Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Evening all,
Got back from Dave Newell, this afternoon, after Dave fitted a Solar Panel to our M/H. I just want to say thank you Dave for a first class job, a very prompt, efficient, and professional Service. Just have to do a Prayer to the Sun God now, and pray for some Sunshine. Hoping to go to France in May, and hopefully see the benefit of my new investment. Regards, BillyS

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Dave fitted 2 Alugas 11kg bottles to our motorhome yesterday, exellent job.
He then told us where to get them filled up at Budget gas just a few minutes down the road, cost just under £26 domestic rate. ::bigsmile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have been in contact with Dave Newell about getting a solar panel, what size did you get and how has it been performing. I don't know whether to go for a 100 or 140w panel.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I have been in contact with Dave Newell about getting a solar panel, what size did you get and how has it been performing. I don't know whether to go for a 100 or 140w panel.

Rgds
Bill

They always say go as big as you can afford. Its always better to have to much than too little.
When you think how little sun we get these days you need the big one

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
That's more or less what I thought. I currently have a 40w folding panel that is only adequate, I want something that will keep both batteries charged all the time. Looks like the larger panel then.

Many thanks
Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's more or less what I thought. I currently have a 40w folding panel that is only adequate, I want something that will keep both batteries charged all the time. Looks like the larger panel then.

Many thanks
Bill

Can't argue with your conclusion. But what you have is better than you think, if you angle it to the sun and track the sun you are getting something like the equivalent of 80W just flat on your roof. Maybe more depending on time of year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Many thanks
Bill

Hi Bill ,

On our previous van we had 100 w panel this was only just enough.:Sad:

This time i have gone for 250 W :Smile: , and i think it is about right , even in the uk it is keeping up with the usage , and was giving up to 9 amps charge even in April ,::bigsmile:
In Morocco we saw 12 amps !!! .:Eeek:
plenty of power to use the inverter for the remosker / Rice Cooker etc .:Cool:

It also keeps both leisure batteries and the engine battery charged so no need to hook up at home now ,:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Problem with the folding panel, good as it is, we are not at the van all day and get back to find the panel has lost the sun. Also, where our van is parked up at home the area around the van doesn't get much sun but the roof does.

Couple of weeks ago we spent 4 nights pitched up with no EHU and it was just okay running heating a bit and the TV for a couple of hours. With a decent sized roof panel, 100/140w I would be a bit more comfortable and not need a second battery.

Thanks for everyone's comments though.

Heading up to Scone tomorrow for a long weekend.

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back