antsav

Free Member
Mar 10, 2013
coventry
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Hi all, i have converted a high top Vauxhall Vivaro to a camper, i'm looking for a reasonably priced drive away awning, anyone recommend decent ones that will fit my high top van / all the ones i seem to see are for low top vans :Smile::Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Outdoor Revolution Movelite Range is good quality at an economical price!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I have a movelight XL awning 3.00 x 3.00 x 2.9m high with the drive away fitting for sale. It is brand new I have never used it. I think it was about £200when I bought it. I would accept £100.

Spongy

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
SunnCamp Aspect DL

We have one of the above and are very pleased with it. It withstood some serious winds in Spain this winter.

We bought ours from here but I'm sure they're widely available:
Link Removed

It may also interest you to know, our van is about 300mm taller than the recommended maximum height but the awning fits perfectly.

Upvote 0

Dvdburn

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Vivaro Van
Exp
Is it still for sale ?

I have a movelight XL awning 3.00 x 3.00 x 2.9m high with the drive away fitting for sale. It is brand new I have never used it. I think it was about £200when I bought it. I would accept £100.

Spongy

Please let me know ASAP if you still have it. Thanks

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Dave,
can heartily recommend this one - it's a Khyam Motordome sleeper, sleeps 4 in separate bedrooms or as we use it most of the time without the inner bedrooms. 3mx5.25m which is mahoosive and is a true drive away. Pull out the strip at the top of the MH to awning connecting tunnel and away you go - Erects (ahem) in minutes and is dead easy - brilliant.:thumb:

Hope it helps,

Trikeman. :winky:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dvdburn

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Vivaro Van
Exp
Thanks for the recommendations

I have Works Vivaro van I want to be able to attach one onto.
Both look great, but look expensive, I am looking to spend around £150
The forum won't let me send a private to spongy, he as prob sold it I guess by now. :cry:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Upvote 0

Froggy

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Vereeniging, South Africa
Funster No
MH
Sprinter Campervan
Exp
3 (caravaning 30 years)
I have never seen one of them before. It looks more like a tent than a awning. As far as I know they dont sell them in South Africa. Must say I like the idea.:thumb: Harry

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
How do you propose to attach it to your van?
The movelite xl and the xlf come with a strap system so that if you have no wind out awning to attach it to then you can use the straps to fix it to the van. The straps go over the roof and peg down on the other side. Effective and pretty watertight if you have no other options. Driving off I'd a matter of just unplugging it.
If you have a wind out awning then a very cheap kit attaches the movelite (and other brands) to the awning whilst it is wound in.

Upvote 0

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
We have movelite xl with annexe for Sale, put it up in garden found it too big and put it away again, £100 but would have to be collected as very heavy. Has got fixing kit etc. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Dvdburn

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Vivaro Van
Exp
Bit far away from Sheffeld. Woud you reconsider postage ?

Can it be used as a tent too?

Thanks

Dave

Upvote 0

Wanderingmac

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 22, 2013
Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1992
is awning still for sale

We have movelite xl with annexe for Sale, put it up in garden found it too big and put it away again, £100 but would have to be collected as very heavy. Has got fixing kit etc. :Smile:

Hi is your awning still for sale? I would be interested in buying it. I live in Ireland but would be in Dorset towards end of October if it is still available. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Bootneck

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Herts
Funster No
MH
Class2
Exp
8yrs
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I've just sold my Kyham motorhome sleeper plus which was exactly the same as the photo that Trikeman has posted above.
I bought it in the January sales and saved £60 (went up at end of Jan)
Used it loads of times and very easy to put up and take down - got it down to a matter of minutes putting it up on my own but hard work when the weather is windy.
Would I buy a drive away awning again? No.
My wife accidentally tore the hood which attaches the awning to the van. the side sliding door edge went through the material.
This was because when you take the van out and unattach the awning, it's a right bugger to line up the van to re-attach the hood of the awning on your return.
I used to put pegs as tyre markers to try help lining it up but this was no good in the dark.
My personal recommendation would be to buy a decent tent and not bother with a drive away awning. Even better, fit a fiamma canopy and that's your hood between van and tent.
However, if your set on a drive away awning, the Kyham motorhome sleeper served its purpose, was fairly light, has a sleeping compartment for four plus a large living space.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A 'read only' funster recently asked me via a PM about getting a drive away awning for their 2012 Accent (same as we have) and the below are some relevant bits of my response which may be of interest (the 'read only' one didn't even bother to come back to say thanks for taking the time! :cautious:):

We've had loads of them, more than 10 funsters would have in their lifetime probably :LOL: - we've bought them for ourselves over the years and sold them on when they were no longer appropriate for our needs.

I'm a big fan of Outdoor Revolution (OR) awnings as they are well made and have had the VRX, Square (at least 2 models if not 3!), Midi and XL (2 models) of their Movelite range, of various ages. For a PVC though only the Midi and XL versions are wide enough to accommodate the side sliding door being fully opened. We actually bought the Midi (Ebay) specifically for our 'new to us' van but were a disappointed with the fit even though it was originally designed specifically for PVCs. We've had other makes too from the likes of Riviera, Royal, Sunncamp, Outwell etc.

We've also had caravan type large porch awnings too and whilst they work quite well obviously if you want to be able to drive away they aren't ideal (although they can be detached and re-attached but its a bit fiddly) and have a tendency to move about more on the PVC than a drive away does due to them not being able to be fixed so well to it, but for when stopping at the likes of a MH show for the weekend when you don't intend to move your van at all they are a cheap, quick and easy alternative and also are smaller when packed away.

We've also had a Vango Kela standard air awning too but found that even though the 'tunnel' part went high enough to be attached above the sliding door the tunnel had quite a slope so the door caught on it, but the tall version wouldn't have been any better as the only thing that is different is the height the tunnel part as the height of the actually drive away awning itself was the same. When we were at the Peterborough show in April we were able to see some other versions of the air awnings and the OR Oxygen one was better as the main awning was a bit taller so the tunnel wasn't at such a steep angle, but I'd still be concerned in case it was too low. Another thing we weren't keen on was the packed size of them - they are huge! With the ground sheets being an integral part they can't be separated so using them on a grass pitch could be a problem on sites where a breathable one is required, and you'd really need a footprint to put underneath to protect the bottom of the groundsheet/keep it clean as it's easier to clean a foot print (basically a tarpaulin made to match the shape of the base), so more bulk to carry. We also noticed that they don't have much in the way of windows so can be a bit gloomy and there are trip hazards in the doorways etc as the groundsheet comes up (about 4 inches or so high) so you have to be careful going in/out, indeed if you want to push a wheelchair in, or a bike even, you'd have to lift it over the edge. Whilst they are quick to pump up IMV they are no easier to put up than a good 'normal' type drive-away awning if you know what you're doing.

Whilst at Peterborough we also bought a used DWK drive away awning but it was just a bit too low for our camper so had to reluctantly sell it as it was really good. The one we have currently for our own use is a Sunncamp Companion 300 which we got for a VERY good price from one of the stall-holders as it had been on display all weekend, in fact we got it at below cost because we'd bought quite a few other things off them and hubby is a very good haggler!!! (y)

Broken Link Removed

There's also the 350 one but it would swamp a PVC! Apart from some of the general design features, what we really like about it is that it has metal legs and fibreglass roof poles so is much easier to put up than those that have only fibreglass poles and is much more stable, in fact it can be easily put up by one person (I've done this!) but attaching it to the PVC is easier with some help if you are using the figure of 8' kit to attach it as you'll struggle without a spare set of hands! It also has a 'window' in the roof so lets in more light and a nice 'porch' at the front so in bad weather we can still have the front open without the rain coming in. Our model is a creamy colour rather than the 2 tone grey one that is the current model, there are a few on Ebay and the one below is the 2014 model which might be worth a punt - if you get it cheaply enough and find you don't like it you should be able to get your money back without a problem:

Broken Link Removed

This thread also discusses awnings which might be of interest:

Broken Link Removed

Note that in addition to awnings (MH, PVC and caravan) we've also had LOTS of tents (hubby does some buying and selling of caravan and camping kit etc :rolleyes: ) so I've put up lots of awnings and tents in my time, and having to work out how to do it without instructions can be 'interesting', I've also had to sew/repair a few too! What this has done, though, is made me realised how badly designed and rubbish some are and also appreciate good ones so when I come across something which is really good I will say so, and IMV the Sunncamp one is a very, very good awning.​

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would I buy a drive away awning again? No.
My wife accidentally tore the hood which attaches the awning to the van. the side sliding door edge went through the material.
This was because when you take the van out and unattach the awning, it's a right bugger to line up the van to re-attach the hood of the awning on your return.
I used to put pegs as tyre markers to try help lining it up but this was no good in the dark.

I use some strips of orange ribbon which I peg down alongside the side of the tyres and a smaller piece which goes across the edge of the front tyre at a right angle to the side ribbon so that I know not only where the side of the tyre needs to sit but also how far along too, this makes lining the van up to reattach the awning tunnel much easier, however if it was dark I'd leave it until the following day and then re-attach it anyway. I would also recommend using a drive away awning kit too as again this makes it much easier to detach and re-attach.

Upvote 0

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
I've got a Movelite XL 3.1M x 3.1M no longer needed. If anyone's interested, no reasonable offer refused. I bought it 2nd. hand and only used it twice. It's complete with all straps and figure 8 strip. As it's so heavy, it'll be a case of buyer collects, I'm afraid.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Like the Fiamma awning with Windblocker panel on front & Jormax windbreaks for shorter stays in good weather but have now just bought a bargain (I hope!) 3mx3m driveaway awning for poor weather & longer stays see Broken Link Removed
Crucial part is the height as goes up to 290cm which is hard to find anywhere near this price range - no worries about being useable when on ramps. Old stock from Riversway originally but Riviera Mobil 300 got good reviews online. It is listed as £125 but can try Best Offer like we did(y)- only 2 left in stock now.Ours should be delivered tomorrow so can report back here if any good once put up.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Update - don't rush to buy the above yet as received one that is obviously customer return so not unused or in excellent condition as described :(

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update - don't rush to buy the above yet as received one that is obviously customer return so not unused or in excellent condition as described :(
To me unused means not put up and used as an awning IMV, taken out of the bag and looked at, by either the customer or Riversway is a different thing ... they DO mention this in their listing:

This awning is unused, taken out of the bag for inspection purposes only and is in excellent condition. Please Note: Inner Tent is not included.

But they do say they are sold ad second hand ... which, if they have been previously sold, they are ...

These items are manufacturer returns, which are inspected by ourselves to the best of our ability and any major defects found will be repaired and mentioned in the description. All of these items are sold as second-hand and do not come with a warranty. You may find some minor faults or small marks which are not mentioned in the description, but will not be detrimental to its usage.

So, has yours actually BEEN USED AS AN AWNING, or just taken out of the bag? To be honest at that price even a well used second hand one would be a good buy!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back