Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As generators are a bit taboo, could some wise soul answer me a couple of questions please?

1. Does an inverter if fitted render all the sockets in your van suitable for 240 v or just one?

2.Where does the inverter go in the van? is it big or small?

3. if I was to boil a low wattage kettle off an inverter with enough water for say 3 cups of tea what sort of drain would that have on a standard leisure battery? Would it use up 10% or more?

Thanks.:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Answers to your questions in order.

1. It depends how you fit it. It is possible to arrange for an inverter to take over supply to the installed 230V sockets but that requires some complicated wiring with relays. Not a project for the casual amateur DIYer.
Otherwise run a dedicated 230V socket from the inverter.

2. As near to the supplying batteries as possible. It is important to keep the cable run between inverter and battery as short as possible to minimise voltage drop. The size of the unit varies with its power: large ones are physically bigger. Assume roughly 200mm x 150mm x 75mm for a medium-sized model.

3. Assuming an 800W kettle, it will draw 800/12 = 66.6 amps (then allow roughly 90% efficiency for the inverter) so that brings it to 75 amps. Run it for 5 minutes and it will draw 6.25 Ah from the batteries. In my view, it's not worth using an electric kettle this way - far simpler and more heat-efficient to use gas.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Answers to your questions in order.

1. It depends how you fit it. It is possible to arrange for an inverter to take over supply to the installed 230V sockets but that requires some complicated wiring with relays. Not a project for the casual amateur DIYer.
Otherwise run a dedicated 230V socket from the inverter.

2. As near to the supplying batteries as possible. It is important to keep the cable run between inverter and battery as short as possible to minimise voltage drop. The size of the unit varies with its power: large ones are physically bigger. Assume roughly 200mm x 150mm x 75mm for a medium-sized model.

3. Assuming an 800W kettle, it will draw 800/12 = 66.6 amps (then allow roughly 90% efficiency for the inverter) so that brings it to 75 amps. Run it for 5 minutes and it will draw 6.25 Ah from the batteries. In my view, it's not worth using an electric kettle this way - far simpler and more heat-efficient to use gas.

Thank you.

I should add that there is no prospect of me undertaking the project.

I love my family too much to put them at the sort of risk my skills would generate::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thank you.

I should add that there is no prospect of me undertaking the project.

[HI]I love my family too much to put them at the sort of risk my skills would generate[/HI]::bigsmile:

Don't you know a good lawyer for the court case then? :ROFLMAO:

I bought an inverter purely for charging electric bike batteries. We have no other need for mains power.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
3. if I was to boil a low wattage kettle

A gas tank is the finest way of storing heat, you'd need a battery the size of your van to match it.

BUT there is another argument, if you have masses of solar on offer, it's free so why not use it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Quite right. We use an inverter to run a kettle in the summer. By the time we've drunk the tea the solar has recharged the batteries.

Did you hear David Bowie electrocuted himself with some DIY electrics.

'The man who failed to earth':ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
My inverter runs all my 240 sockets. It does so by following technos guide and I managed it nearly by myself but with help from bungy

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we have 2 x 110 A batteries , 250 watts of solar panels , 1 x £50 1500 watts inverter,

We run :-
a small travel kettle ,
Washing machine,
Spin dryer,
Romoska,
Travel hair dryer,
Rice cooker,
Fan heater just on cold air blow, ( handy in Morocco )
Laptop / phone chargers ,

It is a case of being sensible with the battery use and solar power , and not putting all of them on at the same time :Smile:

we cook on the Romoska / Rice Cooker late afternoon to get max solar recharge .:Cool:

We only use EHU if we are forced to pay for it in campsite fees as it is something we do not need :Eeek:,

i don't need to put the van on electric at home anymore as the solar keeps all batteries charged , as I have also put a link cable between the leisure batteries and the Engine battery with a battery isolater switch so i can connect all 3 for solar charging and in emergency jump starting the engine , :thumb:

Out of interest we fitted a 12kg Moroccan bottle on the van on the 8th February and it is still working ,
That is 7 weeks in Morocco Spain and France and the Eden Camp weekend ,

Just the saving on paying electric on campsites will pay a lot towards recouping the cost of the solar panels,and using gas for the fridge is a lot cheaper than paying 6 Euros a night in Benidorm to run the fridge @

Bought one of these the other week , fitted and works great . it has soft start so i am able to use my Aldi High pressure Compressor as the start up current on it was too high for the 1500 watt unit ,

Broken Link Removed

Hope this helps ....

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have a Dometic inverter charger. It is a pure sine wave inverter, and although it will peak at 3500 watts, it is designed to run at 2000 watts. When it isn't inverting, it is a 100 amp multi stage charger.

It also has a power support function. If the site can supply say 10 amps (220 VAC) and we inadvertently draw 16 amps, rather than "trip" the trip, the unit recognises that there is a shortfall of 6 amps.

At this point it stops being a charger, and reverts back to inverting, supplying the "missing" 6 amps.

Once the additional 6 amp load (usually Lyn's hair dryer :winky:) is removed, the unit automatically reverts back to being a charger and replaces the power used to invert the missing amps.

The sockets are wired through the unit, and it automatically deals with the power distribution.

I have seven 130 Amp leisure batteries, 3 x 130 watt solar panels, 150 Amp battery to battery set up for on road charging and a built in Onan 6 Kva generator.

I still disagree that there is no place for generators. We went to a site for Easter with two other vans. On Easter Sunday is was pee'ing down with rain, and in the middle of a tent field we ran our generator and no one even noticed with the noise of the rain, and the various car and van engines being run to warm/dry people out that were camping.

I always do suggest though, that there is no place for a mains kettle in a motorhome and suggest that everyone buys a quick boil gas kettle.

I do know that loads of people use slow cookers on their inverters to arrive with a delicious meal ready for themselves when the arrive, which seems a great idea.

Eddie

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
What an impressive setup Eddie, but your power supply equipment and batteries would use up all (or more) of the payload of a lot of Funsters' vans :Eeek:

Only jealous of your wonderful RV - guess I'll just have to console myself with knowing my modest Hymer can fit into smaller spaces and I can still afford to fill the fuel tank (just). :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have a Dometic inverter charger. It is a pure sine wave inverter, and although it will peak at 3500 watts, it is designed to run at 2000 watts. When it isn't inverting, it is a 100 amp multi stage charger.

It also has a power support function. If the site can supply say 10 amps (220 VAC) and we inadvertently draw 16 amps, rather than "trip" the trip, the unit recognises that there is a shortfall of 6 amps.

At this point it stops being a charger, and reverts back to inverting, supplying the "missing" 6 amps.

Once the additional 6 amp load (usually Lyn's hair dryer :winky:) is removed, the unit automatically reverts back to being a charger and replaces the power used to invert the missing amps.

The sockets are wired through the unit, and it automatically deals with the power distribution.

I have seven 130 Amp leisure batteries, 3 x 130 watt solar panels, 150 Amp battery to battery set up for on road charging and a built in Onan 6 Kva generator.

I still disagree that there is no place for generators. We went to a site for Easter with two other vans. On Easter Sunday is was pee'ing down with rain, and in the middle of a tent field we ran our generator and no one even noticed with the noise of the rain, and the various car and van engines being run to warm/dry people out that were camping.

I always do suggest though, that there is no place for a mains kettle in a motorhome and suggest that everyone buys a quick boil gas kettle.

I do know that loads of people use slow cookers on their inverters to arrive with a delicious meal ready for themselves when the arrive, which seems a great idea.

Eddie
VERY IMPRESSIVE :thumb: Eddie that little lot probably cost more than my entire van :Smile: I have both leccy kettle and gas but what's a quick boil gas one ?
terry

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What an impressive setup Eddie, but your power supply equipment and batteries would use up all (or more) of the payload of a lot of Funsters' vans :Eeek:

Only jealous of your wonderful RV - guess I'll just have to console myself with knowing my modest Hymer can fit into smaller spaces and I can still afford to fill the fuel tank (just). :thumb:

Everything in life is a compromise lol. Mind you at £0.70 per litre LPG makes the 10 MPG :Eeek: a little more bearable :cry:

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
we have a 2/3.5kw unit that has an extension lead to the rear of the van and from the other output we fit the hook up lead.
only ever used for swmbo hair dryer and the slow cooker on aires..............and a 220v feed to the door handles:Eeek:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
we have a 2/3.5kw unit that has an extension lead to the rear of the van and from the other output we fit the hook up lead.
only ever used for swmbo hair dryer and the slow cooker on aires..............and a 220v feed to the door handles:Eeek:
So do you plug your incoming main straight into your inverter?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You would be better just putting your 13 amp sockets on the inverter. Plugging your EHU in, everything including your 220 VAC charger will be trying to take power from your inverter.

If you have a AES fridge, that will try to switch over, electric elements in water heaters, blown air all will try to run on AC from the inverter.

I can email you a simple diagram if that would help?:thumb:

Eddie

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Would disagree with Eddie about the kettle though. When we are travelling and it's hot, the cab aircon just about keeps temperature comfortable, but light a gas ring on a tea/coffee stop and the interior temperature soars. We use our low wattage kettle and no problem.:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
As generators are a bit taboo, could some wise soul answer me a couple of questions please?

1. Does an inverter if fitted render all the sockets in your van suitable for 240 v or just one?

3. if I was to boil a low wattage kettle off an inverter with enough water for say 3 cups of tea what sort of drain would that have on a standard leisure battery? Would it use up 10% or more?

1. Depends how you install it. It requires extra work, especially if you want them to swap automatically to the EHU when plugged in.

2. Depends on the size.

3. Don't bother. Is a gas whistling kettle that inconvenient?

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
1. Depends how you install it. It requires extra work, especially if you want them to swap automatically to the EHU when plugged in.

2. Depends on the size.

3. [HI]Don't bother. Is a gas whistling kettle that inconvenient?
[/HI]

Not at all, I was just using it as an example. Makes sense though if you are able to use solar as opposed to gas though surely?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

1. If you wire it that way
2. Inverters are not large but must be installed as close as possible to the batteries.
3 . A 1kw kettle will draw around 100amps for less than 10mins to boil, using less than 20 amp/hours. Not too much of a dent in a battery if it is being recharged from solar. With our 400w of solar it will recharge in less than an hour.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
[/HI]

Not at all, I was just using it as an example. Makes sense though if you are able to use solar as opposed to gas though surely?

As a more typical example, we use quite a lot of electronics (4 laptops, TV, etc.) and have LED lighting which we use liberally, including leaving the bathroom light on all night. This Easter we left the blown air heating on every night. We have a 180Ah battery and 200W of solar panels. We've never been below 12.3V unloaded.

However, we don't heat using electricity. Our habitation gas feeds off the same filler as the engine gas. In comparison to the usage of the engine, I've never even been able to detect our habitation gas usage and the loaded gas has always been in proportion to the distance driven, not the hab gas used. The gas required to heat a kettle is a tiny fraction of the cost of the tea bags.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
As a more typical example, we use quite a lot of electronics (4 laptops, TV, etc.) and have LED lighting which we use liberally, including leaving the bathroom light on all night. This Easter we left the blown air heating on every night. We have a 180Ah battery and 200W of solar panels. We've never been below 12.3V unloaded.

I forgot to mention, our 12V system is purely solar. The mains charger is broken and we never use EHU anyway. The engine battery charger is broken. As we've never been under 12.3V, we've never felt the need to fix any of it.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Would disagree with Eddie about the kettle though. When we are travelling and it's hot, the cab aircon just about keeps temperature comfortable, but light a gas ring on a tea/coffee stop and the interior temperature soars. We use our low wattage kettle and no problem.:thumb:

When it's that hot you should be drinking beer lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back