Standing on roof (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
On returning home from holiday I found the roof of my m/h covered in a gritty substance. It appears to have become "baked on" and is proving difficult to remove.

I am having to polish, by hand, (long handled brush will not allow sufficient pressure from ladder), using "Silky".

As I am unable to reach all parts, particularly the centre of over cab, I wonder if it is possible to stand on roof?

The m/h is a Swift Sundance. The roof feels firm but I am not convinced of its strength.

Any knowledge of this or any ideas to help ?

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
you may want to use a spreader board, like roofers use, to spread the weight, bit like a scaffold board.

Hymie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Whatever you do, just be careful!!!!:Eeek:

I had my roof cleaned by a contractor. He never got on the roof, he didn't need too. He simply put a padded ladder against the side and, using a long handled brush and cleaning agent, cleaned the roof from there :)

I used Autoglym Motorhome and Caravan cleaner to do mine the first year. Brilliant stuff :)

image.jpg

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Maison you should be able to walk on your roof, just don't make a habit of it. A customer of mine thought that because the handbook said that he could walk on the roof that it was alright to go up there nearly every day strapping and unstrapping wakeboards (he is a fulltimer). this resulted in all his rooflights leaking.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i use a kiddies "body board " the foam filled type it spreads the weight and saves the knees. not thta i make a habit of crawling around on the roof on my knees :rolleyes:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Maison, I also have a Sundance 630L and have been on the roof a few times like a pig in tights. The OHC is a problem and, as a result, is dull in parts so I will be watching this thread for helpful comments. I use a telescopic ladder with foam on the top to get onto the roof, mainly to clean the solar panels. I weigh 16 1/2 stone and (so far) I haven't ended up inside the van yet :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Regarding cleaning of the over cab Luton (any van), I had the same problem when we had our Autoquest 100 (based on a 2004 Boxer).

Following a posting on here from Chris FreelanderUK I bought a Broken Link Removed ladder (4.75m version not the smaller ones. When set up as a platform there was sufficient clearance for it to be set up over the bonnet, enabling me to reach the parts of the Luton which I could not reach from the sides.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for all the responses.

The ladder to the side of the m/h is fine for the roof. The substance on the over cab is too strongly bonded to the surface to remove with just a brush. It appears to be a cement dust type of material and requires downward pressure on the cleaning rag, more than can be applied using the long handled brush I have.

All the comments were helpful thank you. I will tread carefully with a board to spread the weight and will probably invest in the "Big Ref Foot Ladder" for future occasions.

Cheers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back