x250 fuel filter...alternative fix (1 Viewer)

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Having had, for the third time, this Badly made plastic filter housing leak....a great RAC mechanic came up with a different solution. He sourced a new, sealed, metal filter meant for an MG ZF. Its a one piece metal canister....one in, one out pipe, and NO threads to come loose. Fitted it in 30 mins using some adapters and tubing. Absolutely superb, no leaks, permanent fix.....and he left the old filter in situ, with the electric connector in place....which stops any warning lights glowing. Brilliant....just driven nearly 200 miles to Peterborough show, no probs.
Will post pics and details later...total cost 30 quid :)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have watched these threads on fuel filters with interest, was at the van earlier changing air and polen filters and noted that my fuel filter is a sealed unit ( a wix WXWF8408 ) so can only assume FIAT made a change with all the probs that have been experienced. it aint cheap tho at around Ā£40. but at least it dont leak!!!:thumb:

famous last words! ...... why did i say that"! :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Having had, for the third time, this Badly made plastic filter housing leak....a great RAC mechanic came up with a different solution. He sourced a new, sealed, metal filter meant for an MG ZF. Its a one piece metal canister....one in, one out pipe, and NO threads to come loose. Fitted it in 30 mins using some adapters and tubing. Absolutely superb, no leaks, permanent fix.....and he left the old filter in situ, with the electric connector in place....which stops any warning lights glowing. Brilliant....just driven nearly 200 miles to Peterborough show, no probs.

Mine is fine at the moment changed filter myself and all ok(tempting fate:Doh:)But am very interested in a replacement/alternative so will look forward to photo and perhaps part number:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have watched these threads on fuel filters with interest, was at the van earlier changing air and polen filters and noted that my fuel filter is a sealed unit ( a wix WXWF8408 ) so can only assume FIAT made a change with all the probs that have been experienced. it aint cheap tho at around Ā£40. but at least it dont leak!!!:thumb:

famous last words! ...... why did i say that"! :Doh:

look at last filter on the page:thumb:

http://www.livingstonautoparts.co.uk/Service-Parts/Fuel-Filters/Fiat/Ducato/all/2.3/2014/Parts.aspx

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
If you manage to get some photos across i would be very interested to see just what the mechanic did in connecting it up.
thanks
bern

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am not trying to wee on any ones chips but the filter is designed to filter down to a certain level I would be worried that another filter other than the later spec one would not be fine enough for the system

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I think u will find that diesel fuel filters do as the name suggests and gets all the engine damaging particles out of the fuel but has to have sufficient throughput for the size of engine.
If there is an alternative to the poor offering that fiat fit without upsetting the electronics and I can find out how to fit it I would. Long time ago since warranty was an issue for me
Bern

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Best solution if you think you NEED a new filter is to replace the whole unit thus negating any requirement to dismantle it. Units can be bought for about Ā£100 complete.
I will have your old one if it's never been changed :winky:

Jun 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Mine is fine at the moment changed filter myself and all ok(tempting fate:Doh:)But am very interested in a replacement/alternative so will look forward to photo and perhaps part number:thumb:
Hello. a greeting to the group. I am an owner of an adria camper with x250 engine and today I have the same problem you indicated. For the third time, after driving hours in the hot sun, after turning off the engine and then restarting after a few minutes, I found diesel leaking from the filter. I ask you if it is possible to have some photos from someone who has replaced the filter holder with a metal model. Thank you

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The newer x290 Ducato that's appeared since this thread was started has a different design of fuel filter with a metal body. Maybe it's possible to retrofit a x290 filter into an x250?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I looked into trying to fit a different filter housing but in the end just bought an OEM spare one.
It's in the garage somewhere never needed it. Also bought the tool to properly torque the top back on after filter change and that must be in the garage as well.
Sold the x250 now have x290.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I carry a complete filter and housing which I bought from another Funster, just in case. Sods law says I'll never use it - the garage I use for service knows how to do the job properly so I let them just replace the filter.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Now you'll have the head gasket going as the engine will think it's a k series!šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back