Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Snipped this regards to new payment system :Doh:

Works starts on Dartford Toll plaza's today!
As reported by Kent News, Work begins tonight on the first stage of phasing out the Dartford Crossing’s controvesial toll booths. Motorists are warned it could cause some disruption.

The scheme, known as ‘Dart Charge’ will see the booths replaced with number plate recognition technology which should be fully operation by October.

At this stage, the work mainly involves putting up new signage, and will take place overnight to minimise inconvenience to motorists.

The free-flowing system will mean no more stopping to pay to use the crossing, with motorists instead paying in advance or up to 24-hours after completing the journey.

Payment methods will include online, by text, phone or at numerous retail outlets.

This first phase will be finished over the summer, and takes place at various times on the A282 on both approaches to the crossing, the M25 both directions between junction 29 and junction three, the A13 both directions approaching junction 30, and the M20 westbound between junctions three and one.

It will take place during off-peak daytime hours on the A1306 both directions approaching junction 31, the A2 both directions approaching junction two, the eastbound Bob Dunn Way in Dartford, and the southbound Crossways Boulevard in Dartford.

After October, the payment booths will be removed and road layout changes will be completed, with final building work finished by spring 2015.

The Local Residents scheme for those residing in Dartford & Thurrock will remain - details will be published nearer the time.

My view... It would be ABSOLUTE MADNESS to make any decision on a new Thames Crossing until this work is completed and more importantly the results analysed...

I await my non-generic Department of Transport response with baited breath...

Edit http://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/news/11173908.QEII_to_close_for_the_night_on_Saturday/

:fatbuddha::fatbuddha::fatbuddha:

Last edited:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
oh Fbleepbleep!

its cahos enough & there will be plenty of people geting fined on this new system.....

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
oh Fbleepbleep!

its cahos enough & there will be plenty of people geting fined on this new system.....

It's been on the cards for a few years

It's a bit of a bottleneck with the tolls and lakeside shop centre
After end of August till after Christmas

And most bank holidays

Come to that it's a pain when there's a y in the day

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
All the bottleneck could have been resolved if they'd simply stopped charging a toll for the crossing. It must have paid for itself several times over by now.:Angry:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
It's been on the cards for a few years

It's a bit of a bottleneck with the tolls and lakeside shop centre
After end of August till after Christmas

And most bank holidays

Come to that it's a pain when there's a y in the day

its the brunt of my earnings sitting in traffic day after day on the M25 :ROFLMAO: paid hourly :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
its the brunt of my earnings sitting in traffic day after day on the M25 :ROFLMAO: paid hourly :ROFLMAO:

Thing when it's chocked back
The surrounding areas are gridlocked

Took me 90 minutes 1 evening when at work to cross the m25
On the A13 just backed up from the bridge and lakeside no accidents

Hated getting a late job other side of the m25
We couldn't refuse it and wasn't paid to travel back or overtime
If finishing after time

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Payment methods will include online, by text, phone or at numerous retail outlets.

That's great as long as people have the technology, it works and they can use it to pay. I can see many non-local drivers trying to find a "numerous" retail outlet whilst also attempting to get to the tunnel or a ferry on time or to get home.........

I'm not cynical, just experienced!

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
So how will foreign plated vehicles pay?
Do uk ANPR systems read non uk plates?
Will they chase say a Turkish truck driver for his £10?

I reckon they will make a fortune on the non payers, the congestion charge used to be £100 if not paid on the day, just think how many will forget to pay once through and only remember once the penalty and photo arrive.

As always drivers are being screwed for cash.....use the fortunes they gave taken to build a second bridge now.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thing when it's chocked back
The surrounding areas are gridlocked

Took me 90 minutes 1 evening when at work to cross the m25
On the A13 just backed up from the bridge and lakeside no accidents

Hated getting a late job other side of the m25
We couldn't refuse it and wasn't paid to travel back or overtime
If finishing after time

Our office is by the Ibis hotel almost under the bridge - it can be hell getting home sometimes. Luckily I work from home most of the time.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We don't use the crossing much now we have moved away from Kent but I have just ordered a Dart Tag with £10 credit to save hassle and a discounted rate:thumb:

How long does the Dar Tag last for? We only use it twice a year.:Doh:

Best advice for this year will be stay away, it's bound to be chaos while they rebuild.

Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
I try to travel between 10pm & 6am if I can & wild camp somewhere when I cross from Essex to Kent, roads clearer & free tolls.
I will only cross a few times a year so will watch out to see the best way of paying if I have to.
Does the DartTag last & can you put 2 vehicles on it, as I don't mind getting a DartTag as long as they do not expire & I waste my money.:thumb:

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
We are going that way very soon.

Does anyone know whether the same pay at the booth will still operate in May or June? Think we will look for another route over in the future as we don't like the online payment route.

(Same in France don'tlike unmanned booths as they took payment twice a couple of years ago. I pressed the bell and spoke in French but did not get anywhere).
Staging lady
Lucille

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I try to travel between 10pm & 6am if I can & wild camp somewhere when I cross from Essex to Kent, roads clearer & free tolls.
I will only cross a few times a year so will watch out to see the best way of paying if I have to.
Does the DartTag last & can you put 2 vehicles on it, as I don't mind getting a DartTag as long as they do not expire & I waste my money.:thumb:

Dart tags are free on issue although you have to open an account and put some money in the account which always needs to be in credit.
The tags last indefinitely.

If you only use the crossing a few times each year it's not worth getting a tag. Just take some pound coins and put two into the cash baskets each tie you pass through.

Motorhomes are charged as private cars and not as vans.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
When the new Widnes/Runcorn bridge is built the new and old bridges will have tolls on them, far more costly than the Dartford crossing cost, and only limited exemptions for locals.

You would then gave to travel further inland to avoid tolls to cross the Mersey, either Warrington Town Centre, a nightmare, or the M6 at Thelwall.

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
How long does the Dar Tag last for? We only use it twice a year.:Doh:

Best advice for this year will be stay away, it's bound to be chaos while they rebuild.

my local resident tag is renewable every 12 months
with proof of residency

i think a non resident is non expiring
but linked to a credit debit card:thumb:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
All the bottleneck could have been resolved if they'd simply stopped charging a toll for the crossing. It must have paid for itself several times over by now.:Angry:

totally agree..

that's what we were told originally when the bridge was built, that the dartford crossing would be toll free once the costs had been covered, but as usual the powers that be go back on their word/promises and sting the motorists once again.
disabled drivers, those with tax free road fund discs have been able to cross for free, stopping at the toll booth for them to check and fill in a quick form, wonder if it will be free once the changes take effect, have had a quick squizz around the net, can't find any info on that.. does anyone know?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Apart from the occasional bad traffic jams and the toll charges (which should have been abolished ages ago) it's a shame that they're altering the system because at least it's fair for all. Local residents get 50 crossings per year free, those like me who have a Dart-Tag get a discounted single crossing for £1.33 instead of two quid and everyone pays the toll.

I save £1.34 on each return trip but it wasn't the small saving that prompted me to get a Tag - it just saves so much hassle in remembering to put a couple of coins in the ashtray. They give change of a note, but it's not popular with those following you:Angry::Angry:

Even though I don't make many trips across, there was one episode that encouraged me to get a free Tag....... Picture the scene; I'm at the Dartford toll booth on my way to Dover. I drop one of the pound coins that the missus hands me and it bounces into the crevice between the door well and the door. Seat belt off, bang head - can't reach the coin. Open cab door a crack, coin falls out. Can't fully open the cab door because of the proximity to the booth. Horns blare behind me, expletives exchanged with other drivers in the queue (especially exchanged with the bloke in insulted my MH by calling it a 'Caravanette'!) I won't go on, but I applied for a Tag when I got back home!

BUT, what will happen in October? At the moment, I can check my account on the Dart-Tag website, I get a warning when my credit is down to a fiver and all is fair. Come October, will I no longer get my 67p discount? What happens to foreign drivers? I doubt if ANPR databases cover foreign vehicles. Will we all have to pay the full whack to cover the foreigners?

I doubt if through-put will improve much. The crossing will still be a pinch-point. I can't see folk being allowed to roar through at 70mph. So, until October, I'll just have to make a few more trips and enjoy watching the Beamers and rep-mobiles getting stuck in the outside lanes whilst I chunter through on the left and get through before them!

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Had a game first time through with the tag

Cocky me follow the instructions first time ever

It says carefully stick behind the rear view mirror

That's me sorted first ride through arrive at the barrier

Stays put him in the box says take it off the screen

And wave it around at bottom of wind screen

Bloody overhang

comming back I thought sorted
Her in the box offers gentle helpful hint

You've got it back to front turn it round

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
[HI] Does the DartTag last & can you put 2 vehicles on it,[/HI] as I don't mind getting a DartTag as long as they do not expire & I waste my money.:thumb:

1 tag 1 vehicle
We have one for her car and one for my truck

Think the tag is associated to the reg no
If I put the tag in a different car and use it
It would charge against my tag :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries