Delay in collecting new motorhome (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We were hoping to collect our new-to-us motorhome on Monday, but Monday is a Bank Holiday and The Post Office will be shut so we can't tax it. We got the insurance on Friday but the database hasn't been updated yet so couldn't tax it today :cry:. It will now be Friday when we pick it up :thumb:

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
As I know better than many..... It's a hassle..

BUT, this is the best thing we have ever done, a few days in Seahouses, it rained , but so what. Now a couple of nights with the granddaughter at Flamingo Land.

We had stress and hassle, have we forgotten it.....well.....nearly.

So, what's a few more days, WHO would have thought I would say that !!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I would take it out..
Its insured.. Being on the 'database' isn't a legal requirement.. Can't see any action being taken re one day without tax... Go and enjoy it

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What a bummer, but Tuesday will be here soon enough, like a kid at Christmas, go to bed early, it will get here quicker:roflmto:

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
New Motorhome

We picked our up last Wednesday.

Like you we were incredibly excited. We arrived at 8.30 - it was not until 2.30 in the afternoon that we actually got to drive the thing the handover was very stressful and not terribly good. We were kept hanging around for hours.

Once we did get to drive it, we found that our £800 special stereo was useless - could not get even 1 radio station and they had not wired it to the leisure batteries as asked and discussed many times only a week earlier.

Eventually it was Friday afternoon that they has partially fixed the radio problem.

Moral of the story

Don't be too excited there can be teething problems.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Fingers crossed it all goes well. Just had a test drive in our new bus today just to be sure. Pick it up on 23rd:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would take it out..
Its insured.. Being on the 'database' isn't a legal requirement.. Can't see any action being taken re one day without tax... Go and enjoy it
NO! :whatthe: It is NOT road legal, no point in risking being done ... if there was an accident what would the insurer's say? Not worth finding out is it for the sake of a day!!! :Eeek:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Bit late but you do not have to have insurance to tax a vehicle anymore - rules changed

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Bit late but you do not have to have insurance to tax a vehicle anymore - rules changed

Well we couldn't tax it at The Post Office so it looks like they don't know the rules have changed. We pick it up next Friday. It doesn't make a lot of difference as it would have stood on the drive this week anyway, although we were thinking about charging for the guided tour!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Well we couldn't tax it at The Post Office so it looks like they don't know the rules have changed. We pick it up next Friday. It doesn't make a lot of difference as it would have stood on the drive this week anyway, although we were thinking about charging for the guided tour!

Taxed a car 2 weeks ago at local village Post office - with just the new keepers part of V5 - insurance not required

And there are post offices open on Sundays - look on line for branches:thumb:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
NO! :whatthe: It is NOT road legal, no point in risking being done ... if there was an accident what would the insurer's say? Not worth finding out is it for the sake of a day!!! :Eeek:

My view stands.. Dvla will not prosecute for one day.. And the police rarely if ever prosecute for not displaying
But minx has given the correct letter of the law information.
Post office is the best bet as stated above

Oct 8, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Ravenna
Exp
newguy
tax your van

You can do a dvla online tax as soon as you have a v5. It can be done online 365 days a year.

Steve.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would try the online tax again. My husband insured his motorbike yesterday and then taxed it about 20 minutes later no problem. It confirmed the mot but not the insurance but it went straight through. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thanks for the tip about Sunday opening! There isn't a local office that opens on Sunday here but there is one not far from the dealer :)

I will email him and then follow up with a phone call.

What a great site this is - brilliant supportive members who will always go the extra mile ::bigsmile:

The only problem might be that the insurance is not on the database...... that was the problem this morning.

We can't do the on-line tax because the V5 is still in the last owners name and hasn't been changed to us yet.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We were hoping to collect our new-to-us motorhome on Monday, but Monday is a Bank Holiday and The Post Office will be shut so we can't tax it. We got the insurance on Friday but the database hasn't been updated yet so couldn't tax it today :cry:. It will now be Friday when we pick it up :thumb:

Chase your insurance company. Updating the database needs to be immediate once vehicles can't be sold already taxed.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
new motorhome

Picked up our new bailey 740 yesterday,handover very good all things that we wanted fitted had been done except the tv arial !! and had to stopover on Friday night !! but the pub grub just a few hundred yards away was excellent, (Oak inn in Middleton st George)
Drove home with no road tax as they had not received it from the DVLA !! advise me that there was a huge delay in receiving vehicle docs and road tax discs ! approximately 6 weeks !!
I wanted to put on my private number and was advised against it by the DVLA office in Swansea as they had a huge back log !!
So much for closing down all the local DVLA office's and centralising everything there !!
progress for you.
We are of next weekend with the van whether or not I have a tax disc !!:winky:

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Insurance details still not on the database. There is a note on the website that says they are 72 hours behind with updates :Sad: (MID not insurer)

I'm also not sure just how accurate it is as it shows our other car as not being insured and it definitely is .... I did on-line renewal of tax two weeks ago - the insurance isn't due until September.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just doing the same thing..
I will tax it on line 48 hours before I collect it.. ( The new MOT will be in place then and I set up the insurance to start 5 days before the hand over date to ensure the info gets on the PNC. )

Although technically it is still an offence (*1) to drive a vehicle on the road (*2) without displaying a VEL, with the imminent game changer of NO disks being issued ( from October ) and the fact all officers now tend to rely on the DVLA data base, I am really not concerned.. Unless you have done something really silly and an officer is extremely pee'd off with you and is desperate to get you on something it really is of no concern any more.
I have been stop checked many times on my bikes.. None of which has a VEL displayed due to them going missing when parked in car parks , I have yet to have any issues.. Been asked a few times where it is of course and once the PNC comes up clean sent on my way :thumb:

*1 ( failure to display, usually a £20.00 fine, which kind of demonstrates how out of date it is ! )

*2 ( indeed, even park a vehicle within 30 ft of somewhere that has public access ! )

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The insurance is now showing on the database so the 72 hour delay was accurate. The dealer is going to get the tax today and we collect it tomorrow.....

It might be an idea to stay off the roads between Livingston, Edinburgh and the A68 down into Kelso tomorrow ::bigsmile:

OH has just worked out that it is 22.5 hours.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back