Idiots question (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
What sort of length of clear hose do we need for filling up the water tanks???, and before someone says it, the answer is NOT ' how long is a piece of string !!!'

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Ours is about 5m - not had a problem so far. We have a longer hose but haven't had to use it. If buying, I would be tempted to get 10m and cut it in half and quick release joint so that you have the capacity for 10m but don't have to deal with such a length for the majority of the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
What sort of length of clear hose do we need for filling up the water tanks???, and before someone says it, the answer is NOT ' how long is a piece of string !!!'

How far will you be from a tap?
If you know this, then your question is answered.
Simple really.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I bought a flat food grade hose 15mtrs I think on a reel, I only use it at home to fill tank, then use watering can to top up as needed on site, saves hassle of getting to a water tap.

Margaret

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Get more than you need and cut the hose into two sections clipped together with Hozelock type adapters - that way you can use whatever length you need on the day. Don't buy your hose fittings in a garden centre or B&Q - local markets are often a whole lot cheaper.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Why clear hose? I have a 7m length of Whale (I think) that connects to the filler unit on the van but carry a variety of Hozelock connectors to extend it with ordinary hosepipe if necessary. If you drink the water from your onboard tank use blue potable hose and try a 5m length with an extra length in reserve to extend it if necessary. :Smile:

Edit: magicsurfbus beat me to it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have 2x 5m lengths of food grade hose with hoselock fittings on. I also carry a selection of brass connectors, hose end and tap connectors. i usually get away with using just 5m but on occasions have to connect the 2 hoses.

with a brass hose end, i can shut the water off till i reach the tank, plus the weight and size of it holds the hose into the filler port well so i can let go and do other jobs as the tank fills

i wouldnt choose clear food grade hose, as it will discolour and although remain safe it will probably start to look nasty. mine is white marine grade which i picked up locally at under £10 per 5m length

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've been using a 3 metre length of food hose for 5 years and haven't failed to fill up. (yet)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Where does everyone buy their hose, connectors etc is it from a diy shop or online. Was told i would need a collection of connectors so not sure what to buy.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

I use blue food grade hose rather than clear. Bought a 30m length that I cut into three sections: 3m, 9m and 18m. All equipped with Hozelock connectors so they can be connected together to form one continuous length if necessary, but more often used separately according to distance from tap. :Smile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Where does everyone buy their hose, connectors etc is it from a diy shop or online. Was told i would need a collection of connectors so not sure what to buy.

I bought a reel of 20Mtrs flat hose at dealer where I bought van,and then various connectors from DIY stores and M'sieur Bricolage ::bigsmile:

Mike

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have a shop i use locally that sells garden stuff and bankrupt stock. but also bought some more quality fittings from ebay cheaply. dont rely on the cheap chinese plastic copies of hoselock fittings as they crack or wear out quickly. 99p for a chinese one £2.99 for a quality part

could also use B&Q etc as they always have stock

or
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Clear hose is not the best as daylight penetration can promote algal growth in the damp hose. I carry black food-grade hose in two lengths: 5 metres and 15 metres both equipped with push connectors (Hozelock) and a coupling spigot.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hose

Hoselock now do a mini reel with 15 mfrs hose. very compact and easy storage. Its not food grade but I flush it through thoroughly before use and do not think water from it will cause any problems.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I carry two flat hoses, one a 10mtr the other a 20mtr, also 3 tap connectors, 2 screw on ones of different sizes and a push on one. I have a hose connector as well but never had to use it. The short one is most used but have use the long one a few times on sites to reach distant taps without moving. ::bigsmile:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I have a 25mtre blue flat pack hose & a short clear hose for filling next to the tap & on our last outing we needed to fill up so we rolled out both & were a few feet short so had to move the MH so another blue flat roll is needed....

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You can get food grade hose from a caravan/motorhome dealers accessory shop. The hose we use the most is about 5m and is reinforced water pipe of the type that is widely used for MH internal plumbing. Our is actually red (hot water) as the shop at the time didn't have any blue.
Also have a reel of layflat food grade which is rarely used, and a 2m one for when I'm next to the tap. Also carry a watering can.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I just use a watering can and it`s good excercise:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun