advice on gearboxs on motorhomes. (1 Viewer)

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
OK 78k miles on my m/home.
gearbox lost 5th gear totaly at weekend
also 2-3 grinds and 4-5 did grind now 5th lost,
anyway striped out box today took over to tranmission recon in FACTORY IN glsgow to refactory,
#Advice free from these guys,
I asked is this normal and do u get a lot of m/
home gearboxs for repair.
he states yes more than vans or trucks in proportion to how many motorhomes are on the road?
problem is that motorhomes can sit for weeks at a time that being that the oil sits dormant in bottom of box this can start to stiffin up all or most parts on the gears when we go to use the box when driving 5th gear especialy gets used less and only gets a small part of oil dispersed from other gears this can cause bearings and small parts to dry or seize,
once serviced and repaired always top up with semi synthetic oil every 15-20k change completly never allow to stand for more than 2-3 weeks never more . if this is the case always warm up engine and move carfully round all gears incl 5th . the shame is from his mouth is some motorhomes get used less that 2k a year meaning thats a lot of standing time,, make sure water cant sit on or around gearbox and seals are bolts are checked with services, top gear oil and condition as often as possible, oil is cheep and i can tell you a gearbox refurb and time is not..
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi, May be Talking boll***s here, but I understood that fiat's suffer with 5th gear failure or jumping out of 5th gear and can be replaced by removing cover from near the N/side front wheel, but as other gears grinding then synchromesh gone by sounds of it so need box right out to fix. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, May be Talking boll***s here, but I understood that fiat's suffer with 5th gear failure or jumping out of 5th gear and can be replaced by removing cover from near the N/side front wheel, but as other gears grinding then synchromesh gone by sounds of it so need box right out to fix. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

No Garry, you are not talking boll***s :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A factor between vans and motorhomes is the latter are more or less run close to GVW all the time. This must mean MH gearboxes are more highly stressed.

I am not sure how lack of use could shorten a transmission's life. Easy to understand how this happens on an engine (corrosion) but a sealed gearbox?

Depending on the year the 5th gear problem is well known and if left 'untreated' other problems will manifest.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back