Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Montrose, who's heard of the place, well we've broken down here, travelled all the way back from Portugal then all the way north to break down in Montrose, the back of beyond, something about diesel filter spewing out fuel, now in garage waiting until tomorrow for new seals, oh well could be worse, could be stuck in the highlands miles from anywhere.
( I'm sure Montrose is a lovely place really)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The great thing about breaking down in a MH is that it is really just another (unplanned) stopover.:Smile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well Montrose I think it was grab a granny in the stanchion hotel many years ago :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hope you get sorted soon Ray, we had 2 people breakdown on the way down to Spain with the same problem. :Doh:

Still as long as you have water, and some food its not so bad. ::bigsmile: Bob.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thank you for the warning. I am going to Johnshaven a little north of Montrose in June. It may be some sort of Bermuda triangle effect - so will give Montrose a wide berth.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Thank you for the warning. I am going to Johnshaven a little north of Montrose in June. It may be some sort of Bermuda triangle effect - so will give Montrose a wide berth.

I thought from your posts you were a closet twitcher and keen on photography and if so you are going to miss out on birdlife heaven and when the tide is in Montrose basin (when you get there or google maps it you will know what I mean) is very photogenic. I know St Cyrus, Johnshaven, in fact I was brought up in Laurencekirk just over the hill from there so if you want some must visit spots around there, give me a call.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I thought from your posts you were a closet twitcher and keen on photography and if so you are going to miss out on birdlife heaven and when the tide is in Montrose basin (when you get there or google maps it you will know what I mean) is very photogenic. I know St Cyrus, Johnshaven, in fact I was brought up in Laurencekirk just over the hill from there so if you want some must visit spots around there, give me a call.

Many thanks, we are only there for a couple of nights, Murvi Club meeting, but I am looking forward to the trip as the east coast of Scotland is a mystery to me. After Johnshaven we are going to Cruden Bay then Portsoy. Will also try and get to Chanory Point opposite Inverness for the dolphins - having checked the tide times for the best time to go.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just sit back and relax Ray and by the way did you get your air suspension fitted and if so what is your verdict

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Montrose, who's heard of the place, well we've broken down here, travelled all the way back from Portugal then all the way north to break down in Montrose, the back of beyond, [HI]something about diesel filte[/HI]r spewing out fuel, now in garage waiting until tomorrow for new seals, oh well could be worse, could be stuck in the highlands miles from anywhere.

That happened to me on the way to Spain a few years ago. I presume it's a Fiat problem, but it's really poor.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
The dreaded Fiat non existant fuel filter problem strikes again!!
But Fiat reckon it's not happening.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It could be worse. Montrose is a lovely place.

A good way to see dolphins in that area is to catch the early morning Nigg Ferry, you may see them hunting in the bay.

I've also seen a lot of dolphins when crossing from Skye to Tarbet with CalMac, the ferry slows down for them.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The dreaded Fiat non existant fuel filter problem strikes again!!
But Fiat reckon it's not happening.

Is it still a problem with the X250( or whatever the new engine is called)?

I thought I read somewhere that plastic filters had been replaced by metal ones but I could be imagining it.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It is ! great golf course, good chippies, Glorious sandy beach if you are man enough to get your string vest off. :roflmto:

[HI]And it is in Gods country !!![/HI] :thumb:

NB... Montrose is NOT in Yorkshire...

Monman

Free Member
Dec 14, 2012
france & wales
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 1998
dolphins and seals are protected.Tell that garage to stop using seals immediately or I'll report them!:ROFLMAO:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Nothing wrong with the Montrose area, Johnshaven, St Cyrus beach, Lunan Bay and not forgetting Steptoes yard if it's still there for anyone who likes to rummage around thousands of antiques, collectables and rubbish.

OP
OP
Rayb182

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Well new fuel fitted, so off we drive from Montrose, nice place really, nice walks for Suki, booked a campsite at Tarland, at around 20 miles up the road strange sound coming from bonnet, thought it must be something to do with all that diesel all over the place, steadylie getting worse now, by the time we got to campsite, really knocking now, when I excelarate
or brake it seems to diminish a bit, any ideas.:cry:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Well new fuel fitted, so off we drive from Montrose, nice place really, nice walks for Suki, booked a campsite at Tarland, at around 20 miles up the road strange sound coming from bonnet, thought it must be something to do with all that diesel all over the place, steadylie getting worse now, by the time we got to campsite, really knocking now, when I excelarate
or brake it seems to diminish a bit, any ideas.:cry:

check for mechanic left under bonnet:ROFLMAO: Sorry could not resist it maybe they have not pushed filter housing into the mounting correctly?

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The dreaded leaking fuel filter housing strikes again!

Glad you got the fuel filter sorted, we had only just got the Dakota (X250) two days and were heading north up the A1 and I thought the fuel gauge was dropping rather alarmingly:Eeek:
We pulled into services and had a look, diesel was spewing out around the seal. We called the AA and they sent out a local mechanic, he tried to fix it but didn't have the correct tool to release it. It was the August bank holiday which didn't help.
Eventually we called the dealer we bought the van from and they sent up their own mechanic to fix it for us, all the way from Awsworth near Nottingham to Lower Wensleydale.
Everybody we've spoken to said it's a very common problem.

Bill

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The dreaded leaking fuel filter housing strikes again!

Glad you got the fuel filter sorted, we had only just got the Dakota (X250) two days and were heading north up the A1 and I thought the fuel gauge was dropping rather alarmingly:Eeek:
We pulled into services and had a look, diesel was spewing out around the seal. We called the AA and they sent out a local mechanic, he tried to fix it but didn't have the correct tool to release it. It was the August bank holiday which didn't help.
Eventually we called the dealer we bought the van from and they sent up their own mechanic to fix it for us, all the way from Awsworth near Nottingham to Lower Wensleydale.
Everybody we've spoken to said it's a very common problem.

Bill

So it still affects the later models?

That's a real concern for me.

So real, that I might not have bought a Fiat based van had I realised.

That sort of thing can ruin a holiday:Sad:

OP
OP
Rayb182

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Good news, good news, we're back on the road again, we're were in Tarland C&CC site and I called AA out, drove it up the road he confirmed what I thought, wheel bearings, so onto the back of the recovery truck taken down to Huntley, Mechanic lifts the wheel off the ground to find..........................................road wheel nuts LOOSE with one stud completely missing.
The guy took the wheel off, haven't damaged it and replaced wheel with the 4 studs, have to buy a new stud, so all ended well, onwards north. :Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Good news Ray, Jane said that :RollEyes: but i never take any notice of what she says. :roflmto:

:winky: That's what happens when you sit about all winter. :ROFLMAO:

Safe trip. :thumb: Bob and Jane.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Montrose, who's heard of the place,
<snip>
I'm sure it is too, but like you, my memories of the place are not favourable. It must be 20 years ago now, but I still remember it as the place where I had just about the worst meal of my life - and I speak as one who suffered an English boarding school.

Think of all the stereotypical jokes about Scottish cooking rolled into one, then make a mess of cooking it & you have about got it. If the meal had included the mythical deep fried Mars bar, it would have been a great improvement.

I won't name the hotel, because by now it must either be much improved, or will have gone out of business years ago.

Sadly, it was a fleeting overnight visit on a cold damp night, so I only saw the hotel & the railway station, so the town never had a chance to redeem itself. I suppose I ought to go & have a proper look sometime to see what it's really like.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I'm sure it is too, but like you, my memories of the place are not favourable. It must be 20 years ago now, but I still remember it as the place where I had just about the worst meal of my life - and I speak as one who suffered an English boarding school.

Think of all the stereotypical jokes about Scottish cooking rolled into one, then make a mess of cooking it & you have about got it. If the meal had included the mythical deep fried Mars bar, it would have been a great improvement.

I won't name the hotel, because by now it must either be much improved, or will have gone out of business years ago.

Sadly, it was a fleeting overnight visit on a cold damp night, so I only saw the hotel & the railway station, so the town never had a chance to redeem itself. I suppose I ought to go & have a proper look sometime to see what it's really like.

Go on name the hotel. The deep fried mars bar is no myth. Just up the coast in Stonehaven you get it at the chippie.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
So it still affects the later models?

That's a real concern for me.

So real, that I might not have bought a Fiat based van had I realised.

That sort of thing can ruin a holiday:Sad:

Ours is a 2008 model, but only just having bought the van it was a major worry for us driving home. However, after the first AA mechanic failed to sort it properly, Oaktree sent their mechanic up to Yorkshire to sort us.

The next day as we left the CC site at Lower Wensleydale the engine management system light came on, this made us pull over and wonder what next?:whatthe: We found out that the first mechanic from the AA had loosened a nut in one of the jets and let air into the system. Thankfully, we were advised that it should work through and clear, which it did and we've had no problem with it since. As we were driving north up the A1 we thought, crikey, this thing is heavy on the fuel before we realised what the problem was:Eeek:

Bill

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Many thanks, we are only there for a couple of nights, Murvi Club meeting, but I am looking forward to the trip as the east coast of Scotland is a mystery to me. After Johnshaven we are going to Cruden Bay then Portsoy. Will also try and get to Chanory Point opposite Inverness for the dolphins - having checked the tide times for the best time to go.

Portsoy is nice just about 45mins from my house

Parked up at the CCC site at Rosemarie at the moment (70mins from home) overlooking the bay and dolphins swam past this afternoon not far from the beach (didn't have camera with me) 5 min walk from Chanory Point. Basic site but great location but best to book as almost full this weekend and was full last weekend
There is also a private site at Fortrose maybe 10mi walk
Parking at the point is not great for a motorhome !!! Unless its a small one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back