Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
An Aire is generally speaking a parking place. I believe it is a French word and you will see them on their motorways and main roads to indicate what we call Services. These are NOT the same Aires as those often talked about in Motorhoming circles. In France these are called Aires de Camping Cars and are indicated by the symbol of a motorhome. They are parking places mainly in towns and villages which have been set up by the local community specifically for us (not caravans). They will nearly all have access to water, waste disposal and many now also have electric hook-ups. They are generally free but some charge to park, some require payment for the services and some charge for electric. There is a vast network of these facilities throughout Europe, in fact everywhere except the UK, where apparently we are not wanted in the towns and villages. The benefit to local businesses is that we buy our daily bread at the boulangerie, shop in the local supermarket, use the cafes and restaurants etc. In Germany they are called Stellplatzen (stopping places)
Wake up Britain.
I am currently in Portugal and have used many Aires recently in Spain and here. Some charge a small fee ie Lagos. sports stadium 3 euro a night with free wi-fi.
If you intend travelling to Europe then I suggest you invest All the Aires (France;Spain and Portugal etc) Alternatively there is Camperstop Europe covering several countries.

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Certainly not a stupid question. Never be afraid to ask.

The good thing with Fun is if you don't know you can ask.

Some answers may be taken with a pinch of salt but there's never any malice intended :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
An Aire is generally speaking a parking place. I believe it is a French word and you will see them on their motorways and main roads to indicate what we call Services. These are NOT the same Aires as those often talked about in Motorhoming circles. In France these are called Aires de Camping Cars and are indicated by the symbol of a motorhome. They are parking places mainly in towns and villages which have been set up by the local community specifically for us (not caravans). They will nearly all have access to water, waste disposal and many now also have electric hook-ups. They are generally free but some charge to park, some require payment for the services and some charge for electric. There is a vast network of these facilities throughout Europe, in fact everywhere except the UK, where apparently we are not wanted in the towns and villages. The benefit to local businesses is that we buy our daily bread at the boulangerie, shop in the local supermarket, use the cafes and restaurants etc. In Germany they are called Stellplatzen (stopping places)
Wake up Britain.
I am currently in Portugal and have used many Aires recently in Spain and here. Some charge a small fee ie Lagos. sports stadium 3 euro a night with free wi-fi.
If you intend travelling to Europe then I suggest you invest All the Aires (France;Spain and Portugal etc) Alternatively there is Camperstop Europe covering several countries.

Thanks for the explanation, appreciate it :thumb:

Certainly not a stupid question. Never be afraid to ask.

The good thing with Fun is if you don't know you can ask.

Some answers may be taken with a pinch of salt but there's never any malice intended :thumb:

:Smile:

Why does one of my "Ears"…. stick out further than the other... :RollEyes::Sad:::bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lisa

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
I think the word means 'area'. There is a good reference site (in French) called CampingCar infos.
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Well worth a look...

I love them, some are better than others, my rule of thumb "if a French Van is parked up, join them"

Thanks for the link, just had a look then realised that I can't read/speak French apart from Oui, Non, Merci and Merde! :roflmto: Pretty looking page though :winky:

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the link, just had a look then realised that I can't read/speak French apart from Oui, Non, Merci and Merde! :roflmto: Pretty looking page though :winky:

entrez.gif
= Enter here.

Click this to search for an aire http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php

Scroll down to the country of choice.
Broken Link Removed.

Pick your region from the map.
Click on the aire of your choice..

Its easier than you think...

enjoy...

example...

ASN = Aire de services avec stationnement nuit possible de :

MARCK

(N° 23326)

Accès/adresse :
Allée de la Découverte
62730 MARCK

Latitude : (Nord) 50.95625° Décimaux ou 50° 57′ 22′′
Longitude : (Est) 1.92837° Décimaux ou 1° 55′ 42′′

Tarif : 2014
Forfait : 8 €

Services :
[Eau potable] [Vidange eaux usées] [Vidange cassette WC] [branchement electrique]
Poubelles

Autres informations :
Aire sécurisée, surveillée
5 emplacements délimités
Électricité sur chaque emplacement
Stationnement limité 2 nuits
Tél mairie +33(0)321 462 200
http://www.ville-marck.fr
mairie@ville-marck.fr

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
All the camping Aires we have seen in France have been very unappealing :Sad:

More like a glorified car park with barely a few feet between campers. Not at all what we wanted. We always chose to go pay for a proper site with some privacy space.

But maybe we have been unlucky ?

But, we have stayed at some very, very nice motorway Aires :Smile:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL Yorick - no I think you have been lucky with your campsites - I've seen pictures of sites showing vans caravans and tents with a few feet in between, on barren sandy earth without a single blade of grass, tree etc in sight and thought Oh Joy! Not.

At least on an aire, you kind of 'get what you pay for' and that's honest !

They are much more 'don't need to think or worry' to stay on for a few days - no check-in, hardly any rules, no facilities to speak of, park and that's it. On a campsite you have to go and explore for shower blocks and pools and cafes whereas on an aire there aren't any so there's no need.

But each to his own, if aires were packed with dislikers there wouldn't be room for all the likers, and vice-versa!

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
An aire is an overnight stop, a chance to explore the town get your shopping fill up/empty out without walking miles or getting a bus, they are the jewel in the crown for motorhomers in France, many even have free leccy. Some are beside lakes/rivers/canals and great for kayaking or fishing. some are deserted, others fill up unless you get there early, The stelpatz in Germany and Sostas in Italy work the same way. All make for relaxed touring rather than expencive site sitting. Horses for courses really.:thumb: They are generally limited to 2 nights stop and no caravans.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back