Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just changed my gas bottle (propane) on my mh. Everything was working fine before. Now enough gas comes through to ignite the gas hob but then it goes out. No luck lighting the oven. I've disconnected the bottle and tried it on our gas BBQ and it works fine. Any ideas?:Eeek:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

I apologise in advance if I am suggesting something that is so obvious.

We have just changed from tugging to motorhoming and, like you I tried to get the gas to work and couldn't.
It was at this point that I noticed that the Reg is different to the one we had in the caravan. It requires that you push a knob/button for five secs. to get the gas flow going. I note that you have a German 'van as do we. Just a thought.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If the regulator is a different one on the M/home to the bar-b-q.. I would try changing regulators first.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Have you checked the "new" bottle is full and you have'nt been given an almost empty one ..... otherwise I agree with the others that it must be the regulator.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Don't know if this will work, but if i change the bottles on my 5er, and open the valve quickly, not enough gas comes through, and works as you describe. If i open the valve very slowly, no problems. Could be worth a try.

Craig

OP
OP
D

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
Could there be a blockage or condensation in the regulator/pipe? If so, is there any option other than to call an 'expert' out?

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Dai, have you removed the pipe from the bottle to check for any obstructions in the bottle valve?

I had a bottle where a 'bit' of the screw in plug was lodged in the outlet, the bit wasn't off the new plug as that was complete but the bit was enough to stop the full insertion of connecting pipe to the bottle valve.

I saw it at the bottom of the valve when I removed the pipe and gave a blow and out it flew - just a suggestion.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Another point... how old is your gas pipe.. ?

Wriggling it around if it`s old may have dislodged the inner part... and a bit of plastic/rubber come adrift and restricting the flow up through the pipe..

The pipe should be date stamped for when it should be changed.. :Smile:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Again,

Can I ask you grizzled vet. motorhomers out there.
As I've said, we 'found' a button to press on our 'van and we didn't have that button on the caravan.
Is it normal to have that button or is it motorhome manufacturer specific?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Do you have a Truma Secumotion regulator? I.e. one that allows the gas to be used whilst travelling. If so, it has a green button that has to be pushed in order to set the gas running.
Earlier, static use only, regulators did not need this feature since the gas supply valves are supposed to be switched off before travelling.

I found the answer on the Truma website - it should be described in your instructions.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Yes no doubt it's the button, had the same on my Hobby when I first got it and had to learn the hard way

OP
OP
D

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don't know of this button. It worked last week before I changed the bottle. I've actually put the original bottle back on as there is some gas left in it. Still the same problem. You can ignite the hob, it stays very low for a while then goes out. Looks like a BBQ in the rain for dinner tonight :cry:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The comment about the button may not be relevant to you. It was in reply to a question by emmitdb who wanted to know why there was a button on his new regulator but not on an earlier one. If your van does not have a newer Truma Secumotion regulator, this is not relevant. The green button can be seen in this picture:
Link Removed

The symptoms you describe are unlikely to be related to the green button - that is either on or off. Your symptoms sound like a failing regulator. If you have a Truma they are known to fail due to gummy residue forming inside.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
from your description of changing the bottle twice and both times having a small amount of gas then nothing, the regulator has failed by the sound of it. very common with truma regulators

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Don't know of this button. It worked last week before I changed the bottle. I've actually put the original bottle back on as there is some gas left in it. Still the same problem. You can ignite the hob, it stays very low for a while then goes out. Looks like a BBQ in the rain for dinner tonight :cry:

Had a similar prob when we got this van, it has a button(but not green)under the outlet side of the regulator.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
Organplayer

Had a Truma Secumotion which failed in exactly the same circumstances as stated. I had read on this site of these Truama things going wrong and carried a Cleese regulator in the van as spare, in case. Glad that I did. I was able to get the Cleese installed at a caravan workshop quickly. I understand Truma have a new attachment on the market which is fitted below the regulator to catch the oily stuff that gums it up. Ha Ha. Go for a Cleese as others on here have.

OP
OP
D

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sounds like the only option is to look for a caravan/motorhome workshop in the Tenby area :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back