sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
What items do we need to take with us on our first trip to france please ? apart from ourselves and the motorhome.......:Sad:
Do we need 2 x high vis,,,etc....

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Not been in MH but been many times with the car and unless its changed you need
High vis vest for each passenger
Warning triangle
Set of spare bulbs
Need deflectors for your lights
Was word that you need a disposable breathalyser kit ??
Also believe that yo do not get calor gas in France
Sure someone will be along shortly who can give you more info but hope this helps

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
All the Aires France from Vicarious Books. TomTom for Western Europe (or Garmin)
Patience; not all French people speak English.
Finally and most important, an open, receptive mind. French people are just the same as us. Perhaps a little more polite in villages.
Anything you might want to buy, is available so do not take every drink and food for the trip. It may be cheaper there and the space / weight you save can be used for other things.

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Have a look at the AA website (as in Automobile Assoc). They have a checklist on there as to what is mandatory in France and the rest of Europe and what is not. The breath kits are a strange anomaly; since July 2012 you need to carry a kit, but it says the French won't enforce it!

The fluorescent jackets are mandatory. A tip is to keep them so that they can be seen by the police. Anyway, it makes good safety sense to keep them handy in case you do need them. I keep mine over the back of the front seats.

As previously posted, don't forget to take your insurance, MOT (If you need one), driving licence, your V5 document (log book) etc. You need the originals, but photocopy them to keep handy and hide the originals in the MH somewhere! Put them in the safe if you have one.

Don't forget your passports and ferry/tunnel tickets!!! Easy to do when concentrating on the foreign bits!

As an aside, don't let your concentration lapse when driving on the campsites or leaving them. It's easy to revert to driving on the left!!!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Have a look at the AA website (as in Automobile Assoc). They have a checklist on there as to what is mandatory in France and the rest of Europe. The breath kits are a strange anomaly; since July 2012 you need to carry a kit, but it says the French won't enforce it!

The fluorescent jackets are mandatory. A tip is to keep them so that they can be seen by the police. Anyway, it makes good safety sense to keep them handy in case you do need them. I keep mine over the back of the front seats.

As previously posted, don't forget to take your insurance, MOT (If you need one), driving licence, your V5 document (log book) etc. You need the originals, but photocopy them to keep handy and hide the originals in the MH somewhere! Put them in the safe if you have one.

Don't forget your passports and ferry/tunnel tickets!!! Easy to do when concentrating on the foreign bits!

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Breathalyser kits are not required in France now, they did away with that law, beginning of last year I believe.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
There is still the silly situation in France that the law says you must carry an authorised (carrying the NF code) and valid (that must not be more than a year old) breathalyser kit - but there is no penalty if you do not! The AA site says:

"So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months."

Life in France is wonderful!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not been in MH but been many times with the car and unless its changed you need
High vis vest for each passenger
Warning triangle
Set of spare bulbs
Need deflectors for your lights
Was word that you need a disposable breathalyser kit ??
Also believe that yo do not get calor gas in France
Sure someone will be along shortly who can give you more info but hope this helps

So what is the deal with purchasing gas in France (And Spain)? I am currently using the Butane tanks, but I have a regulator for Propane. Can I not use these in France? What do I need to purchase?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
So what is the deal with purchasing gas in France (And Spain)? I am currently using the Butane tanks, but I have a regulator for Propane. Can I not use these in France? What do I need to purchase?
I understand the English butane regulator will also fit the French "Le Cube" , however as you intend doing Spain and Portugal as well You would either need to buy local bottles and regulators or get a refillable propane or Gaslow and adapters, pop in next time your passing and I'll show you some.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To add to the official list..
Not ONE triangle needed now but two
A first aid kit
We chucked our two breathalizers away to be honest !

Available from many places ( inc fleabay I believe ) are adaptors which allow you to use your standard gas pigtail to French and other bottles, but unless you are going for an awful long time and never have hook up I would not worry.
It is MUCH warmer even just a few miles down and all you will proly need gas for is a wee bit of cooking..

I used to carry 2 x 6k bottles when we did our 8 week summer jaunt.. Soon found out the 2nd bottle was just not needed ! ( but me being me I still carried it just in case :winky: )

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
But don't forget

:roflmto: If you are going to be off hook up for any length of time, the Fridge will use a lot of gas, (especially if it's large) and that's
Essential for the Wine/Beer :Doh:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Also don't forget your EHIC medical card
The EHIC, or European Health Insurance Card, is free and gets free or discounted medical care in all 28 EU countries, plus others

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The comment on purchasing gas I think referred to filling up refillable gas bottles (Gaslow, Gasit etc). It seems that some supermarkets are not letting motorhomes refill, because they think it is being done illegally, i.e. using ordinary rental bottles. A few weeks ago I went into a supermarket filling station in the middle of France and there was a hand written notice on the gas pump about not filling "camping cars". I ignored it and pretended I did not understand and after about 4 or 5 presses on the button the attendant switched on the pump and allowed me to fill up. No mention when it came to paying.

I will assume you are referring to Calor type gas bottles when you refer to butane tanks. In that case you may have some problems getting the same, but fear not just about every supermarket sells several different types of gas and it is a lot cheaper than the UK where Calor have a near monopoly. Just take one UK bottle as an emergency and buy one when you get to France. Somebody reported on this forum that at Intermarche they only charge one Euro deposit for their own bottles. But you will then have to do the same again if you go to Spain (different bottles)

The alternative, which I did, is to fit a single refillable bottle and use that. I got an 11kg Gasit bottle with filling points and adaptors for most places in Europe for about £190, and fitted it in a couple of hours.

A final point the comment about needing 2 warning triangles only applies to Spain AFAIK. I think in France you only need one.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
:roflmto: If you are going to be off hook up for any length of time, the Fridge will use a lot of gas, (especially if it's large) and that's
Essential for the Wine/Beer :Doh:

Really ! ??
By accident I left our fridge on for the two month lay off ( from mid November to mid January ) and it barely used a 1/8 of the tank !

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Have a look at the AA website (as in Automobile Assoc). They have a checklist on there as to what is mandatory in France and the rest of Europe. The breath kits are a strange anomaly; since July 2012 you need to carry a kit, but it says the French won't enforce it!

The fluorescent jackets are mandatory. A tip is to keep them so that they can be seen by the police.[HI] Anyway, it makes good safety sense to keep them handy in case you do need them. I keep mine over the back of the front seats.[/HI]

Hi vis and reflective jackets will fade and become less effective in sunlight. If you want them to work, rather than just being seen, you should keep them in a darkish place.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All the Aires France from Vicarious Books. TomTom for Western Europe (or Garmin)
Patience;[HI] not all French people speak English.[/HI]
Finally and most important, an open, receptive mind. French people are just the same as us. Perhaps a little more polite in villages.
Anything you might want to buy, is available so do not take every drink and food for the trip. It may be cheaper there and the space / weight you save can be used for other things.

Alan

yes they do.....they just wont :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have a look at the AA website (as in Automobile Assoc). They have a checklist on there as to what is mandatory in France and the rest of Europe and what is not. The breath kits are a strange anomaly; since July 2012[HI] you need to carry a kit, but it says the French won't enforce it![/HI]

As an aside, don't let your concentration lapse when driving on the campsites or leaving them. It's easy to revert to driving on the left!!!

and the on the spot fine, if they do proceed, was 6 euros.....cheaper than the breathalyser. :Doh:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

The fluorescent jackets are mandatory. A tip is to keep them so that they can be seen by the police. Anyway,[HI] it makes good safety sense to keep them handy in case you do need them[/HI]. I keep mine over the back of the front seats.

absolutely correct........no good in an outside locker as you CANNOT, BY LAW, leave the vehicle without wearing a reflective jacket\vest.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would guess it did not have a lot of work to do at that time of year.

Ummm.. oddly, the way heat exchangers work, they seem to use more gas in the cold !!
Heat exchangers have always been a dark art to me and would love someone to sit down and explain the thermal dynamics involved

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back