Pubs that allow over night stops (3 Viewers)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the problem we have with pub stops is the menu tends to be the same in most scampi lasagne steak and ale pie etc

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the problem we have with pub stops is the menu tends to be the same in most scampi lasagne steak and ale pie etc

The problem I have is the cost.. I don't see pub stops as a cheap alternative.. rather an expensive choice..

pub meals are not cheap,... two meals/snacks + a couple of drinks and you'll be lucky to get change from £20 .. have a full meal and you're looking at £15 a head.

for example.. The Anchor in Woodbridge.. charges £5 for a bowl of 'soup of the day' and around £12 for a main course..

personally I prefer using CLs. at about half the cost .

However, if you are planning to eat or have a night out, that's the way to go..

Last edited:
OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hoping to try a few soon. Do we pm you to let you update when they were last verified?

Sorry for the delay Gordon. Yes please if you can it would be most helpful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The problem is a pub carpark is a public place in the eyes of the law and unless you leave your keys with the landlord after having a drink or three you run the risk of being charged with being over the limit in charge of a motor vehicle in a public place. Secondly whilst pubs get away with it they are sailing close to the wind in a legal sense

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The problem is a pub carpark is a public place in the eyes of the law and unless you leave your keys with the landlord after having a drink or three you run the risk of being charged with being over the limit in charge of a motor vehicle in a public place. Secondly whilst pubs get away with it they are sailing close to the wind in a legal sense

Does being a member of Britstops give you the same exemption as being in cc or ccc, or indeed Jim's sites, can you show your membership to the boys in blue:Smile:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I think you would only be in trouble if you had the key in the ignition

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i try to avoid such discussions as having a few too many drinks then sleeping it off in a pub carpark. however, being the victim of a drunk driver, it annoys me to see people publicly advocating it.

it takes 24 hours or more for the average person to get alcohol out of their system. no problem at a rally when you can stay dry on the last night, but pub hopping in a motorhome to allow people to get drunk without worrying about driving home is well beyond stupid, its criminal

btw the guy that smashed into my work van at 2pm in the afternoon claimed he had only had 2 pints at the local british legion. what he didn't mention were the several the night before. he was way beyond the drink drive limit and was stupid enough to be shocked about it. end of the story was he lost his licence i lost the career i loved and thankfully didn't quite lose my life

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Does being a member of Britstops give you the same exemption as being in cc or ccc, or indeed Jim's sites, can you show your membership to the boys in blue:Smile:
Britstops do not as far as I am aware hold an exemption certificate.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
i try to avoid such discussions as having a few too many drinks then sleeping it off in a pub carpark. however, being the victim of a drunk driver, it annoys me to see people publicly advocating it.

it takes 24 hours or more for the average person to get alcohol out of their system. no problem at a rally when you can stay dry on the last night, but pub hopping in a motorhome to allow people to get drunk without worrying about driving home is well beyond stupid, its criminal

btw the guy that smashed into my work van at 2pm in the afternoon claimed he had only had 2 pints at the local british legion. what he didn't mention were the several the night before. he was way beyond the drink drive limit and was stupid enough to be shocked about it. end of the story was he lost his licence i lost the career i loved and thankfully didn't quite lose my life

clearly you have had the absolute worst end of the argument, but it is wrong to suggest / accuse all of being drunk, just because they stop for a meal at a pub, for all you know without even having any alcohol

I do have a drink however, a couple of pints with a meal, usually in bed by 10 latest, out of pub by 9, not moving on till 9 earliest in morning, while it is a fact there will still be some residual alcohol in my system it has been deemed by the law to be too little to have any effect on my driving. I suspect I would actually blow zero if tested

btw, I was also the victim of a DD who knocked me over as a pedestrian and I too was lucky to live, you have my sympathy but I have not made it a crusade to stop people having a sensible level of drink, then driving

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
don't get me wrong, its no crusade as i too enjoy the odd couple of pints. its just when people brag on here and facebook about enjoying getting pissed then "sleeping it off in the pub carpark".

i wont say any more about it in this thread as some people get a bit touchy about their alcohol consumption and careless disregard for other road users. wouldn't want to spoil your fun by stating a few facts that you cant handle or wish weren't true:Sad:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have regularly mentioned The Waggon Inn near Ponteland (Newcastle) went to stop there the other week they are boarded up

needs removing :crying:

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
I have regularly mentioned The Waggon Inn near Ponteland (Newcastle) went to stop there the other week they are boarded up

needs removing :crying:

Thanks for that David I have added that info, I haven't removed it as yet as sometimes they start up again.If you see it opens again (as some do) let us Know.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
A Google map that pin points pubs that are known to allow over night stops..
I have accumulated these from various internet sites & have checked them on Google street view where possible. Some I have used personally.
I invite anyone who knows of others to contact me with details as this is an ongoing project that I will add to

Pubs that allow over night stops
Hi Keith,
We stayed overnight in the car park at The Pilot Inn in Dungeness - right on the beach and only 40 mins from the chunnel. It actually says on their website that motorhomes can stay overnight. Here is the link.
http://thepilotdungeness.co.uk/
And here is a photo.
Dungeness 070415 (4).JPG

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
This issue re having a drink and possibly driving off keeps cropping up.
The law... As the last house of Lords ruling stated.. There has to be a likelihood of driving... If there isn't.. because you're at a Britstop location overnight and sleeping in your van.. then you really have nothing to be concerned about.
I don't know of any recent example where someone staying in a motorhome was dealt either for drink drive or unfit.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I have accumulated these from various internet sites & have checked them on Google street view where possible. Some I have used personally.
I invite anyone who knows of others to contact me with details as this is an ongoing project that I will add to

:thanks3:

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Keith,
We stayed overnight in the car park at The Pilot Inn in Dungeness - right on the beach and only 40 mins from the chunnel. It actually says on their website that motorhomes can stay overnight. Here is the link.
http://thepilotdungeness.co.uk/
And here is a photo.
View attachment 60366

Yes thanks, I have that one on the map, i used to live near Dungness. Didn't know they said that on their website.

Another in that area is the Woolpack at Brookland, where we lived, fabulous food in a 13 century pub.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
RAF pilots work on the rule 12 hrs bottle to throttle.
When did a private pub car park become public?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
We often contact quality resturants, even michelin starred and ask to use carpark, 95% say fantastic good idea.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Good work keith.i`m a keen fisherman so this info is right up my street.Thanks chris.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Anywhere the public have access to is classed as public even when it is private.
Except when the Police approach the owners, about a drunk driver (known to the owners) residing on their premises who was involved in an accident with a fellow camper. Despite being breathalysed and awaiting a charge (when sobered up), suddenly, the site has no public access, and the Police don't/won't/can't prosecute, despite CCTV footage to show that the drunk driver was on a public road, seconds before he caused the accident. :eek:

The Police have the same problem at Centre Parcs for example, where it is reported that some people are drink driving on site, but can't be taken to task, despite having caused damage. However, if someone is seriously injured or killed, it's a different story.
Gordon Bl##dy Bennett. (n)

Regards,

Jock.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Is it just me that can't open this link?

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Is it just me that can't open this link?

I believe you are looking at a very old thread, previous post 26 April, don't know how that happened.
Try the new one Pubs or see the new thread.
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back