Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
hi everyone.i am just thinking to buy a fully automatic sat system for my rv can anyone recomend a system and a supplier,i have only got cable system [virgin] so i dont have a gizmo box ither.any veiws would be most welcome.thanks muz

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi Muz

Recommending a system is quite difficult as there are quite a few on the market with not a lot of difference between them, obviously you have your skoda's and your BMW's, the most popular are: Oyster, Alden, Teleco, Katheriene, and domes Camos and KVH.

There are two main types elevating dishes or domes, so you are at the start of some decision making.

Personally I would go for a dish with good build quality coupled with a free to air satellite reciever which will give you a good selection of stations (not c5 at the moment) plus you can watch stations on different satellites.

Where do you plan to travel with your van? if you are an avid tv watcher and plan to use it a lot it may pay to go for a dome type which is uneffected by very bad weather.

let us know how you get on

nick

OP
OP
M

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
sat system

thanks for the info nick,we plan to go to spain in the winter to get away from the cold as the cold realy gets to me,but that depends on my health in the first place.we tend to watch alot of tele as i am disabled.i think i will try to ask people when i see others on site.thanks muz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
hi everyone.i am just thinking to buy a fully automatic sat system for my rv can anyone recomend a system and a supplier,i have only got cable system [virgin] so i dont have a gizmo box ither.any veiws would be most welcome.thanks muz

I am thinking about a fully automatic Oyster with the two LNG'S. There expensive but I reckon they will give me everyting that I will ever need from a telly.

As far as having it fitted is concerned there are lots of people about and maybe a lot depends upon where you live.

Midland in Coventry seem to be a reputable company. There is one who adverstises heavily that I wouldnt touch with a barge pole. I dont want to slag companies off in an open forum but if you pm me I will tell you who they are and why I woudnt deal with them.

Jim :thumb:

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
A twin lnb will allow you to use the functions of sky plus or simular, or to run two seperate satellite recievers, it does not give you any more stations so unless you want to watch two different stations or record one and watch another it is not worth the extra money, a satellite system with autoskew does give you a more favourable chance of recieving stations in weaker reception areas as the system will alter the skew as well as locate the satellite .

For spain you will want an 85cm dish and then it is most likely you will not recieve bbc or itv, a free to air reciever will give you the best choice from different satellites.

nick

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
A twin lnb will allow you to use the functions of sky plus or simular, or to run two seperate satellite recievers, it does not give you any more stations so unless you want to watch two different stations or record one and watch another it is not worth the extra money, a satellite system with autoskew does give you a more favourable chance of recieving stations in weaker reception areas as the system will alter the skew as well as locate the satellite .

For spain you will want an 85cm dish and then it is most likely you will not recieve bbc or itv, a free to air reciever will give you the best choice from different satellites.

nick

Hi Nick.... It was the benefit of being able to record that I was thinking of. As you say its an expensive extra and so it all comes down to how much value you put in being able to record a programme.

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hi Nick.... It was the benefit of being able to record that I was thinking of. As you say its an expensive extra and so it all comes down to how much value you put in being able to record a programme.

if you have a sky subscription, and a basic receiver, get an upgrade to a sky+ box, as all the recording functions are included in a sky subscription price.

of wait until nearer xmas when they launch the Freesat PVRs....allowing you to have all the functions of a sky+ box with no subscription - but only for freetoair channels......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back