Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
OK Guys/Gals i will try to keep this as short as possible but would really really appreciate input of what you think:
When we purchased our MH/Camper a Autocruise Rythm in January of this year brand new from Spinney Motorhomes, we got it at reduced price and lots of extras threw into the deal (it was a out of the showroom model) we was told by the guy who hands the keys over to you that the engine battery would be the only let down with the van if its stood unused for a couple of weeks (we got a solar panel fitted in with the deal for the leisure battery so thats always topped up:thumb:) every time we went to the storage site to pick it up after 5 to 6 days it always started - then i had a rear view camera fitted by the auto electrician who works at spinney (went to his house and paid him £) while there the ignition was on/off lots of times while he was doing the wiring etc, when i come to start the van the battery was flat:whatthe: he was surprised too and said maybe it wasn't fully charged from when we collected it - he advised to put it on charge for 48 hrs an all should be ok:thumb: Its since been back to Spinney regarding this problem but when tested they said it was not the battery and not enough drain on it to warrant it going flat after a couple of days, I purchased a good ctec charger and also a small solar panel that sits on the dash while its at the storage site - and since having the dash solar panel the battery is always reading 13.3v and fires up no problem even after 2 weeks so i know that the small solar panel is doing its job - but saturday just gone we drove about 180 miles all over the peak district and came back late saturday evening, i left the van outside the house and didnt connect the small solar panel - it stood outside all day Sunday - came to start it Monday = dead as a door nail:Eeek: Oh Please! is this normal:cry:
In the meantime i am waiting for a Battery Master off CudleyDudley (thx George:thumb:) me thinks as the leisure batter is always charged this would be the best route to take - but the fact of the matter is = this normal ?

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Sounds like the battery has a drain on it somewhere roughly equivelent to the power gained by the solar panel, OR, the battery is duff, and in any case, needs checking out properly. A direct link battery tester would show if the power dropped away quickly, showing a damaged cell. This test needs the battery disconnecting from the vehicle. The other check is done with a multi meter, which would tell you if power is being drained by testing the battery every couple of hours over a period of time. It should start at around 12.8v and end up too flat to be much use at 12.4 v. Many motor homes are fitted with a button to link all the batteries together when the engine battery is down, and others do it automatically, and also allow power from the main solar panel to charge the engine battery. There are a few different charge units available that control split charging etc. your supplier should sort the battery problem though under the guarantee, so give them some grief till they do. The vehicle has to be fit for the use it was sold for, which it isn't at the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back