Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hello All,

We are considering getting a 3 Wheel Scooter, MP3 I think they are called. Does anybody have any experience of these?

Rob

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Hello All,

We are considering getting a 3 Wheel Scooter, MP3 I think they are called. Does anybody have any experience of these?

No but if I had the cash I would definitely get one. On my grandad rights car licence I can only ride a 50cc scooter. :cry:

Does the job though as long as no hills involved and I have hours to spare. ::bigsmile:

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
No but if I had the cash I would definitely get one. On my grandad rights car licence I can only ride a 50cc scooter. :cry:

Or an MP3. With or without a lid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Broken Link Removed
if i only had 50cc licence i would have one of these.
i use a 90cc version . great bit of kit had mine 13 yrs now. .
have had a few 110cc and a couple of 50cc ones as well . my girlfriend used the 5occ .
even the 50cc will carry two fat people and still be happy at 25-30mph .
dont be put off by being chinese . only trouble i have had is speedo cables breaking . i have worn out the tyres on mine . must get some new ones . must have done over 7000mls so its cheap transport .
that price is definitely a good one .

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Was tempted a couple of years ago, The MP3 is a great concept see here Broken Link Removed
however weight is an issue with the Piaggio MP3 so trailer is a must and that's another financial outlay to be added to the cost.
We finally ended up with 2 wheel Honda scooter sh300i instead.
Trust it helps :Smile:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi,I have a Gilera Fuoco which is the Madmax of the mp3 family,I bought it after a lifetime of biking a shoulder injury left me with loss of power in my right arm.
It's the same under the skin as the Piaggio mp3 just looks a bit more funky.
253kgs but with the tilt lock mechanism and parking brake it is a delight to stop,get off and walk away!!
After a bit of adaptation to 3 wheels it is great fun and very stable but fast cornering and confidence inspiring in the wet.
Most of the manufacturers of 3 wheelers realised they were missing an opportunity by the fact you need a full motorcycle licence to ride the model I own,so have now made a LT slightly larger front track model with a foot brake which can be ridden on a car licence.
There is now a much wider choice of options on engine size and manufacturer.
I have a modified Trigano trailer and ramp which makes the bike easy to load with no effort on tickover,tilt lock and parking brake on then tie down at your leisure.
It is a system that works for me and total trailer weight loaded jus under 350 kgs,hope this may be of some help,any questions please feel free to ask. :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Rob, it was discussed on here 18 months or so ago and one of our funsters bought the larger 400 or 500 cc one and at the time he was very pleased in fact he uses it in his Avatar.

I went for a test ride or drive as it can be driven on a car license and I was impressed but I know little about bikes and the like.
:thumb: Griff

By the way that funster is
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Broken Link Removed is how it all started, though I believe he had insurance difficulties farther down the road........pm him.....Griff :Smile:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The car licence issue is a good one if you haven't passed your test.

I personally wouldn't want a 50cc scotter as two up the are not powerful enough to get you out of trouble.

Look on you tube for Piaggio videos.......a normal scooter or a small step through bike with bigger wheels like the Honda ANF125 Innova would be an alternative two wheel bike.

Bigger wheels are generally safer.

barry

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
can I tow one of these behind my 2ltr petrol van. it sounds like a good idea. it is a 1990 elddis 400.:Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i still think if the wheels arent 460mm apart it doesnt count as a trike . but i may be wrong .
i like the dax as they only weigh about 80kg .
after all its not for serious m,bike riding just drifting along through the place you stay not going 30 miles away.

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Can anyone tell me whether you can carry a pillion passenger on an MP3 if you have passed a car test, but not a motorcycle test...didnt mean to hi-jack the thread by the way, apologies if I have:winky:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
can I tow one of these behind my 2ltr petrol van. it sounds like a good idea. it is a 1990 elddis 400.:Cool:

Course you can cruiser!!
In my post I explained,the Gilera 500 weighs 253 kgs,the trailer gross weight is plated at max 350kgs loaded.So added a spare trailer wheel bolted on and still below this weight.You will have a plate under the bonnet with maximum train weight and am sure you would be able to pull that size trailer or bigger without any problem.
Enjoy your ride.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back