Moving data from one external hard drive to another (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have to transfer some data from one hard drive to another is it possible without loading all the data in to the computer and then moving it?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Are these both external hard disks in caddies John?

USB?

If so they will just create 2 new drive letters.

What size 2.5 " or 3.5" and IDE or SATA?

Sorry so many questions.

BTW I use a bit of software called Beyond Compare which is brilliant.Can be used for a short time on trail.We got the registered version.Enabled transfers to carry on from where they left off in case of a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
It would just be an old 40gb maplins jobby to a 340gb maplins one via my laptop:Doh::RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if both will plug in the laptop you will have two extra drive letters, using windows explorer just drag and drop from one drive to another. good luck may take a while.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
while we're on the subject....is it possible to copy the whole hard drive from a pc to a standalone usb hard drive so the original can be formatted then most files and programmes reinstalled to the original hard drive after being scanned for viruses

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
while we're on the subject....is it possible to copy the whole hard drive from a pc to a standalone usb hard drive so the original can be formatted then most files and programmes reinstalled to the original hard drive after being scanned for viruses

You can certainly copy the contents of the drive. However, in order to register (within Windows rather than with the publishers) the software properly, programs would have to be re-installed rather than just being copied back. OK to copy the data files back after the disk formatting though.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can certainly copy the contents of the drive. However, in order to register (within Windows rather than with the publishers) the software properly, programs would have to be re-installed rather than just being copied back. OK to copy the data files back after the disk formatting though.

Graham
cheers graham,
that was the bit i wasnt sure of.
some of the progs discs are now lost/unavailable so they may have to be missed out.
the reason for the reformat is its running so slow due to so many viruses being downloaded over the last few years..(bloody kids, music and vid files all over the place):Eeek:it can take upto 20/25 mins to boot some times and 5/10 mins to shut down.:Doh:

i'v tried defrag and disc cleanup so many times but it dont really make any difference.

there are far too many files to check each one as it is but after the format a lot wont be going back anyway.

BTW john, sorry to hijack your thread.:Blush:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
<snip>
some of the progs discs are now lost/unavailable so they may have to be missed out.
<bigger snip>

In that case, John, I'm guessing that the software is fairly old. If the software is useful to you it might be worth looking on eBay where copies of older software discs are sometimes available reasonably cheaply.

Another source to consider is budget publishers like Focus (which I've bought in shops like PC World and Staples in the past). Some of their titles are older versions of "full price" programs which are also reasonable cheap.

There are also programs available on-line (sometimes free) which can read old files and "translate" them for use by newer software.

Graham

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I have the 40gb downloaded via XP whereas my new puter is vista will it copy over OK?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
It is possible and we use Ghost for doing exactly that.

That, apart from using dos, is the only way you're going to get the whole data (including locked system files) on to the other drive.

We normally use it when a customer is replacing the original Hard disk with a much bigger one.

Used with PartitionMagic these are 2 very valuable tools.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is possible and we use Ghost for doing exactly that.

That, apart from using dos, is the only way you're going to get the whole data (including locked system files) on to the other drive.

We normally use it when a customer is replacing the original Hard disk with a much bigger one.

Used with PartitionMagic these are 2 very valuable tools.

I thought about Ghost, Steve, when I replied to John. However, I didn't mention it because I thought that would just replace the original image when John's requirement was to rid himself of unwanted "litter".

It isn't a program I've used (even though I have a copy which came with an external CD drive) so I'm not sure if I'm correct or not - be interested to read your advice.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I thought about Ghost, Steve, when I replied to John. However, I didn't mention it because I thought that would just replace the original image when John's requirement was to rid himself of unwanted "litter".

It isn't a program I've used (even though I have a copy which came with an external CD drive) so I'm not sure if I'm correct or not - be interested to read your advice.

Graham

We usually get rid of all the Virus' and Spyware/malware first and then Ghost it across to the new drive.

That's if the customer has lost the original installation disks/activation keys.

Depends on the state of the drive data etc.John mentions running slow etc.

You are right though.Corruption and other problems can be copied across.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back