What's an Electrician. (2 Viewers)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
1. Maybe I am qualified and hence don't need to do anything else. (This was the answer I hoped to get)
2. Maybe I am qualified but all I need to do is register.
3. I am not qualified, but take this test and you will be.
4. I am not qualified, but you need to take the following course etc.
5. Nothing you have is relevant, start at the beginning as a newbie.

Why did I ask, because I didn't know the answer.

I do know now from your reply and others, I need to take Part P. :)

Whether that is sufficient I would probably learn on the course, but the course is in the region of £560 so not worth for a one off socket. As Scotland Jim said, with our experience we should be legally able to do it, but we're not.

C'est la vie :cry:

Similar story here, am qualified to wire equipment into explosive atmospheres, (which mean that if the wiring is wrong, the whole place goes bang) but the law say that as I am not part P registered then I am not able to wire a shower or a light in a bathroom.

This is where common sense comes into it...........................................................you can guess the rest.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
similar situation with gas to work on a small boiler in a house you have to have a lot of paperwork to cover your bum, 10 billion btu cornflake cooker in a factory no qualifications needed

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
1. Maybe I am qualified and hence don't need to do anything else. (This was the answer I hoped to get)
2. Maybe I am qualified but all I need to do is register.
3. I am not qualified, but take this test and you will be.
4. I am not qualified, but you need to take the following course etc.
5. Nothing you have is relevant, start at the beginning as a newbie.

Why did I ask, because I didn't know the answer.

I do know now from your reply and others, I need to take Part P. :)

Whether that is sufficient I would probably learn on the course, but the course is in the region of £560 so not worth for a one off socket. As Scotland Jim said, with our experience we should be legally able to do it, but we're not.

C'est la vie :cry:

Apart from getting qualified it would seem to me there are 2 other options.
1.Get a local 'qualified' electrician to do the work and certify it.
2.Do the work yourself,and get the above mentioned electrician to certify it.
I'm assuming you feel the need for a certificate because you talk about doing the work 'legally' and that would be the way to show that you had done that.
Personally if I had your experience I'd just go ahead and do it ;)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hmmmmmm.....I have an HNC in plugging an extension lead into an existing socket. I can then legally run it outside, or across the roof, even stick my pond pump into it. When, and if, I come to sell my house, I can just unplug the extension cable, re- wind it, then bung it into the removal van. :)(y)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If you are competent, and confident that your work will meet the relevant standards, why tell tell 'Big Brother'?
Of course if you aren't competent, don't touch it!

You won't have potential buyers wielding a circuit drawing of your house at sale time, nor will your insurance company if the place burns down, so basically its all b******cks!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And Building Control wont have anyone qualified to sign it off anyway, thats why there not interested

Reading the CV's of Scot Jim and Mike B I see they appear to have no experience installing a 13 amp socket:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:;)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
If you are competent, and confident that your work will meet the relevant standards, why tell tell 'Big Brother'?
Of course if you aren't competent, don't touch it!

You won't have potential buyers wielding a circuit drawing of your house at sale time, nor will your insurance company if the place burns down, so basically its all b******cks!!!

Because too many people think they are competent. They think that if the electricity starts at one end of the cable and appears at the other end, then the installation must be correct :roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Reading the CV's of Scot Jim............ no experience installing a 13 amp socket

correct .. never been employed as a 'house basher' .. different apprenticeship and different qualifications..

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
In order to comply with the Regs (which are forever changing) you need to have a copy of the latest to read. How many of those who say they are competent have a copy I wonder?

It is very easy to see whether electrical work was carried out before or after the changes in the Regs. That is because the wiring colours changed at the same time as the Regs.

When you sell your house you will be required to answer certain standard questions posed by the purchaser. One of those will ask if any changes or new work carried out by you or on your behalf complied with the relevant Regs. And you will also be expected to provide any certificates for the new wiring. If it is later found that you answered that question without knowing or reasonably believing the answer to be correct then the purchaser can sue you. It has happened before I understand.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It is very easy to see whether electrical work was carried out before or after the changes in the Regs. That is because the wiring colours changed at the same time as the Regs.

good point.. for those unaware of the changes since 2004 ..
to have have black as L2 phase colour I think is stupid , huge potential for confusion.. but all in the name of EU harmonization..

Pre-1977 IEE Pre-2004 IEE Current IEC
Protective earth (PE)
Neutral (N)
Single phase: Line (L)
Three-phase: L1
Three-phase: L2
Three-phase: L3

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
good point.. for those unaware of the changes since 2004 ..
to have have black as L2 phase colour I think is stupid , huge potential for confusion.. but all in the name of EU harmonization..

Pre-1977 IEE Pre-2004 IEE Current IEC
Protective earth (PE)
Neutral (N)
Single phase: Line (L)
Three-phase: L1
Three-phase: L2
Three-phase: L3
Been looking for a map of the Moscow underground for ages!! Thanks Jim!!. :):)(y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You can hide behind all the excuses you like Mike just fit Dawn the bloody socket and have done with it :D ANYONE paying nearly £400 for toast is certifiable :whistle:
terry

OP
OP
Mike B
Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
:D ANYONE paying nearly £400 for toast is certifiable :whistle:
terry

Made at least 20 slices now so that brings the mean cost down to nearly £20 a slice, but the cost is still going down :)

The socket has been fitted while I was away, I think it was the electron fairy that done it, yer 'onour
electrician-smiley-emoticon.gif

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
Wickolad wrote As previously mentioned, if you can lay your hands on some old 2.5, problem solved

Even Twin & Earth 7/029 cable a lot better than metric crap

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Recently purchased a small bungalow for No.2 son whilst he is a at Uni, saves paying some landlord £500 per month. Anyway, it needed some work and during that had a call from the electrician, saying it's all aluminium cable, a fire risk, and needs to come out. Arranges to meet him there, where I was able to inform him that it was not aluminium, but 7 x 029 & 7 x 044 and that I forbade him to remove it. But it's aluminium in colour says he. That's because it's tinned says I. Qualified electrician ? I've forgotten more. My dad would turn in his grave.

He got on the phone to someone and after the call said that I was right, whoever he was speaking too, he said, must have been as old as me because he knew what I was talking about. Then he packed up his tools, because I asked him to leave. o_O

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
had a call from the electrician, saying it's all aluminium cable, a fire risk, and needs to come out. Arranges to meet him there, where I was able to inform him that it was not aluminium, but 7 x 029 & 7 x 044 and that I forbade him to remove it. But it's aluminium in colour says he. That's because it's tinned says I. Qualified electrician ?

you couldn't make it up.. :doh:

I wonder what course he did at College.. :rolleyes:

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
lighting 3/029 Twin & Earth
ring main 7/029 Twin & Earth
cooker point 7/044 Twin & Earth

The first number is the number of strands and the last csa
A lot better and flexible to work with not like metric crap
I bet there as been some cockups with the new colours black now a phase colour instead of being neutral.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
NOT if you use some older type cable that you just happen to have hung on to for a while ... :rolleyes: ... I knew my hoarding of bits and pieces would come in handy one day and it did when we did some 'modifications' to the wiring in our kitchen earlier this year .... (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back