are changing fast.
dont think ebola is too much to worry about ,yet.
think driving down to gambia etc would be more dangerous for it .
i can say libya was a great place . very friendly and not at all like we are told . shame its how it is now .
lets hope it all settles soon . there are many great adventure out there to be had .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
From past threads it looks like ADAC have stopped taking new UK cusomers, they seem to be re-newing existing ones.. Be aware that even with ADAC, you dont get a breakdown truck or anyone coming to you in Morocco.. It's a case of sort it yourself and keep receipts, then make a claim once you are back... ..

Have read that also about ADAC , but others say they still take new UK members.. guess there is only one way to find out..
and yes, the cover is only reimbursement.. not a nice AA man with a van..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just about every one i know takes big very strong tow poles or really good tow straps etc .
have known others get towed from desert places hundreds of miles to a busy town . or if coming to the end of holiday back into spain . they dont allow you to tow in spain but you can possibly park in the port car park and organize further travel from there .
but in morocco its possibly easier to get a vehicle going than in europe .
even the modern electric controlled vehicles can be catered for . they arent behind in technology .
possibly infront of many uk garages .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
just about every one i know takes big very strong tow poles or really good tow straps etc .
have known others get towed from desert places hundreds of miles to a busy town . or if coming to the end of holiday back into spain . they dont allow you to tow in spain but you can possibly park in the port car park and organize further travel from there .
but in morocco its possibly easier to get a vehicle going than in europe .
even the modern electric controlled vehicles can be catered for . they arent behind in technology .
possibly infront of many uk garages .

good advice Alan..

if you're going to a country like Morocco you should to be better prepared than taking a trip in Europe..

strong tow rope, spare wheel and if you have space, a second spare tyre, plus the tools and kit to repair a puncture yourself.. including a decent hydraulic jack, axle stands a a means of inflation.. .. a decent tool kit and a few spares.. like alternator belt, oil filter, water pump, etc..

there are some good sites on how to prepare for long distance travel.. being self reliant is better than waiting for help..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back