Sat nav....again (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So our lovely 5 year old Tom Tom has served us well, even with no map updates. However this year in France there were a heck of a lot of new roads and poor old Tom got very confused. Do I pay for an update or go for a newer model? I like the idea of the caravan/ motorhome one...any thoughts peeps? Thanks in advance ::bigsmile:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Download tom tom software & update yours for starters.

New tom toms now benefit from free lifetime map updates & traffic that would be my preffered option.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Tom Tom 825 wouldn't leave home without it:thumb: or the wife with the 2014 Road Atlas:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just got back from Somerset. Left the TomTom at home and used Co-Pilot on a Galaxy Tab 3 (8in). Hard to fault it - accurate mapping, "RV Mode", and all the extras you'd find on a TomTom, but at a lower price tag.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
We run a Garmin Camper 760 backed up by Autoroute. We have thousands and thousands of POIs which are format compatible (.csv) with both, freely collected from the internet. And the Garmin has voice recognition for destination changes on the move. One woman who does listen to me.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I just spent 50 quid updating my 6 or 7 year old Tomtom with the full Western Europe map. To be honest I am wondering if I should not have upgraded. It is a small screen, and it did go wrong the other day. Had to turn it of and on again on the move as it showed me driving through a field - the road I was on was not new!! A reset and it figured out where it was again.

I think something which knew about how wide and windy the roads are and could plan a route accordingly would be a god send!

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I have a Garmin with Life Time map updates and have the very latest update (February). Having just spent the last 7 weeks touring around Spain and France I can tell you that even the very latest update is out of date....:ROFLMAO:

It depends on when the company (Navteq!!) who make the mapping software for the updates release them to the GPS manufacturer. So in theory they are never up to date:Eeek:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Co pilot app in a phone--
The maps are installed on the phone ,so no data needed on the move.

I also discovered ,if I look at a old picture that I took on my phone ,Co-pilot offers to take me to spot where it was taken :Eeek:

It`s always up to date, I don`t bother looking at the screen on the move , just listen to the voice ordering me what to do.
Use it on my bike too, phone in my pocket and bluetoothed to my helmet.:thumb:
If I use Archies camping guide app on the phone as well ,Copilot will take me there as well.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I see no one has mentioned these yet:

Broken Link Removed

I have to say I'm very pleased with ours and many, many other funsters have posted how impressed they have been with them.

Wyn

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I like the satnav that is built into the car (even if it is out of date and I'm too mean to upgrade the disc) but when we get the van a satnav will be handy although I do like maps - a lot - and have a collection of old and new maps. Like books they are difficult to throw away.

I've read (on this forum) of apps that act like trackers and wonder if it would be a good idea to get a cheap tablet to run both / either the satnav (copilot or similar) and a GPS locator.

Do other funsters do this and what are the advantages / disadvantages? Would it be better to get a separate tracker? Is there a cost to running the apps? As you can tell tablets / smart phones and apps are all foreign territory to me and at present are labelled "Here be monsters". :ROFLMAO:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
CoPilot looks good with useful truck setting but does anyone know if the price includes updates? Also can it be installed on multiple items or just one? If we upgrade phone or tablet would we have to buy another copy of CoPilot? Looked at their website but couldn't find answers.

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can recommend Tom Tom camper caravan sat nav has car mode about £300 worth every penny.
Free maps for life and free live for 12 months.
You can get the cheaper ones but they are not as good bit a 5 point turn in a country lane never again!
Jim

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
The Chinese satnavs mentioned earlier are actually 7in. tablets with navigation (plus other) software installed.

Wyn
I like the satnav that is built into the car (even if it is out of date and I'm too mean to upgrade the disc) but when we get the van a satnav will be handy although I do like maps - a lot - and have a collection of old and new maps. Like books they are difficult to throw away.

I've read (on this forum) of apps that act like trackers and wonder if it would be a good idea to get a cheap tablet to run both / either the satnav (copilot or similar) and a GPS locator.

Do other funsters do this and what are the advantages / disadvantages? Would it be better to get a separate tracker? Is there a cost to running the apps? As you can tell tablets / smart phones and apps are all foreign territory to me and at present are labelled "Here be monsters". :ROFLMAO:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The Chinese satnavs mentioned earlier are actually 7in. tablets with navigation (plus other) software installed.

Wyn

Once I get my new credit card* I'll be ordering one. If it lasts a couple of years (the guarantee period) I'll have had value from it.

*card was compromised so I'm waiting for the new one.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
CoPilot looks good with useful truck setting but does anyone know if the price includes updates? Also can it be installed on multiple items or just one? If we upgrade phone or tablet would we have to buy another copy of CoPilot? Looked at their website but couldn't find answers.
Go into settings on co-pilot and it asks --send to cloud-- click yes.

That saves your settings and passwords ,so on a new or different phone it load up your settings

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Yes, it includes updates.
Yes, it can be installed on multiple devices. I have it on my Galaxy Tab 3, and Galaxy Note 3 :thumb:

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
Yes, it includes updates.
Yes, it can be installed on multiple devices. I have it on my Galaxy Tab 3, and Galaxy Note 3 :thumb:
From what I see on the Co-Pilot website, the premium version requires an annual subscription. So it may provide free updates but you'll still be paying every year to maintain it.

Cheers,
Lee.

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
In preparation for our first trip abroad we've just bought a Snooper sat nav into which you can enter your outfit details. It comes with free lifetime map updates (and so it should - it's horribly expensive - but then taking the luton off on a low bridge would be expensive not to mention inconvenient :cry:). Only used in UK so far but, other than a faulty charging lead which was replaced immediately, it does what it says on the tin.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Snooper Sat Nav

I have also recently bought a Snooper ready for an overseas trip.

In a test run recently to the Malvern show it was surprisingly low volume such that my wife and I were straining to hear what was being said. Volume was confirmed to be at the MAX. The unit was mounted where the rear view mirror would normally be so at the closest point to both of us and we have no hearing problems ordinarily.

I am now about to test it with an FM transmitter to see if I can amplify the volume and play it through the radio/entertainment system speakers as a way of upping the volume!

What does anyone else think of the Snooper volume? Ours is the 8000 version.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
From what I see on the Co-Pilot website, the premium version requires an annual subscription. So it may provide free updates but you'll still be paying every year to maintain it.

Cheers,
Lee.

I believe it's just Speed Camera and ActiveTraffic add-ons that are on annual subscription. If memory serves me right, they are about £6-7 each per year.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Hi all in France my sat nav is frozen it thinks it's in Goole Yorkshire?
turned it of and also back on nothing, took the card out , still the same.
put new desternation in still same says sat turned off?
not sure what sort it is its fitted to a 2013 Autotrail.
I think I have seen on one of the forums about these.

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
I have also recently bought a Snooper ready for an overseas trip.

In a test run recently to the Malvern show it was surprisingly low volume such that my wife and I were straining to hear what was being said. Volume was confirmed to be at the MAX. The unit was mounted where the rear view mirror would normally be so at the closest point to both of us and we have no hearing problems ordinarily.

I am now about to test it with an FM transmitter to see if I can amplify the volume and play it through the radio/entertainment system speakers as a way of upping the volume!

What does anyone else think of the Snooper volume? Ours is the 8000 version.

Ours is the 8500 which is the same as yours but with the digital radio. Using it before all the various functions were set up gave disappointing volume; however, it has since been set up so that the Snooper radio plays through the vehicle radio speakers & volume control & it works well. We haven't been anywhere using the sat nav part since linking to the radio speakers, so don't know yet if that has improved but we're hopeful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back