Who converts new Ford Transits or Merc Spinters into camper vans ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
yes but i think renault are still doing a rwd . as well.
my mate built a similar conversion to the sahara on an ldv but high bed at rear.
they may do a special one off for him .

Devon only convert the front wheel drive Renault because the floor is lower and they are not interested in design modification unfortunately unlike Nu Venture apparently.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
devon havent been the same since they left the vulcan works in exeter . mind better still as j,p,whites of sidmouth .
i still have things that came from the auction when vulcan works shut .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Jim not sure what it's built on but have you considered a Fife tourer, as far as I believe they will built one to your spec and can be fully winterised. All hand built in their own factory.

http://www.eastneukcampervans.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Devon Conversions also build on Renault and their quality and value for money is very good, shame about their attitude at the factory.

Yes you can say that again, that Mr Gowland is something else when you speak to him, he tries to convince you you want what he wants you to have. If you want winterised steer clear of Devon, he doesn't believe in it.

Paul.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I looked for ages Jim, considered loads of options, buy our own merc and get someone to do it, spoke to quite a lot of converters aout t, Vectra motorhomes, S &L motorhoms, Nu venture, a few local ones. Really wanted a merc one at 5.91 metres, a lot of the established ones(IH, Lunar etc) only build on the 6.9 metre one, far too long for us. RS motorhomes merc panel van is even longer.

Saw a nice one for ale from a small converter, RC motorhomes of Devon but the payload was useless, also considered the resale on a unheard of converter (DIY) one would be useless.

Seriously considered a La Strada regent S but far too expensive.

Also not too keen on the new generation mercs, I always think the old 2.7 ones (pre 2007) 5 cylinder are the best.

Looked at a La Strada Nova in Germany, cracking well built vans and good length, pre 2007, the post 2007 ones are 6.3 metres, too long for me.

We then started looing at Fiats and arranged a visit to the La Strada factory as the uk dealer was useless(Elite).

In the end we cancelled and finished up with a 2005 murvi morello on a Fiat 2.8 maxi chassis.

Nice van the murvi but I sometimes think ''Should we have gone for the La Strada'' Not many for sale though.

Paul

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Jim not sure what it's built on but have you considered a Fife tourer, as far as I believe they will built one to your spec and can be fully winterised. All hand built in their own factory.

http://www.eastneukcampervans.co.uk

They will cost a fortune in import duty if tomorrows result is yes Gerry. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
There is a good reason not to build a transverse bed on a merc its not wide enough

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph couldn't originally decide on a base vehicle for our PVC .
Anyway , come November we have a brand new, new shape , Long wheel base Peugeot Boxer in metalic winter white, being delivered.
Our spare room looks like shop. Nearly everyday I have a delivery , to sign for ( or the very kind neighbours do!) for the conversion.
Roof lights, sockets, switches, rolls of insulation. Then yesterday a couple of victron solar panels and a glass topped kitchen sink !
Don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but....
All I can say is just make sure you pay for your items (internal build )by credit card or pay pal. If not handing cash over face to face. We've only had 2 problems so far , but they could have been expensive ones .
The new cooker / hob we ordered, hasn't arrived. Long story seems the company does it regularly . Not replying to emails and phone calls now. Though were very much on the ball when ordering it !
Fortunately Ralph payed by visa online. So well get the cash back eventually .

Then a black ,right hand side , LED lighting drip strip ( stops water dripping in when you open the slider door ) thing that goes in the slider door opening , we ordered from Ireland . Paypal . Came as a white right hand side! So no use at all. Same thing not replying to emails phone calls.
Fortunately we can get the money back through paypal for that one , by opening a case.
As I write I've just had yet another delivery. Spay adhesive glue ...........

I think I'm going to be a PVC widow soon !

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Not being nosey.. well, yes I am.. but do you have a final cost for the project.. van + parts and materials + labour (if any)

Good luck with the conversion.. hope you post some photos of the progress.

Well, all Ralph says is he can do it exactly how we want. He plans on doing most of the work himself.
He researching nightly over the internet for everything .
He's using the best ( in his opinion ) products, not scrimping on any thing. Buying all new. For less than the ih model that we are loosely basing it on. It's not going to be cheap.
There are always things you like, and things you don't about a Motorhome. We have now realised how lucky we were with our present van , we liked everything apart from the upholstery , and changed that.

Doing a conversion is what Ralph has wanted to do for a while now. Going smaller will suit our preferred camping locations too.

He wants it properly insulated so we can use it all year round, Webasto fitted, best quality fixtures and fittings. Plus as he's a bit of a gadget man , lots of things most PVC 's and motorhomes don't have.
It's not going to be cheap. ( he's keeping receipts and a tally , and it's totting up daily)
I'm sure it could be done at a fraction of the price.
A few people have said , why don't you just buy an old caravan and use the stuff from that, for inside it.
But that's not what we want .
I'm sure he'll do a fantastic job. It will be very tastefully and solidly done, we plan on keeping it indefinitely.
I'm sure he will post pics as he goes along. But it's not going to be a rush job, as we still want to get away in the Motorhome ( Mizzi) . Hopefully it will be ready for it's first outing at the Misterton, funster meet.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks..

I did a home conversion about 20 years ago on a Renault Traffic high roof van and know how expensive parts and materials are.. and how time consuming it is. Did it on my drive and vowed that I would only ever do again if I had a large workshop/ garage to do it under cover.. so that was the first and last..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim just to shed light on the costs thing -It costs more or less the same to convert an old van as a new one --This is using all new stuff nothing secondhand etc -it goes without saying things can be done cheaper but as a average

van cost new- LWB HI ROOF APROX 17K FOR BASE MODEL
THEN ADD 8K /10K FOR EVERYTHING INSIDE IE WINDOWS/ROOF LIGHT/FRIDGE/COOKER/BOILER/HEATING/INSULATION/WALL BOARDS/FURNITURE BOARDS/WATER TANKS/UPHOLSTERY/CONTROL PANEL and numerous bits that you need -

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Terry..

so if you buy a brand new van, say £21k and DIY it would cost at least £30k + + , all depending on goodies fitted.. lets say £35k .. . still a fair saving from an equivalent one built by a convertor.. and you get exactly what you want.. and when it needs fixed, you know where every screw, fuse, cable, pipe, etc. is.

on the downside, when it comes to selling,( and you know what I am going to say.. ) not having a 'brand name' on the bonnet means its,
a) harder to sell , and b) won't get the true value of the van and the time you spent building it.

If selling at a later date isn't in the plan then no problem ..

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks Terry..

so if you buy a brand new van, say £21k and DIY it would cost at least £30k + + , all depending on goodies fitted.. lets say £35k .. . still a fair saving from an equivalent one built by a convertor.. and you get exactly what you want.. and when it needs fixed, you know where every screw, fuse, cable, pipe, etc. is.

on the downside, when it comes to selling,( and you know what I am going to say.. ) not having a 'brand name' on the bonnet means its,
a) harder to sell , and b) won't get the true value of the van and the time you spent building it.

If selling at a later date isn't in the plan then no problem ..

I think that's a bit more like the cost we were expecting to pay. But there's a big difference in prices of fridges, cookers, Solars, everything even fabrics depending on taste and quality.
But you get just what you want. If you plan on keeping it , no problem and we do. We've had lots of extras and upgrades added to the base vehicle and it's had to be ordered hence us not getting it till November.

The postmans just been with a bubble rack package containing nickel coat hooks , I don't need them for the house. So I'm guessing they are for the PVC. It's never ending .......

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you may find your a bit low on those prices . unless you can get a good discount . lwb hightops can be up to 30 grand with vat.
mind i,m sure you will have a good barter going on .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
do you want to stay below the 3.5 ton or go for 6.5 ton or even 7ton with say iveco daily?
i think using basic entry level vans isnt the way to go.
think sprinter or transit would be not what i would want .
mind i wouldnt want fwd either .
does limit it even more .
dont really envy your decision its a hard one .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
do you want to stay below the 3.5 ton or go for 6.5 ton or even 7ton with say iveco daily?
i think using basic entry level vans isnt the way to go.
think sprinter or transit would be not what i would want .
mind i wouldnt want fwd either .
does limit it even more .
dont really envy your decision its a hard one .

> 6mt and > 3.5t.. it has to be small enough to be any every-day van as I won't be keeping the car once we buy ..

as I said Alan, no such thing as the ideal van.. they are all a compromise.. and "one man's meat is another's poison" .. never a truer word than when it comes to choosing a camper.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
iF YOU ARE WANTING TO STICK AROUND 6 MTR MARK THEN PROB ONLY VAN TO CONSIDER IS THE sevel FAMILY IE FIAT PUGS AND CITS-BLOODY CAPS - these are the only van made that are over 6ft wide - which gives you more room/options bed wise ie across the van ---
You can give John a ring on 07828316116 tell him terry gave you number (I will get a drink out of it :D)John worked for IH and kustom campers -Rs and Autocruze all tried to poach him - he has now set up as a manufacturer in his own right -his aim is to be up there and at least on par with IH/TIMBERLAND -he will convert any van you like and put in it anything you like -he simply makes a nice job (y)and that is praise from me (y):)
terry

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I did my own conversion two years ago and the overall cost was around £28,000.
The new Peugeot Boxer was £18,500 which included having a towbar fitted and the front panel sprayed silver to match the van.
The rest of the costs were all the stuff needed including underslung gas tank, Fiaama awning, bike rack ect.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Motorcraft Conversion in Darwen convert Mercedes and VW Crafters ! also do "one offs" too
At the moment the have an ex prison /correctional vehicle on a Dodge (I think) it has a 7.4 litres V8 petrol/gas conversion about 9 metres long.Work on conversion due to start soon !!
Just finished ours and have already started on another customers VW Crafter lwb hi top van.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
How about Roy Wood Transits? Used to be Horizons Unlimited Have heard good things about them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It may have already been mentioned but I believe the Fiat gives the converter more space to work in. The rear wheel drive on the Mercedes impacts on floor height and I am sure it is narrower.

Murvi can't produce all the models in the Merc Van because of these limitations but you would have to look closely at each different vehicle to see what compromises have to be made.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It might be worth a chat to Middlesex Motorcaravans. They convert VW T4s & now T5s for their own stock vans, but I know they have done bespoke conversions on a whole range of customers' vans.

I had one of their T4 Milo conversions & it was excellent. Nothing fancy, but highly practical & everything still worked as delivered when I sold it after 5 years. They did the only T4 layout we could get Jane's big wheelchair in.

I was going to have a bespoke T5 from them, but we decided we needed to go bigger to get the chair in & have the beds made up at the same time. There are so few things that I would do differently to our Campscout that it wasn't worth the time & effort to go bespoke.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back