Hymer Model Question and any for sale out there. (1 Viewer)

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Spent a very pleasant evening with Eddie and Carol at the Chester Food and Drink Festival in their Hymer 584. Thanks again!
I couldn't believe how much more space there was in their MH compared to ours. Another reason for looking is we would like to use the MH in winter.
Any Hymer fan out there who can make sense of the Hymer model numbers?
I've had advise from someone who has been in the MH business side for many years and he suggested a Hymer up to 2006 due to their superior build quality, or should we look for a later model?
Ideally we want to buy a low mileage 6 metre model preferably with all the extras, in superb condition. Definitely from a non smoker previous owner.

What model numbers should we look for?
Would also consider any other make made by the Hymer company.

Thanks for reading.
Brian.

OP
OP
1Oll

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Hymer Help Required.

Post edited and shortened as no replies received.
Any Hymer fan or owner out there who can make sense of the Hymer model numbers?
I've had advise from someone who has been in the MH business side for many years and he suggested a Hymer model manufactured up to 2006, due to their superior build quality, or should we look for a later model?
Ideally we want to buy a low mileage 6 metre model preferably with all the extras, in superb condition. Definitely from a non smoker previous owner.

What model numbers should we look for?
Would also consider any other makes made by the Hymer company, similar to the Hymer 584, any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
Brian.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Deleted,,,, got the wrong end of the question..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I think the Hymer numbers are a bit like train numbers for train spotters. They are a mystery to most folks, but here is my very limited understanding.

B stands for A Class ( of course!) usually on a Fiat
S also stands but on A Class but on a Merc
C stands for coach built (logical)
The first number stands for the length in metres, I.e B564 is 5 metres & something.

After that it's all a mystery to me:Confused:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
How about this one.

Broken Link Removed

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I might be able to help, as I've just purchased an immaculate low mileage, 2005 Hymer b524, length 6.4m :Smile:
To early to say if it's a good van, but at the moment, I'm extremely pleased ::bigsmile:
My previous van was a b544, so have some idea of what's what...

This might give you some idea of layouts and so on. Broken Link Removed

When looking I noticed that Rapido, Euramobil and the Burstner Elegance were all of similar quality, if not better.

Generally speaking, the older the Hymer, the better the build quality - trade off is older mechanics and technology...

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That is a very useful link to the 2005 catalogue but be aware when looking at the layouts, that the stated MAM of 3,500 kg on many models may not be the plated weight of a real example. Most UK imported vans brought in by Brownhills when they had the franchise were specified on the Fiat Maxi chassis which could be plated at 3,900 kg. Also, the Merc - based ones are often set at 3,800 kg. I think the general reference to 3,500 kg was designed not to frighten off drivers who do not have a C1 category on their driving licence.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
you need to decide what layout you want, then you can concentrate on the couple of model numbers that cover that set up .eg i have a hymer b534, which is a A class with a rear lounge, on a fiat chassis . the s550 is the same layout but on mercedes running gear . trying to gleam info from the many model numbers alone is akin to trying to crack the enigma code without the decipher machine !! [it must be a german thing eh !!] regards garry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• fiat_b.jpg
    fiat_b.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 393
  • fiat_e.jpg
    fiat_e.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 396
  • merc_fiat.jpg
    merc_fiat.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 386
  • merc_s.jpg
    merc_s.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 384
  • merc_s2.jpg
    merc_s2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 397
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
That is a very useful link to the 2005 catalogue but be aware when looking at the layouts, that the stated MAM of 3,500 kg on many models may not be the plated weight of a real example. Most UK imported vans brought in by Brownhills when they had the franchise were specified on the Fiat Maxi chassis which could be plated at 3,900 kg. Also, the Merc - based ones are often set at 3,800 kg. I think the general reference to 3,500 kg was designed not to frighten off drivers who do not have a C1 category on their driving licence.

Very interesting point. Mine originally came from Brownhills and is plated at 3500kg. In my manual someone has pencilled in an asterisk next to Ducato 15 chassis, suggesting the 3500kg limit.
However, when I ran a vehicle hpi check it listed the van as a Ducato 18 chassis (maxi). I really must investigate this further !

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
hymer

Hi, I have a b654 but with 2 sofas opposite each other.
if you can get a merc base you may have to pay more.
also hamilton engineering do hymers. From what I hear a bit dear but good vehicles, and what they dont know about hymers isn't worth knowing.
you could also try the hymer owner's club.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As a very simple rule of thumb for the B-class (A class) vans. If the number sequence ends in a 0 or 5 as in B**0 or B**5 it is based on a Mercedes chassis. Most of the Fiat models end in a 4. The Fiat based E-class from the late 90s - early 2000s was an exception to this as they were E**0.
Many model sequences represent the same layout on different chassis. So, for example, a B654 is on a Fiat but a B655 is a Starline on a Merc chassis. There were also a few 'Classic' models based on the Merc chassis as well as the same layout on a Fiat. 'Classic' was a lower cost version of a standard B-class. Later on, the more expensive version was called B-SL and the cheaper was B-CL but by this time the CLs were all Fiat based. From around 2000 onwards, the B-class or B-SL Fiat-based all had an Alko double floor. The Classic or CL were all on the original Fiat van chassis. Mercs have aways been on the original Sprinter chassis with no Alko option.
S-class were always on a Merc chassis and were the most expensive.

Don't be misled by thinking that a Hymer has to have an Alko double floor to be winterised. This is not true - they are all winterised with heated waste tanks and dump valves and inboard fresh tanks.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I started with early B534 and stayed with that Hymer model as i am delighted with the layout and performance. Suites me fine for winter Ski trips.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I've had 7 different Hymers, all A class models from 89 to 2004. All were good.
Currently got a 2002 S650, designed and built to launch for the millenium as the best van ever made, Hymer called it the Mozart project.
It's by far the best van I've had, no expense was spared by Hymer in the design and build quality, absolutely bullet proof.
Love it, if you can find one check it out as people tend to hang onto them.:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Currently got a 2002 S650, designed and built to launch for the millenium as the best van ever made, Hymer called it the Mozart project.

Great motorhome. It's the one I would consider swapping our B630 Star-Line for. The only thing I would have to get used to is the lack of a garage but the interior or the 650 would probably outweigh that. :thumb:

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I think the Hymer numbers are a bit like train numbers for train spotters. They are a mystery to most folks, but here is my very limited understanding.

B stands for A Class ( of course!) usually on a Fiat
S also stands but on A Class but on a Merc
C stands for coach built (logical)
The first number stands for the length in metres, I.e B564 is 5 metres & something.

After that it's all a mystery to me:Confused:

That would make sense but our B584 is 6m in length.....or is it 5.99m?? :Doh:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The sole original Hymer importer was Madisons started by John Lunt, When he retired Brownhills took over and they were still the sole importer until 2011/12 when they lost the franchise. Hymer have now,sensibly,appointed some more UK agents.
Hymer Direct is Peter Hambilton's s/h Hymer dealership-what he doesn't know about Hymers isn't worth knowing. Bundesvan also deal with imported Hymers amongst other marques.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Hi Brian good luck with your Hymer quest,I can't enlighten you at all ,just a quick "Thank you "again for the help you gave to us at Chester with the solar panel fitting.Hope you both have many happy travels. Martin&Sue:thumb:

Celtic Ramblers

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we are newbies
Hello everyone, I see this post it quite dated now but just to be a right pain, I need to ask anyone here a question....Why can we not get any information on our "2005 (05) Hymer B634, 4 berth A class German motorhome....We have had it about a week now, it is lovely, we love it, it is an automatic left hand drive and his name is Preston, thing is though, there is nothing about this particular vehicle anywhere.
After reading about the sizes and number codes that The Big One posted...I am so confused LMAO

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why can we not get any information on our "2005 (05) Hymer B634, 4 berth A class German motorhome....We have had it about a week now, it is lovely, we love it, it is an automatic left hand drive and his name is Preston, thing is though, there is nothing about this particular vehicle anywhere.

specifically, what do you want to know ?

You could also post questions in the Hymer forum http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/hymer.86/

Celtic Ramblers

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we are newbies
Thank you scotjimland, I was just browsing the net for any information but there seems to be nothing, I was not wanting to be specific but then I just wondered why there doesn't seem to be anything pertaining to it other than from where we bought him.

Celtic Ramblers

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we are newbies
he is a full automatic and a left hand drive so we were over the moon, left hand drives with space and an auto is a bonus but we looked around for ages for a manual

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I have a 2004 Hymer brochure and there is no mention of a B634.

They may have introduced that model in 2005, I suppose !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back