Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
I am looking to buy a drive away awning. The one I had in mind is the Outdoor Revolution Cayman XLF. Now here is my problem, on my Laika Ecovip 4L the Hab door is set high and just 15cm below the Fiamma wind out awning. Would I be able to open the Hab door without too much trouble or am I just looking at something that will not fit. I have attached a photo of the MH

Attachments

• Laika 3.jpg
    Laika 3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 40
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Peter of John's Cross is a member and gives a good discount. I recently looked, on line, at a Vango inflatable awning that is both light and strong. Importantly they do two heights and their tallest is suitable for a rail up to 190cm from the floor - most awnings seem to have a maximum of 150cm. Worth a look and Peter, or one of his team, will be able to answer your particular question.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They key is not only whether the tunnel height is sufficient but what angle it will be at when attached, some that are tall have such a steep angle that the habitation door catches on the roof in use so it can't be opened fully. :Doh:

I'd suggest getting a good second hand one off ebay etc so that if it doesn't fit well you should be able to sell-it on for the same price as you paid for it so won't lose a load of dosh in the process. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am looking to buy a drive away awning. The one I had in mind is the Outdoor Revolution Cayman XLF. Now here is my problem, on my Laika Ecovip 4L the Hab door is set high and just 15cm below the Fiamma wind out awning. Would I be able to open the Hab door without too much trouble or am I just looking at something that will not fit. I have attached a photo of the MH

We dabbled with drive away awnings, the problem we had was getting anywhere near a fitting back to MH, we now have a Kampa Air which attaches to the wind out awning which is then retracted, but this is not a drive away, the gap from our door to wind out awning is very similar to yours

If you are getting a true drive away the 'connection' seems to be a throw over sheet with ropes that you tie / peg down on the far side, this will therefore be much higher so less of an issue

We bought an Isabella drive away first which luckily we managed to return as the poles were not right for the canvas, but the fit was awful on our MH

Good luck

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are getting a true drive away the 'connection' seems to be a throw over sheet with ropes that you tie / peg down on the far side, this will therefore be much higher so less of an issue
This is partly true, with most drive-away awnings you have the choice of attaching it either by:

• using a Kador (figure of 8) kit which you thread into the front edge of your existing wind-out awning (if you have one) and the tunnel of the drive-away awning itself - this is fairly easy to do and to detach it is just a matter of pulling out the figure of 8 plastic strips and when you return just slotting them back on again once you've lined your MH back up (you need to mark where the wheels needs to go BEFORE you drive off!).
or

• using long straps to throw over your van and secure it on the other side - this again is easy but they can snag on stuff on your roof and have a tendency to rub on the roof edges too.
We've done both methods and the first is by far the best and more secure.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This is partly true, with most drive-away awnings you have the choice of attaching it either by:

• using a Kador (figure of 8) kit which you thread into the front edge of your existing wind-out awning (if you have one) and the tunnel of the drive-away awning itself - this is fairly easy to do and to detach it is just a matter of pulling out the figure of 8 plastic strips and when you return just slotting them back on again once you've lined your MH back up (you need to mark where the wheels needs to go BEFORE you drive off!).
or

• using long straps to throw over your van and secure it on the other side - this again is easy but they can snag on stuff on your roof and have a tendency to rub on the roof edges too.
We've done both methods and the first is by far the best and more secure.:thumb:

We did try option 1, but struggled to get at it, we have an A class nearly 3m high, then even when connected the joining 'flap' seemed to just sag, or we could move the whole awning further away from MH and have an even poorer 'seal', actually a big gap between MH and awning. We felt we might as well put up a separate tent

My opinion of course, thankfully we all have our own minds, but I think the variation in heights make the connection between the 2 the weak link, hence us going for a permanently attached awning

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We did try option 1, but struggled to get at it, we have an A class nearly 3m high, then even when connected the joining 'flap' seemed to just sag, or we could move the whole awning further away from MH and have an even poorer 'seal', actually a big gap between MH and awning. We felt we might as well put up a separate tent

My opinion of course, thankfully we all have our own minds, but I think the variation in heights make the connection between the 2 the weak link, hence us going for a permanently attached awning
It will, of course, depend on what MH you have and what make of drive-away you have as to how successful the 'attachment' will be as they do differ quite a lot (we've had loads of awnings!).

The other option of course is something like a safari/privacy room (or panels) that utilise the existing fully-extended wind-out awning.

Another thing to watch out for with an 'attached' type awning is that they don't have any strengthening material in the upper corners next to the MH if this is where your habitation door is as this can again foul on the door ... as we found out with a previous one! :Doh:

OP
OP
Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
Looking at the picture of the Cayman is does look as though your hab door will conflict with the entrance into the awning annexe.
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/outdoor-revolution-cayman-xlf-azure-blue.html

We have loads of different types, just click on title to see

Inflatable Awnings

Motorhome Awnings

Vango Airaway Awnings

Awning Annexes

You can always give us a call and ask although our phones are extremely busy at the moment

Peter
Thanks Peter but they are all of the same ilk. most only up to 250/260cm rail hight. the Tourer is up to 290cm

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Vango Kela Tall is 290cm and would be my choice if I was going down that road (again).

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi
I can see you're in Sheffield... But if you find your way down London way in the near future we have a outdoor revolution XLF which we used on a van just under 3m high. You could give it a try.. We don't need it any more and are looking to sell it.. But if you just needed to test it I don't mind you trying it if it helps.

OP
OP
Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
Hi
I can see you're in Sheffield... But if you find your way down London way in the near future we have a outdoor revolution XLF which we used on a van just under 3m high. You could give it a try.. We don't need it any more and are looking to sell it.. But if you just needed to test it I don't mind you trying it if it helps.
That is so kind and thoughtful of you at the moment I can not see me getting down that way. However if you are thinking of selling it and if the price is right I would buy it from you then if it is slighty out of sinc with the door I could adapt it in some way or other.
Thanks again for you kind offer

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Vango Kela Tall is 290cm and would be my choice if I was going down that road (again).

IMV not a good choice as the only difference is the height of the tunnel, the main awning is still relatively low so the problem with the angle of the tunnel will prevent the door opening. Whilst at the Peterborough show I did notice that the new Outdoor Revolution Oxygen awnings are taller so therefore the tunnel has less of an angle.:Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the khyam motordome 780 fits the height of your van well. very stable in the wind and a tall tunnel. just wind the fiamma out 3ft attach using figure 8 beading and wind back in to firmly attach. i can have mine up pitched and attached in just a few minutes

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=200020&product=Motordome Excelsior 780

OP
OP
Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
the khyam motordome 780 fits the height of your van well. very stable in the wind and a tall tunnel. just wind the fiamma out 3ft attach using figure 8 beading and wind back in to firmly attach. i can have mine up pitched and attached in just a few minutes

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=200020&product=Motordome Excelsior 780

It is not the hight of the van that is a problem it is will the door catch the awning on opening, as the door is only 15cm lower than the wind out rail.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=200020&product=Motordome%20Excelsior%20780

We dabbled with drive away awnings, the problem we had was getting anywhere near a fitting back to MH, we now have a Kampa Air which attaches to the wind out awning which is then retracted, but this is not a drive away, the gap from our door to wind out awning is very similar to yours

We bought an Isabella drive away first which luckily we managed to return as the poles were not right for the canvas, but the fit was awful on our MH

Good luck

I think we have both covered your internal height concerns (reference to door / roof)

You have at least a choice of 2 that should work on yours, ours is the XL Kampa Air which you would need

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back