Awning woes (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Why if something is going to go wrong, does it wait until you are at the other side of the water !

The fiamma awning winding mechanism has failed. Took it to a fiat dealer who said they could fix it. They ordered the part and we went there yesterday to find he can't do it after all. Apparently it needs someone who does bodywork to fix it as they can't get into it. So here we are on the mosel with a spare part and no awning. :Doh:

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Problem is, on the Bessacarr the awning is built into the side of the van and they can't access the parts without taking the whole thing out. Stupid system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I'm sure a motorhome dealer will sort you out, awnings have very little holding them on, :winky: in fact I saw someone at Stratford Show one year and his awning was falling off :Doh: that was built into the motorhome and the base plate behind the awning was held on the side by a few self tapping screws. :whatthe: Bob.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Look inside the top cupboards, you may see a little white covers with bolts underneath.
Usually x3 lots in different cupboards.
It will need 2 or 3 people to help to hold/unbolt it and refix it :Eeek:

Maybe a chance for intercontinental relations to grow on site-- buy them some wine and ask for a lift :thumb:

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Have a look inside the overhead lockers, behind the awning, there should be 3 or 4 depending on length, plastic trims that should be easily removed that expose the securing bolts/plates. One each end and one or two evenly spaced between these. As far as I know, removing the nuts and plates will release the awning from the housing, just ensure it's supported whilst removing the fixings, this should then facilitate access to the mechanism.
There may be some funsters that could offer more details for your particular Motorhome, but it's worth a look to see if it's the same fitting system. I'll check mine again when back home to see if there's anything I could add to the above.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Look inside the top cupboards, you may see a little white covers with bolts underneath.
Usually x3 lots in different cupboards.
It will need 2 or 3 people to help to hold/unbolt it and refix it :Eeek:

Maybe a chance for intercontinental relations to grow on site-- buy them some wine and ask for a lift :thumb:

Sorry joner8888, I wasn't copying, just taking too long typing on phone between bank and supermarket..... Whilst parked up of course waiting for htmbo. I fully agree with you though, sound advice.:thumb::thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Have a look inside the overhead lockers, behind the awning, there should be 3 or 4 depending on length, plastic trims that should be easily removed that expose the securing bolts/plates. One each end and one or two evenly spaced between these. As far as I know, removing the nuts and plates will release the awning from the housing, just ensure it's supported whilst removing the fixings, this should then facilitate access to the mechanism.
There may be some funsters that could offer more details for your particular Motorhome, but it's worth a look to see if it's the same fitting system. I'll check mine again when back home to see if there's anything I could add to the above.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Thanks for that advise all. Will see if we can find a dealer who can fix it.

Lin

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

As most people have already said, the nuts and plates behind the white caps need to be removed. On your motorhome there will be at least 5 of them. Thats provided Swift haven't hidden any of them behind a false wall. The awning will need some brute force to remove as swift bond the brackets on. We usually have at least 4 fitters working together to remove it. A bar and sharp blade are a must.

Good Luck:thumb:

Any further help please feel free to call

Ian, Workshops
01580 881288
www.johnscross.co.uk

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread