Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
got a cheapo recently, works in car but not van ... still figuring why however,
can you get reduced premiums on insurance and if so which companies?

will probably pay more than £20:cry: for a decent one for van soon.

Cheers
2dogs

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Beware of chasing discounts for an on board camera - if you declare a camera and claim a discount you will be required to provide the footage in the event of any claim and if its a debateable situation you could easily come of worst. If you fail to supply the footage then you will be in breach of your contract with the insurers and they would then have reason to cancel your insurance. Then you will have trouble getting reinsured. They would also require you to have a good quality camera which not only videos the road ahead but also have GPS locator which links to Google earth and also has a speed track on it etc. - something like Roadhawk. Not a cheapy one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
There is a free app on Google play if you have a smartphone, i use it daily, its as goosd as if not better than some of the 80/90 dash cams for sale, I put in a 16gb SD card.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
got a £15 one off fleabay, works fine and is just 'peace of mind' rather than for a discount (cos i is an ace driver like)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
There is a free app on Google play if you have a smartphone, i use it daily, its as goosd as if not better than some of the 80/90 dash cams for sale, I put in a 16gb SD card.

A link would be handy, please.:thumb:

There are so many!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Thanks, but won't work for me in the car and may not on the motorhome. I use a dashmount for my phone on both - definitely won't work on the car - picture of windscreen column only! May work on motorhome, but not sure. Also I have a Nexus 5 phone which does not have an external SD slot.

I can pick up a little camera for about £13 delivered on fleabay which should work on both and at the moment I have a 32GB micro SD card doing nothing (bought it when I thought I was going to buy a different phone!). Just want to know if they are any good or not - seems remarkably cheap. Not worried about GPS or getting insurance discount. But it would have been useful last autumn when a friendly French bus decided he wanted to be in my lane and clipped my wing mirror. Fortunately only broke the indicator glass not the whole mirror

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In a nutshell No! That's what my insurance company told me
Also, there not admissible in a court of law according to Roadhawk
. Still, it would be hard to dispute if you have footage showing location,time,date and other person at fault in HD film.
I have the Roadhawk but never download any of the footage, but it's always on just in case.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
In a nutshell No! That's what my insurance company told me
Also, there not admissible in a court of law according to Roadhawk
. Still, it would be hard to dispute if you have footage showing location,time,date and other person at fault in HD film.
I have the Roadhawk but never download any of the footage, but it's always on just in case.

Some insurance companies will - not all - always useful info to have - I did read of a couple who were abroad and involved in an accident which was quite serious for the other party an were close to being arrested over it when they showed the footage on their dash cam which proved they were in the right and were not speeding and the problem was with the other party and they were allowed to continue and not held to blame at all. not certain where I read this may have been on here even.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Broken Link Removed is the one I went for. Bought one last year which is now permanently in the car and bought another for the van in January.

It has a GPS locator which links to Google Earth at a fraction of the price of a Roadhawk - and the mount it sits in can be either way up so it is truly a dash camera and not just a windscreen mount camera.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I recently bought this one:
Broken Link Removed
does everything it claims to, been using it today racing and the video footage is pretty good. Can't post any from here as I'm in a field on a hill using my phone for connection. Will link to some youtube footage from it later in week.

D.

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks all for the replies,
I do realise the issue of full compliance for insurance purposes if they would cover you, just wondered out of interest.

must admit after listening to myself on one drive to work, I would be done for bad singing, moaning at tourists::bigsmile: and shouting at animals on the road.

Peterc10 this is the one I got bidding:
Broken Link Removed

Cheers
2dogs

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
Broken Link Removed is what i bought and does a reasonable job, providing you put a C10 card into it.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I personally wouldn't bother trying to chase a discount from my insurer unless you have proof of figment by certified company & can prove that it is fully automatic in self powering & capturing footage by use of its knock sensors, they may even want the auto upload feature s as well.

I use my GoPro for Kayaking & as a dash cam in the truck, car & MH

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
web site

Have a look at www.techmoan.com he explains what to look for and reviews a few and I like the DR32.
WHICH mag is reviewing dash cams in the August edition so that should be interesting:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back