Free Member
Apr 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Hi

I am not sure about this so maybe someone can shed some light.

If the laden weight of my motorhome is 3.1kg. How much extra weight can i put in before it is over the limit.

Please advise.

Many thanks :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
depends on the vans gross weight in the first instance.

Theoretically, if the kerb weight is 3100kg and the gross weight is 3500kg then 400kg is your payload.

BUT......the kerb weight isnt always as you would expect.
A solar panel or towbar is included in the kerb weight as they are not removable and become part of the van....so a combined 100kg deducted from your payload.

By far the best way is visit a public weighbridge and see what it really weighs when empty then deduct that weight from the maximum weight on the VIN plate under the bonnet.

Sorry, just noticed you say the laden (gross) weight is 3100kg.
You need to know how much it weighs at the moment with all the stuff onboard then deduct that from the 3100kg which leaves your remaining payload.
If already over 3100kg you need to lose some weight or risk prosecution if stopped for a roadside weight check..

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi

I am not sure about this so maybe someone can shed some light.

If the laden weight of my motorhome is 3.1kg. How much extra weight can i put in before it is over the limit.

Please advise.

Many thanks :thumb:

If this IS your laden weight, you may have a very desirable model on your hands.:roflmto:

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
look under the bonnet or on the door pillar of your van and read the figures on the plate. it will show maximum laden weight, max weight on front and rear axles and maximum train weight including a trailer. then take you empty van to a weighbridge and weigh it accurately. the converters tend to put theoretical figures based on an empty van with no extras. once you know what it weighs, subtract that figure from your maximum laden weight. that will tell you how little you have to play with including passengers fuel and belongings.

on a typical van of say 3200kg unladen weight you will only have 300kg including all passengers. pretty much impossible to keep legal. many vans are therefore up-plated to 3850kg, but you need to check your driving licence will allow you to drive above 3500kg

OP
OP
Spinout

Spinout

Free Member
Apr 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Thanks for that, as I planned to take a scooter and numerous windsurf board with me!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that, as I planned to take a scooter and numerous windsurf board with me!

scooters/motorbikes on a rear mounted rack can be a problem.

Because of the leverage effect the scooter may impose too much weight on the rear axle.

A 100kg scooter may add 150kg to the axle weight depending on rear overhang length etc

Ignorance of the law will not stop you being prosecuted for being overweight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spinout

Spinout

Free Member
Apr 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Agreed, my plan is to weigh the vehicle before setting off.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Payload was a big issue for us when deciding which motorhome to buy. It's something we can't compromise on, we need a minimum 450kg payload and many don't have that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back