Moto-Trek delivery schedule - a word of warning for any prospective purchasers (2 Viewers)

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
When I ordered our Rapido in France I was given a delivery date which turned out Rapido could not adhere to, the van was a month late and as a good will gesture Rapido included built in Sat Nav DVD CD and Radio value 1400 euros free.

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Did you take delivery on 5th and are you happy
Yes we picked it up on the 5th and used it last weekend in the Lakes and are heading off towards Germany for two weeks on Sunday. Yes we are happy with it, as I said in an earlier post this was a bespoke design and Moto-Trek have managed to interpret our requirements well. Inevitably there are a small number of snagging issues and to be fair to Moto-Trek they are arranging to have the van collected on our return from holiday and sort these out. So on balance I am pleased that we held our nerve - we have got a cracking van at a good price.

I think that Moto-Trek know that they have dropped a clanger in terms of customer relations with a number of customers and they are trying desperately to address this issue now, they clearly didn't expect the uptake in sales that came following the vans release, and that, coupled with some problems in the supply chains led to the issues for others and others - this was all compounded by not keeping customers properly informed.

Anyway better go and get packed......

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Pleased you finally got it and pleased with it. Almost inevitable that there will be a few snags with a hand built product. Cheers! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If anyone wants one, secondhand, I'd guess that the re-sale value is seriously devalued.........after this thread :wasntme:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It will probably always be a niche product (shame, as well designed and executed slides are a great idea) but they need to gain a critical mass. They have this in the equine world already but the customer base here is different.
  • No expensive wagons paid for with unlimited sponsorship money
  • No rich people spoiling darling little Clamydia to take her pony to gymkhana
  • No wagon is going to have seven bells kicked out of if by a stroppy heavy creature (some Funsters excepted........)
  • Instead, the customers are very conservative
  • Want a known product which works out of the box
  • At the upper end of the market
  • Are used to not seeing gobs of sealant on the inside of the van
  • Vote very quickly with their feet
Witness the failure of Bentley and IH in the coach built market, both built high quality products but could not gain that critical mass; IH going back to what they did best (loved the IH coachbuilts, though, but drew the line when the spec reached 70K) and Bentley going under.

I really hope that EquiTrek do well, but suspect that after a couple of years they will follow the Auto-Sleeper example with their very nice caravans and quietly drop them, using the experience gained to perhaps put slides on their nag boxes, provided they can make them without leaking, which is everyone's big concern (the one they provided for the MMM test leaked badly). Critical mass is everything, to reduce the overall cost per unit and to gain a real physical presence. Bailey did it very successfully, quality product based on their own expertise, so no reason why EquiTrek cannot - but Bailey researched, tested, researched again and launched the finished product, not a development one.

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
If you re-read the thread it isn't an amazing endorsement of the company.
I suppose it isn't, I tend to read forum threads like I read Trip Advisor and look at the good and the bad - but place more weighting on the average. I also tend to gauge a company by how it responds to problems, the bottom line is the Moto-Trek brought a new product to market at a very keen price and didn't expect the surge in sales they got, they actually tried to dampen this surge by increasing the base price by £3k in the first six months. As everyone in business knows it takes time to respond to an increase in sales and put in place the systems and resources required, where Moto-Trek went wrong is in not clearly relaying these problems to customers, if they had contacted us in May and told us that realistically your not going to have the van until September but we will knock £X of the price so go and have a holiday elsewhere - like Rapidio did for FrogJock then I would have felt a lot happier.

I think Moto-Trek have learnt from their mistake and the service we are now getting is what you should expect when making this level of investment.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the above - they get their act together and get a good name in the non Clarissa market then they will do ok. Enjoy the van and keep us posted on how it all pans out. Some pictures would be good as well and this will help all Funsters understand why these are so different, plus feedback to MotoTrek as well, as no doubt they are reading this and one hopes, taking note.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
My Dad has ordered a MotoTrek delivery scheduled for April 2015 will keep you posted

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
340kg payload!!!!!!!!
take off 70kg of water reduces it to 270.................30kg of gas...........hope neither of the owners are of a generous proportion

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Then add an awning, plus a tank of fresh water plus food and bedding.......

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
340kg payload!!!!!!!!
take off 70kg of water reduces it to 270.................30kg of gas...........hope neither of the owners are of a generous proportion
Built on the HW chassis, so pay £300 to SVTech and uprate to 4200, that's quite a good wine allowance.

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Thanks for the above - they get their act together and get a good name in the non Clarissa market then they will do ok. Enjoy the van and keep us posted on how it all pans out. Some pictures would be good as well and this will help all Funsters understand why these are so different, plus feedback to MotoTrek as well, as no doubt they are reading this and one hopes, taking note.

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Leisure trekka 1.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks.. any photos of the inside please ?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought the idea was to go to dealer and buy what is there, or in my case a customer of theirs 8 years later.
The thought of paying 20% VAT is a killer

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I thought the idea was to go to dealer and buy what is there, or in my case a customer of theirs 8 years later.
The thought of paying 20% VAT is a killer
We wanted something bespoke so buying second-hand wasn't an option.
Depends what it is 20% of - ie the net price.
Buying second-hand from a dealer you will still pay an element of VAT - the amount depends if they are using a marginal basis or not.
Buying privately has its own problems.

As in everything motorhome related it is all a question of where you want to compromise.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We wanted something bespoke so buying second-hand wasn't an option.
Depends what it is 20% of - ie the net price.
Buying second-hand from a dealer you will still pay an element of VAT - the amount depends if they are using a marginal basis or not.
Buying privately has its own problems.

As in everything motorhome related it is all a question of where you want to compromise.
Excellent decision fastpat looks lovely and as you say it was to exact specification so worth the 20% if you can afford it and as you say buying new gives you peace of mind for a number of years, any issues straight back to the manufacture to put right
I bought new and people always quote the vat thing but am happy as you are so enjoy it

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Why are the interior doors different colours??? Or is it my eyes??
No you dont need to rush to the opticians, they are "contrasting" in the flesh they look lovely - it's just my photography doesn't do them justice.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thought when Moto Trek advertised having the first UK coachbuilt with a slide out that they were the only ones doing this so far but also available in van conversion from IH although bit of a dream for us at around £80,000 might be of interest to some wealthy Funster out there?! See Broken Link Removed
Will be having look/dream at this one at the NEC:)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Sorry to hear of the delay.. that must be so annoying to say the least.. I do hope you take delivery soon.. I'm sure the wait will be worth it and all the frustration forgotten once you get away on your first trip.

We are going through the same process of researching and deciding on a new panel van conversion .. it's a daunting task and getting it right is not easy.. but that's one less convertor on my list.

just for info, I looked at their deliver terms.. I'm afraid they have the delay covered..

6.2 Any dates quoted for delivery of the Goods are approximate only and the Seller shall not be liable for any delay in delivery of the Goods however caused. Time for delivery shall not be of the essence of the Contract unless previously agreed by the Seller in Writing. The Goods may be delivered by the Seller in advance of the quoted delivery date on giving reasonable notice to the Buyer.
I suggest
Sorry to hear of the delay.. that must be so annoying to say the least.. I do hope you take delivery soon.. I'm sure the wait will be worth it and all the frustration forgotten once you get away on your first trip.

I would suggest that the T's & C's are 'unfair' under the current law 'Unfair Contracts' particularly as their actions have seriously impacted on the buyer

We are going through the same process of researching and deciding on a new panel van conversion .. it's a daunting task and getting it right is not easy.. but that's one less convertor on my list.

just for info, I looked at their deliver terms.. I'm afraid they have the delay covered..

6.2 Any dates quoted for delivery of the Goods are approximate only and the Seller shall not be liable for any delay in delivery of the Goods however caused. Time for delivery shall not be of the essence of the Contract unless previously agreed by the Seller in Writing. The Goods may be delivered by the Seller in advance of the quoted delivery date on giving reasonable notice to the Buyer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back