Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We couldn't work out why the sound was so poor from the radio in the cab until I thought I'd change the door speakers. When I took the cover off there weren't any! But there obviously had been at some time as all the connectors were in place. Off we went to halfords and bought a pair of speakers and fitted them, only to discover that the wiring isn't connected to the radio - we think it has been connected to the speakers in the hab area. I know nothing about these things - is it an easy job to reconnect the wiring to the door speakers? Halfords don't seem to have the necessary know how even though they advertise a fitting service.

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
Hi Mags, my cab sound isn't particularly good either. It's on my upgrade list. I don't think I have door speakers either. The speakers appear to be located within the lower dashboard, where your knee is. Iirc there are slats to let the sound out. Gawd knows how you get to them.

Regards,
Lee.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We couldn't work out why the sound was so poor from the radio in the cab until I thought I'd change the door speakers. When I took the cover off there weren't any! But there obviously had been at some time as all the connectors were in place. Off we went to halfords and bought a pair of speakers and fitted them, only to discover that the wiring isn't connected to the radio - we think it has been connected to the speakers in the hab area. I know nothing about these things - is it an easy job to reconnect the wiring to the door speakers? Halfords don't seem to have the necessary know how even though they advertise a fitting service.

If you have wires in the doors there is every chance they are in the loom or loose behind the radio just not connected as there were no door speakers:thumb:
If you have to run new cables use the rubber boot in the door frame to run the wires and make sure you keep and cables inside the door away from moving parts of the window etc
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The radio will have the option of connecting 4 speakers: two will be the existing fronts under the dash and two will be your rear speakers. A label on the radio (and/or the radio handbook) will have a drawing to show how they are connected. Your best option might be to obtain decent speakers that will fit in the doors then, behind the radio, swap the wires over so the under-dash ones are disconnected and the door speakers are connected in their place. You will certainly improve things by having a good pair of speakers aimed inwards rather than two under the dash aimed at the floor.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The radio will have the option of connecting 4 speakers: two will be the existing fronts under the dash and two will be your rear speakers. A label on the radio (and/or the radio handbook) will have a drawing to show how they are connected. Your best option might be to obtain decent speakers that will fit in the doors then, behind the radio, swap the wires over so the under-dash ones are disconnected and the door speakers are connected in their place. You will certainly improve things by having a good pair of speakers aimed inwards rather than two under the dash aimed at the floor.

or connect all four.
Just because it says rear speakers doesnt mean they cant be in the front.....the radio doesnt know where they are.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
or connect all four.
Just because it says rear speakers doesnt mean they cant be in the front.....the radio doesnt know where they are.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the rear speakers would be in use for the habitation area. I they aren't then, as you say, use the rear speaker output for the door speakers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back