Things learned... (1 Viewer)

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
Just returned from our first ever weekend away in our new MH called 'Elsie' and we have learned one or two things already..
The MH needs to slope slightly towards the shower plug - otherwise you end up with a jacuzzi'
Childless middle aged couple (like ourselves) would be well advised to avoid family orientated camp sites on Bank Holiday Monday - the noise rivaled the motorbike rallies of our youth!
Don't listen to advice from the Arundel Tourist Info Centre - they have no idea how far Littlehampton is on foot! One mile my ***!
Its embarressing to try and find a bottle bank for that many empties - take them
home and re-fill with more home-brew.
We need a step down from the MH - especially after the empty bottles - Casualty Dept sayes my knee will mend with rest.
Check you do actually have a double sleeping bag for 2 people - it looked big rolled up in the shop, but turned out to be just a single when unrolled.
We need to plan our next trip round a good walk and take a 'wellie' box with us to stow under the van when sited.
It was good fun, and a lot dryer than our mates were on thier motorbike rally near Birmingham.

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Just returned from our first ever weekend away in our new MH called 'Elsie' and we have learned one or two things already..
The MH needs to slope slightly towards the shower plug - otherwise you end up with a jacuzzi'
Childless middle aged couple (like ourselves) would be well advised to avoid family orientated camp sites on Bank Holiday Monday - the noise rivaled the motorbike rallies of our youth!
Don't listen to advice from the Arundel Tourist Info Centre - they have no idea how far Littlehampton is on foot! One mile my ***!
Its embarressing to try and find a bottle bank for that many empties - take them
home and re-fill with more home-brew.
We need a step down from the MH - especially after the empty bottles - Casualty Dept sayes my knee will mend with rest.
Check you do actually have a double sleeping bag for 2 people - it looked big rolled up in the shop, but turned out to be just a single when unrolled.
We need to plan our next trip round a good walk and take a 'wellie' box with us to stow under the van when sited.
It was good fun, and a lot dryer than our mates were on thier motorbike rally near Birmingham.

aaah, that first trip away....I remember it well:Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Wellie box - you could do worse than one of those folding crates :thumb:

Do you plan on attending any of the MHF meets? Or you could always put one up in the calendar :thumb::winky:

Bryan

OP
OP
P

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
If you got a strong enough box for your wellies you could use it as a step as well :ROFLMAO:

Now there is a foward thinking person! You're a genius - and I think the former 'council waste paper re-cycling box' will fit the bill nicely - so nice to make use of things the council force upon us!

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
Glad to hear you've got that fateful 1st weekend out of the way, seem to remember we spent most of ours trying to figure out the electric hook up :Sad:

We never ever ever never spend BH away in the UK, ever never! Bad news from the first traffic jam - and then it's down hill from there - unless you start making bacon butties n cupsa tea to flog to the masses in the same traffic jam :ROFLMAO:

about your sleeping bag - I think you might be better off with 2 singles - can always zip them together if it's cold or you're feeling frisky :winky:

we only have a small van and so try to make sure that anything that goes has at least 2 alternative uses, so if you can find a sturdy box with a lid you can have a step, an outside 'table' for the drinks and a welly box.

Now that you've started - go to where the living is easy n camping more fun - YES off to mainland europe - you'll not regret it. :ROFLMAO:

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
I put my wellies under the van when the rain stopped and when it started again I fished them out and they were full of worms. Not the sort of worms Merv could use for fishing either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Hi, lost count of the number of sites that advertise ‘just one mile to xxx’ normally that means to the town sign saying welcome. The town itself can be miles further down the road. :Sad:

Just a though have you started a checklist? I list everything that should be in the van. Started after arrived at a site to find I had washed the sleeping bags and not put them back but more importantly we had drunk all the wine last time out. :Doh:
I also keep a small pad handy in the van so I can jot ideas down whilst away and list those extra items I need, I find that if I leave it until I am home I have forgotten all those great ideas I had (well they seemed great at the time).
Most important enjoy, we started some 9 months ago and have not looked back since. :thumb:

Colin

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Congratulations on your first trip. I remember ours very well! Are you members of a club yet - we are with Caravan Club.
When we go onto a new site we usually drive around and try and find a quiet spot away from play areas etc. We also try and find a pitch where there are no signs of young people next door ( bikes and toys laying about), or we opt for adult only sites if it is a bank holiday weekend. Try Googling "adult only campsites".
There is also a directory of adult only sites throughout the country. If you want, I will find mine and let you know where to get it from. PM me if you like.

OP
OP
P

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
Hi, lost count of the number of sites that advertise ‘just one mile to xxx’ normally that means to the town sign saying welcome. The town itself can be miles further down the road. :Sad:

Just a though have you started a checklist? I list everything that should be in the van. Started after arrived at a site to find I had washed the sleeping bags and not put them back but more importantly we had drunk all the wine last time out. :Doh:
I also keep a small pad handy in the van so I can jot ideas down whilst away and list those extra items I need, I find that if I leave it until I am home I have forgotten all those great ideas I had (well they seemed great at the time).
Most important enjoy, we started some 9 months ago and have not looked back since. :thumb:

Colin

Thanks for the tips, one thing we would never forget is the home-brew! I have started a checklist of our own on the computer and I just print off a copy, ours has to include things like 'book dog-sitter' and 'contact lenses'. Think we will also get aanother sat nav for use when walking - still have a knee like a football!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Hi,
Before we bought our first van I borrowed a friend panel van conversion with no step and know what you mean. So when looking for our first van picked one with an electric step. First night out with the friends (after a few wines) was showing off by standing outside and demonstrating how easy it was to press one button and out comes the step. Forgot to stand to one side and spent the rest of the weekend limping around with a long straight bruise across both legs. :Doh:

:ROFLMAO:

Colin

OP
OP
P

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
Thanks for all the replies and info guys - especially 'Finby' (did try to PM you back but can't get the hang of it) anyway, we will certainly book adult only sites in future. The problem on this first trip was that we only bought the MH the week before bank holiday, so obviously we couldn't wait to go somewhere - anywhere - but most places were booked up, in future we would think twice about going anywhere on a bank holiday believe me!
We have to go out to our villa in Turkey in a couple of weeks time (it will be hot - too hot for me really) so the MH won't be used again until mid-october, but we are hoping to use her most of the way through the winter, though the husband did say that if it doesn't stop raining he will add a pair of paddles to the 'essentials' list!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back