gas cylinder (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Hopefully , we're getting the motorhome shortly. We'll need to get a propane cylinder for it.

Think the Max size is 13kg, but we may go with 6kg to start with.

So, do we just roll up at a local gas supplier? Or do we shop around?

Also, we do not have a cylinder already, so do we have to buy / hire one of those?
We're totally clueless about gas cylinders, so any tips would be great.

Thanks in advance, Geordies

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry to hijack your thread but our local recycling place have a cage full of gas bottles - I've often wandered if you could buy an empty one from them to exchange it for a full one. Probably illegal mind. Anyone know? We're having Gasit so it's just my curious mind, nothing I intend to do.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
You should be able to get one from a salvage yard or scrappy, don't even think about going to your council refuse yard, you'll be hit by enough "It's more than my job's worth's" to last a lifetime. We sometimes see them advertised in those local Free Papers, worth a look.
A new one from Calor IIRC requires a substantial deposit as you are entering into a contract with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The larger bottles work out cheaper per kg of gas but ideally you should get two as otherwise you will need a replacement in a hurry or before the bottle is completely empty.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Have a look for a local flogas supplier, last time I went it was just £5 initial deposit, far cheaper than valor, and generally far cheaper than valor for the refills. There's flogas telephone number on bottles, they will gladly supply details of your nearest supplier if you are away and run out of gas. I unfortunately did just that whilst away and found them most helpful, they even contacted the local supplier to see is he had one in stock and arranged someone to be at the yard when I collected. Fantastic service.
Of course, the other thing to consider is a refillable, gaslow from Hamilton gas, £114 (11kg) then £64 for the refill kit, you can then fill up at any autogas station throughout Europe with the correct adapter. High initial outlay, but less than half price for a refill. 15 year guarantee.:thumb:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
We got 1 x full 6kg as part of our starter pack & the van holds 2
I enquired about the prices
1x full bought £50
1x exchange emptu for full £20 (18.50 @ go outdoors)

I serched ebay & bought 2 (1x full new & 1x part full (almost)) for £34

I now have a spare empty for when i need to go get a refill & will always ahve 1x full onboard

:Cool:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If you still need a cylinder I have a part full Calor Lite one here that is looking for a good home------the only downside is it is in Todmorden West Yorkshire----the up side is it is free and is it my daughters pub which serves the best grub in the district oh and real ale

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Sorry to hijack your thread but our local recycling place have a cage full of gas bottles - I've often wandered if you could buy an empty one from them to exchange it for a full one. Probably illegal mind. Anyone know? We're having Gasit so it's just my curious mind, nothing I intend to do.

No they are not allowed to sell them, but a reasonable donation to the tea kitty usually does the trick.:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hopefully , we're getting the motorhome shortly. We'll need to get a propane cylinder for it.

Also, [HI]we do not have a cylinder already, so do we have to buy / hire one of those?[/HI]

if you cant beg, borrow, steal or scrounge an empty bottle you have to go to Calor and pay a sizeable a deposit.....costs a bloody fortune and you still dont own the bottle.

many independent outlets (but not all) will allow you to later go up a bottle size....6kg to 13kg...with no charge

you can get a refund later on your deposit on production of the ORIGINAL reciept and a bottle.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my local recycling centre (dump) can and do sell cylinders. have picked a few part full ones up over the years and used them on the BBQ at home. generally pay about £5 a cylinder. then sell the empties on gumtree or ebay (not so easy as collect only)

as for going with any non popular supplier the problem is that there are far fewer suppliers around to get a refill. i recall the last cylinder i had to rent from calor many years ago was near £30 deposit plus the gas. if you need 2 or more it becomes far more economical to fit a refillable cylinder. about £150 for the kit from gas-it which is far cheaper than the others for the same cylinders. autogas is easily available all round the UK and most of Europe unlike proprietary cylinders like calor

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Dont rush out for a 13kg cylinder, Chausson gas lockers are quite tight. An 11 kg cylinder is a squeeze.
Its the main reason we put a Gaslow system in the day we bought the van.

Terry49

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Lymm
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp

Also, we do not have a cylinder already, so do we have to buy / hire one of those?

Hi Martin.
We bought our first M.H. 2 years ago, had no idea what to go for and went for the 11Kg Gaslow Direct Fill, cost £150. It means we can fill the bottle at a garage supplying LPG and to-date have not had a problem re-gassing at UK/ French motorway services or independent garages. Pop up the gas locker door and fill-up. Bought a French and Spanish adaptor, the bottle comes with the UK adaptor already on. Just re-gassed here in Spain, the garage had a petrol pump attendant (haven't seen one of those in a while) and he even had a Spanish adaptor in his pocket. Tank was below half full, top up cost 6 euros. No hassle and no lugging bottles around. You can have the "Fill-up connector" fitted to the outside of the locker making it easier still. The Gaslow web page gives you all the information. Hope this helps. Terry

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
No cylinder

Most councils will GLADLY give you a cylinder that has been DUMPED.
They do not own and have no control over the cylinders.
It is actually illegal for them to keep hold of them.
They can NOT dispose of them and if did not give them away would end up contacting such as us (CALOR distributor) to collect them.
Our local tips gladly let the public take them.
Problem in the UK is with Flo Gas availability, no chance in say the Yorkshire Dales on a Saturday, CALOR YEs.
With no exchange cylinder the Cylinder Rental Agreement charge is £34.25, it is really a deposit, and you NEVER get it all back!
CALOR LITE cylinders in very short supply at the moment, you will find packets of chicken lips easier to source.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This thread has totally confused me!

I thought all the gas bottles were the same? I know there is difference between the LPG and the Butane bottles, and they have different regulators. But are all LPG bottles not the same? All butane the same?

And what's all this expensive deposit stuff?

I talked the garage I purchased my van from into leaving a bottle "lying arround that I could pick up as I was leaving" :winky: It was rather small and rather empty. Butane. So I took it to my local gas supplier and swapped it for a full 13KG tank - cost £27.50. I thought that was a good deal! No?

So what is the go? I thought I could just walk into a supplier and buy a bottle any time I wanted, and then just keep swapping it (Refill) as required? No?

There are lots of comments on here about having to spend £30 plus just on a deposit. Or buying a tank for a fiver off ebay. I understand you can put in systems to refill with autogas, but the underlying question has not been answered.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
So what is the go? I thought I could just walk into a supplier and buy a bottle any time I wanted, and then just keep swapping it (Refill) as required? No?

I can :roflmto: I have at least 3 dealers locally 2x caravan shops & my MH dealer a little bit further + a go outdoors

Calor exchange £20 New bottle full £50 :thumb:

No contracts...........

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

If you are planning to use it a lot, don't bother with Calor, but go straight for a refillable bottle. A lot more money to start with, but you can fill it cheaply at a petrol station even before it is empty, so you only need one, rather than two.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If you have an empty bottle to start off with, it will be cheaper when you go to swop it for a full one. But if you don't have one to start with, then you will be charged more as you're effectively paying extra because you don't have one to swop.

We carry 2 x 13 Kg bottles and have just replaced the last of our empty 6 Kgs bottles for a full 13 Kg bottle. There's just been a price increase, the new 13 Kg bottle cost me £27 on Friday.

Bill

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I have, on several occasions, taken an empty non calor bottle to the main calor depot and asked for a refill. I was told every time that they could not take my empty bottle, but would give me a calor bottle for no charge. So far I have got 4 bottles::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile: 2 for the mh and 2 for the bbq.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back