Hopscotch cal-mac ferries (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Yes, did it a few years ago and it was great fun. You will need to plan ahead for some crossings but, on the whole, it was relatively easy.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
"Thinking of doing the islands around gods country."
Didn't know CalMac operated in England:RollEyes:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
"Thinking of doing the islands around gods country."
Didn't know CalMac operated in England:RollEyes:

Depends which God you are on about.........

That might stir things up.

This post is not meant to offend or upset but to stir things up ( for a bit of banter). If you feel offended I suggest you complain to your God and they will strike me down. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we love the western isles and have been a few times, I keep looking at the hop scotch but find it too restrictive and no significant price incentive

The Oban to South Uist crossing is quite long, no issues on a nice day!! so in the Stornoway to Ullapool return

It depends a lot on where you are approaching from and then going to next, the run back from Ullapool to Inverness is nice and easy

We last used Skye (Uig) to Harris (Tarbert) then down to Berneray the all road and causeway to South Uist, back up to Harris / Skye, we have not gone down on to Barra but that will be next I think, although we want to go to Islay

It is a really good place to get to, we chose sites mainly but stopped a few nights (wild) layby / roadside. Sites are a bit pricey but have really come on over the last 10 years we have been going.

Watch out for grounding your rear end boarding, we had a couple of scrapes, but were never rushed, expect to be held till last coming off, let cars and locals go first, suited me well

Mar 26, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
a few years back we done :

oban - barra

barra - eriskay

berneray - leverburgh

stornoway - ullapool

can't remember how much it cost but it was a fantastic trip with stunning beaches and scenery.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
we love the western isles and have been a few times, I keep looking at the hop scotch but find it too restrictive and no significant price incentive

The Oban to South Uist crossing is quite long, no issues on a nice day!! so in the Stornoway to Ullapool return

It depends a lot on where you are approaching from and then going to next, the run back from Ullapool to Inverness is nice and easy

We last used Skye (Uig) to Harris (Tarbert) then down to Berneray the all road and causeway to South Uist, back up to Harris / Skye, we have not gone down on to Barra but that will be next I think, although we want to go to Islay

It is a really good place to get to, we chose sites mainly but stopped a few nights (wild) layby / roadside. Sites are a bit pricey but have really come on over the last 10 years we have been going.

Watch out for grounding your rear end boarding, we had a couple of scrapes, but were never rushed, expect to be held till last coming off, let cars and locals go first, suited me well

We went Easter '12. Like David, we deliberately didn't buy a Hopscotch ticket - just singles as we went along. As he says, it costs very little more (in fact, in our case it saved us money) and gives you absolute flexibility to go as you please, depending on how you're feeling or the weather etc.

We went Skye (Uig) to Harris (Tarbert) then Berneray, North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist, Eriskay, Barra and Vatersay. We returned from Barra (Castle Bay) back to Oban.

We used the (free) bridge rather than the ferry (which would have been included in the Hopscotch ticket), to get from the mainland on to Skye.

Had a great time. And once you've bought your first ferry ticket, CalMac keep all your details on the system so you only need to give your name to buy each successive ticket - sometimes on board and sometimes at a booking office. All dead easy - found the company staff really friendly and helpful. :thumb:

Have a great time

Mike

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did it 4 years ago started with Oban to Barra then worked our way North before ending in Skye, I'd highly recommend it great place fore kids.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We went to the Western Isles last year. I wouldn't buy a Hopscotch. As others have said there isn't a great price advantage and we also saved money by choosing our own crossings. We just phoned up a few days in advance and booked the next crossing when we were ready.
The outer hebrides are fantastic. Go for it!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We`re going to Outer Hebs in May, on an ad lib basis. ie. without the time restrictions of pre booked ferries. We don`t want to rush.

Even though we travelled at Easter, we didn't have to make any advance bookings - no problems.

First crossing from the mainland, just turn up at the booking office on or near the quayside and buy a ticket. Many of the inter-island ferries don't have booking offices. So we'd just arrive at the ramp - there was an electronic timetable indicating when the next ferry was due. At that point we'd usually call CalMac from the van and ask if the ferry was on time and was there any space? The answer was always yes; we'd give our name and say can you book us on, and that was it. :thumb:

There was no real need to telephone, but it worked for us.

Mike

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
This thread is just so inspiring. I wanna go now!
Come on then, there`s plenty of room up there.:thumb:
Grey water disposal could be a bit of an issue though..........:Doh:
May in the Western Isles, Almost beats Northumberland.
I`ll let you all know.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Me too, we've got an un-arranged week in August but I have a feeling that it might be too busy then.

Last two weeks in August might be okay as Scottish schools will be back for the autumn term.

You'll need citronella just in case but the breeze tends to keep the mozzies away on the west side of the islands.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
one word…….

MOZZIES :cry::cry::cry:

Shouldn`t be too bad in May.
Anyway, there aren`t many mozzies in the Western Isles.
Midges ....Now that is a different problem!
Fortitude is by far the best way of dealing with them.
Just like in Human life, it`s only the females that bite.:Eeek:
Incidentally you should never kill a midge....20 000 will turn up for its funeral.
In my experience most midge repellents work better as attractants.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Midges ....Now that is a different problem!

Oops, I was having a SENIOR MOMENT :Blush:

I meant MOZZIES

You are right tho', not too bad in May. But in the summer, if the wind stops (like it did when we were there last year)……….OUCH :Sad::cry::Eeek:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm told that Avon's "Skin so Soft" works as an insect repellent - I'm not sure which formula but a google search revealed:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotla...s-midge-repellent-for-royal-marines-1-1403152

Yeah, my mate at work told me that too…………….

It does not really work, but you will feel all nice and fresh smelling! (still got 4 bottles of it left over:RollEyes:)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Did a tour of Islands last year and enjoyed immensely. Looked at the hopscotch but found that as it included a crossing we didn't need, it was cheaper just to travel independently, which also means you can please yourself. Worth booking ahead for the busier crossings though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back