Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
Probably silly questions but start as you mean to go on:
- Is it correct to assume that it is ok to leave the gas on at all times, even when travelling, and that it only needs turning off at the tap when you're not using the MH for a while?
- Can the fridge be run (on gas) while travelling?

Apologies if these are really basic questions. I will try to find something more challenging in due course.

Regards,
Lee.

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well being relative newbies ourselves this is how we see it.

We run the fridge on the battery setting when travelling as we were under the impression that the gas cuts out anyway when moving, also battery power free :thumb:

We have fixed gas tanks which we are supposed to flick off when moving, its a switch next to the panel indoors so we should remember but we never do :Doh:

we only ever run the fridge on gas if we're not on hook up.

hope this helps ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Gas on during transit is a no-no!

No this is not on on safety grounds.

Fridge running on gas has a lit pilot light and therefore in an accident could ignite fuel or gas vapour to cause an explosion.

I expect it is or ought to be illegal!

Why can fridge not run on 12 volt system as battery is being charged by vehicle alternator?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sift

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks all. Fridge probably can run on 12v just didn't think about that. In fact it will probably auto select (with any luck).

Regards,
Lee.

Upvote 0

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Also a newbie, but here is my understanding.

Always turn off the gas at the bottle before travelling for safety reasons.

Switch the fridge to the 12volt setting while you travel, as it will be fed by the main battery which is kept topped up by the engine, so it does not cost you any power.

I was told that as soon as you stop and turn off the engine, the fridge will stop operating on the 12 volt system, in order to preserve your engine battery. This is when you can switch to 240 if you are hooked up, or turn on the gas and use that.

:thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I beleive most RVs fridges don't run on 12v and so are always run on gas when moving, so it's not a total nono. However best to run on 12v when moving, and a fridge running on gas would be a hazard when refuelling.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
One point worth making. I was not aware of this until we'd had the van a while. When not using the van, and therefore the fridge, for any period of time, the inside of the fridge would start to grow mildew, due to closed door + no refridgeration. Now aware that door catch has an 'ajar' setting to prevent this. It is not obvious but fiddle around a bit and you can close door catch into the 'slightly open' position.

Wyn

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sift

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you. I had to look up Secumotion. I do not have this installed (but now on the list) so I guess the safest option is to either turn the gas off while driving or (more likely) turn the fridge off while refuelling. Cue warm beer on arrival.

Cheers,
Lee.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You may know this already but run the fridge on gas for a few hours before driving in order to lower the temperature inside. The 12 volt system will only really 'maintain' the fridge temperature as it is.

:Smile:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I beleive most RVs fridges don't run on 12v and so are always run on gas when moving, so it's not a total nono. However best to run on 12v when moving, and a fridge running on gas would be a hazard when refuelling.

correct.... and agree

our RV fridge/freezer had no 12 v option..
Probably due to the physical size of the freezer.. they would need big wattage heaters using a lot of amps.. or maybe it's just to save cost..

When on driving in winter we also ran with the space heating running ...

There are lots of things that are considered dangerous, or you are 'not supposed to do' on the move ...
passengers using the toilet , making a sandwich.. and even going to bed for a kip.. leaving fridge on gas while on a ferry.. refueling etc .. we've done them all.. some deliberately.. others due to forgetfulness.. still hear to tell the tale..
I've even heard of a slow cooker being used on the move .. :winky:....

If you have a working 12v option use it.. and as said, cool the fridge down to operating temperature before the journey with either gas or 230v.. also have the fridge as full of food as possible..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Don't assume the 12v goes off automatically when you turn engine off, ours is a 2003 autosleeper symbol and unfortunately it does'nt as we found out to our cost when we forgot one time.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't assume the 12v goes off automatically when you turn engine off, ours is a 2003 autosleeper symbol and unfortunately it does'nt as we found out to our cost when we forgot one time.

The fridge 12v should not be on unless the engine is running... it should be fed via a relay, normally on the same relay that closes to charge the hab battery from the alternator..usually referred to as the 'split charge' relay..

Sounds like it is either faulty or hasn't been installed, which is very doubtful..

have you had it checked ?

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Scitjimlad, I will ask my local garage man when van goes in for its service, he will understand even though I don't. Electric is a bit of a mystery to me.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

Carolyn

I used to have this problem - the fridge would carry on running on 12v even when the engine was switched off. The leisure battery wasn't in the best of conditions when I bought the van last year and I managed to kill it off a couple of times too by forgetting to switch the fridge from 12v to gas.

I replaced that battery last year and not wanting to destroy it stopped using the fridge on 12v.

However - last week I finally solved the problem::bigsmile:

On the electroblok there is a space for a fuse for the fridge, but by this space is a great big warning triangle with an exclamation mark in it and the wording 'Fuse only with AES fridge'. Now, my fridge is not AES (which is auto source sensing) so I removed the fuse and voila! The fridge now runs as it should do and switches off from 12v when the engine stops.

I don't know how autosleepers are set up, but if it's a similar system it may be something as simple as a fuse that shouldn't be there, so it's worth checking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sift

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Congratulations on your choice of transport, the 250 MZ Racer!, top class :thumb:
Will be up your way, at Snetterton, tonight. Watching, not racing though.

Cheers,
Lee.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
correct.... and agree

our RV fridge/freezer had no 12 v option..
Probably due to the physical size of the freezer.. they would need big wattage heaters using a lot of amps.. or maybe it's just to save cost..

When on driving in winter we also ran with the space heating running ...

There are lots of things that are considered dangerous, or you are 'not supposed to do' on the move ...
passengers using the toilet , making a sandwich.. and even going to bed for a kip.. leaving fridge on gas while on a ferry.. refueling etc .. we've done them all.. some deliberately.. others due to forgetfulness.. still hear to tell the tale..
I've even heard of a slow cooker being used on the move .. :winky:....

If you have a working 12v option use it.. and as said, cool the fridge down to operating temperature before the journey with either gas or 230v.. also have the fridge as full of food as possible..

Like Jim we've done all the above and as ex RVers we always ran with the fridge on gas and the gas heating on in the winter in 3 RVs over 100'000 miles still here and never blew up ourselves or anything else. For the last 3 years we've owned a Hymer which thankfully had a Secumotion fitted so we still travel with fridge on gas and heating on its lovelly ::bigsmile: oh and we occasionally have the Remoska cooking as we go along.:winky:

Seriously though we do always turn the gas off as we enter fuel stations and never enter the pumps with gas on. :thumb:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
All three way fridges I have owned were not thermostatically controlled when on 12V so the cooling was overdone on a long journey.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back