Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Has anyone on here had a problem with the ERG valve. Our son in law has just had a big problem with his and had to be taken to a local garage. Lucky the garage was owned by a friend, when they investigated it turned out to be the ERG valve. They decided between them to blank off the valve and now find out that the vehicle runs better and has been said that the MPG will improve. Any comments.

Keith

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Has anyone on here had a problem with the ERG valve. Our son in law has just had a big problem with his and had to be taken to a local garage. Lucky the garage was owned by a friend, when they investigated it turned out to be the ERG valve. They decided between them to blank off the valve and now find out that the vehicle runs better and has been said that the MPG will improve. Any comments.

Keith

It needs to be repaired or replaced. It will fail an MOT on exhaust emissions.

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
Depends on the make and model, some engines will return better MPG with the valve blocked off and still pass emissions test IF it has an ECU that can adapt. Even if it has an ECU that can adapt then it will need some decent miles done to let the ECU learn. If its new enough then it should be fine, costs nothing to find out with the free emissions tests that are available in supermarket car parks these days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
hi last wk had trouble with erg on my renault car took it off and clean it up all works ok have a look on y tube

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I run a Movano for work and it has had two replacements fitted. Not sure why they fail and cause a problem. It shows up by way of the engine management light illuminating and putting itself in limp mode. Could not believe it when the diagnostics showed it a second time.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had a problem with one on a 2007 Ducato 2.3 - when first starting sometimes it would appear to be in limp mode with no light on and sometimes the light came on but the engine ran fine. We had it replaced by the dealer (even though it wasnt covered under the warranty )

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I think what you fella's are referring to is an EGR valve, Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve, it becomes clogged up with soot when the vehicle is used for a lot of short journeys or when the engine is not put under load and revved enough, I had a Nissan Xtrail DCI that used to regularly clog up, I cleaned it out occasionally to cure low speed snatch insets when running lightly, was always OK afterwards for a while.
Being an ex mechanic and MOT tester, one piece of advice I would pass on is to go into Wilco's if you have one near you and buy a bottle of Diesel Magic, it's in a red plastic bottle with a long neck, when your fuel tank is low, quarter tank or less, add the DM to the tank and take it for a good hard run, it will clean out the system and we almost always managed to get reluctant vans through the test afterwards, do not buy any other brand of additive and expect the same results, I do not have any experience with all of them, but I know Diesel Magic works, especially on older Diesel engines.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
On the recommendation of a mechanic at work, we blanked the EGR valve off on my 06 Volvo V50 when we bought it second hand with 30k on the clock. Speedo shows 137 k now and it‘s passed all it‘s Mot‘s. Didn‘t know about the “ learning” ECU thing, but in my mind, it ruled out one more thing to break down.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A mechanic friend said to us , because you drive gently trying to get the most mpg it does not get hot enough to burn the recycled crap off. The best thing he said was once the van is warmed up when leaving the roundabout floor it. We did this and it's amazing how much crap comes out of the exhaust. :thumb:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My EGR stopped working in Morocco and we lost a lot of power ,:Sad:

The engine eventually died on us going up a steep hill " 2500 m ASL" , very serious as we had to reverse down hill , until we got to a flat bit of road to turn round , this was on a very sharp blind bend :Eeek:,

We tried the " cut a blank from a coke can trick " :ROFLMAO: but it did not work .:Doh:

EGR cost £395 fitted ... :Cool: No more problems engine runs better then ever ,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Depends on the make and model, some engines will return better MPG with the valve blocked off and still pass emissions test IF it has an ECU that can adapt. Even if it has an ECU that can adapt then it will need some decent miles done to let the ECU learn. If its new enough then it should be fine, costs nothing to find out with the [HI]free emissions tests that are available in supermarket car parks these days[/HI].

Hmmmph.....we only have east european carwashers in ours. :Angry:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Go get some Wynn's EGR spray. Also cleans air flow sensors too :thumb:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My EGR stopped working in Morocco and we lost a lot of power ,:Sad:

The engine eventually died on us going up a steep hill " 2500 m ASL" , very serious as we had to reverse down hill , until we got to a flat bit of road to turn round , this was on a very sharp blind bend :Eeek:,

We tried the " cut a blank from a coke can trick " :ROFLMAO: but it did not work .:Doh:

EGR cost £395 fitted ... :Cool: No more problems engine runs better then ever ,

We tried the Floor it trick , no black crap at all , :Blush:

i was also running Diesel additive all the time in Morocco as well as keeping to the Shell fuel stations ,:thumb:

Engine is 2009 Ford Transit @ 22 K miles .:Smile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think what you fella's are referring to is an EGR valve, Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve, it becomes clogged up with soot when the vehicle is used for a lot of short journeys or when the engine is not put under load and revved enough, I had a Nissan Xtrail DCI that used to regularly clog up, I cleaned it out occasionally to cure low speed snatch insets when running lightly, was always OK afterwards for a while.
Being an ex mechanic and MOT tester, one piece of advice I would pass on is to go into Wilco's if you have one near you and buy a bottle of Diesel Magic, it's in a red plastic bottle with a long neck, when your fuel tank is low, quarter tank or less, add the DM to the tank and take it for a good hard run, it will clean out the system and we almost always managed to get reluctant vans through the test afterwards, do not buy any other brand of additive and expect the same results, I do not have any experience with all of them, but I know Diesel Magic works, especially on older Diesel engines.

I throw one in every third fill up
Broken Link Removed

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
A mechanic friend said to us , because you drive gently trying to get the most mpg it does not get hot enough to burn the recycled crap off. The best thing he said was once the van is warmed up when leaving the roundabout floor it. We did this and it's amazing how much crap comes out of the exhaust. :thumb:
You should see the crap that comes out of mine when I floor it :roflmto:

And am I really clearing it out and improving things ? I do tend to drive steady for MPG.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The new egr valve was about £138 , so if you spread that over the lower mpg it helps even it out. As said ,you can blank it off all together. We still put in millers additive every 2 or 3 tank fills of diesel to help it out.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
As has been said in previous posts, the main problem is that most owners drive their vans too gently. Occaisionally you need to drive it like you stole it, to avoid the build up of carbon deposits.
We had a big problem with ours at the end of last year and was advised by a Citroen main dealer to replace the erg valve, 400€ plus labour.
We ended up getting a product via ebay, called 'Forte' it worked a treat.

Also, we have found that many things can cause the engine management light to come on and put the van into limp mode.
We had a problem with plug for our gps was shorting and blowing a fuse, this also put the van into limp mode.
I ended up buy a bit of kit that can erase the code and put the van back to normal running.
On our recent 8 week trip through France, Spain and Morocco we used it a couple of times to help other owners sort their vans out. It has been the best 18€ I've spent in a long time

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
The EGR valve another stupid invention just like the DMF designed by a schoolboy twat & then put into production.

What is it designed to do.... improve emissions
How.... by recirculating gasses when driving

the problem is that your Turbo runs at a ridiculously hot temperature & to increase mpg & power between the Turbo & engine the gasses need to be cooled before they enter the inlet. Infact your turbo will perform at its best when cold so the last thing it needs is for a load of already hot gasses to be dumped in the Turbo inlet which is already roasting thus reducing the life expectancy of its internals

The best thing you can do is remove it period ::bigsmile:

The DMF is for another Discussion :winky:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
We tried the Floor it trick , no black crap at all , :Blush:

i was also running Diesel additive all the time in Morocco as well as keeping to the Shell fuel stations ,:thumb:

Engine is 2009 Ford Transit @ 22 K miles .:Smile:

Hiya Graham
I did not use any additives in Morocco and I used diesel from any company alongside busy roads. 20 years old Fiat 2.5 with 165000 km on clock. Bloody slow as you know but still chugging along. Oh yes no Erg to worry about. :thumb:

It always throws out black stuff without any sort of help :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back