Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I am thinking of fitting a load platform / scooter rack to the rear of my Autosleeper Sussex Boxer van conversion
Would it be possable /legal for me to get a simple frame made up that would bolt to the towbar mounting holes.
I do not want to tow a trailer off it
Also I am sure there are some wise funsters out there that will be able to tell me the sums for working out the maximum load I could carry on the rear of my Sussex

Thanks guys

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You have a very good chance with the wheelbase on yours.

Data needed.

All up max.
Front max.
Rear max.
Wheelbase.
Distance to centre of new load from rear axle, the overhang.
Actual front and rear loading from a weighbridge when normally loaded.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have one complete with lights and alloy checkerplate box, for sale cheap. Its the German one that slides into a track under the motorhome. It can be used as a scooter rack or with the alloy box for storage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a couple of issues you need to keep in mind

projection from the rear of the van. take a long straight piece of wood etc and put it against the bottom of the back wheel and the back bumper. the rack and any load must fit within the space between the wood and the back bumper.

weight on the back axle and the maximum allowable mass or MIRO. you must not exceed either. load on the back axle will be more than the combined weight of the rack and scooter because of the fulcrum effect. there is a calculator about somewhere. you need to know all the variables and weights first though

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Chris I would say the biggest problem will be opening the rear doors, having no overhang on panel vans is a big plus. :thumb:
Go to a weigh bridge and get them to weigh each axle. :Smile: Bob.

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Bike Rack?

I have one complete with lights and alloy checkerplate box, for sale cheap. Its the German one that slides into a track under the motorhome. It can be used as a scooter rack or with the alloy box for storage.

Hi Snowbird how much are you wanting for this?

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
a couple of issues you need to keep in mind

projection from the rear of the van. take a long straight piece of wood etc and put it against the bottom of the back wheel and the back bumper. the rack and any load must fit within the space between the wood and the back bumper.

weight on the back axle and the maximum allowable mass or MIRO. you must not exceed either. load on the back axle will be more than the combined weight of the rack and scooter because of the fulcrum effect. there is a calculator about somewhere. you need to know all the variables and weights first though

I'm confused - wouldn't this mean that any rack would have to be in the van? :Confused:

Rob

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Snowbird how much are you wanting for this?

Hi Chrisboyo has first refusal, but if he does not want it then you can have it for £100 complete. The alloy box cost me a bloody fortune and would quite possibly weigh in at that money. Am still in Spain until 13 May, so if interested PM me after that. Its the German one that slides into two tracks under the van, has a stabiliser bar and proper lights fitted to it. It may need a coat of paint as its been sitting in the yard for some time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back