Beware of new telephone scam!!! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just been informed of a serious attempt to get someone's bank account etc details through very devious means which were NOT obvious!!! As this was told to a friend who is a regional manager for a major security firm I suggest you do NOT treat this lightly! :Eeek:

I just had a call from a guy claiming to be from PC world, who asked for me by name and postcode, he than said that there were 2 guys in store who had used my bank card to buy a laptop and he then said he was going to phone the police and I should phone my bank... So I put the phone down and pick up the house phone again to phone my bank and I hear that the dial tone was different, I then phone PC world from my mobile who tell me that they have not and would not call a customer for such reasons. I then phone the police and they confirm that it was a scam and if I had in fact phoned my bank the guy on the other end of the phone would of got my bank details and rinsed my bank account.... So everyone please be aware of any phone call you get like this and tell your friends. Even share this

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
certainly not a new scam. the caller leaves the line open and plays the sound of a dial tone when you put your receiver down. when you pick it up again, it sounds like the dial tone. the caller or an associate then talk you through your security questions and bank details. they then use this info themselves on another line at the same time to your real bank

not all thieves are stupid or wear stripy jumpers and carry a bag marked swag. in the real world, they use psychology to trick you and take the money long before you realise what is going on. they work on the premise that people will panic and be foolish enough to compromise their own security

thankyou for the reminder though

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
something else to watch out for..thanks a lot funsters.:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
These days I tend not to answer the phone :Smile: especially if I don't recognise the number and always let it go onto the answer machine its amazing they just hang up, mustn't be that important :winky:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
These days I tend not to answer the phone :Smile: especially if I don't recognise the number and always let it go onto the answer machine its amazing they just hang up, mustn't be that important :winky:

WOWwwwww!!!! :Eeek::Eeek:

You don't answer your phone unless you recognise the number???? :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Do you no realise what you might be missing? :Doh:

It may be a call from Nigeria, offering you a fortune from a long lost relative, or a £1,000,000, if you cash a cheque! :thumb:

You could also be missing out on offers of free holidays, massive refunds of PPI insurance, huge sums of money for accidents that you have never had, etc., etc. :Cool:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

I do exactly the same!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I see this all too often (.....currently work on a Fraud Squad in the Met)

A few tips (which I trust are mostly comon sense to you)

NEVER give out any personal information on a cold call.

NEVER buy anything major from ebay/autotrader/pistonheads/gumtree without having a face to face deal and seeing the item (many many cars, campers and motorhomes are offered for sale at just below the 'normal' price making them attractive, but they aren't real - you MUST go see the vehicle in person)

NEVER send money through a bank transfer/western union unless you have the item.

If using ebay - stick to paypal, and only link to it from your ebay acount - never from an external link in an email. (There are scams on ebay - but if you are unlucky enough to fall for one - at least you have some financial protection if using paypal properly through the ebay website which YOU OPEN YOURSELF - not a link!)

Always check the 'grammar' on emails and the like, some replicate ebay and paypal emails and are very convincing - but check all the small print carefully, - if you weren't expecting it - its a scam.

And remember - you DON'T have a long lost relative, you havent been left a load of money in a will, and you NEVER have to pay money to release money, or for the 'girl' you met online to help her sick auntie and then fly over to visit you - even though her (or his!) photo is very attractive! It's usually someone from one or two certain African countries.

Golden rule - if it seems to good to be true - it is.

Sadly I see many many people who are apparently normal intelligent ordinary human beings - and they fall for it all the time. Most of these scams operate from overseas, and not only is there nothing the Police can do, but the Banks won't refund your money if you've transferred it and its a scam. Even to a UK bank account - it's opened using a stolen/fake identity, used to 'launder' money, then closed.

Buyer beware:thumb:

If anyone does have any specific concerns or think they've been 'done' - I'll always be happy to help any Funsters with the knowledge and experience I have, only a PM away and in confidence!:thumb:

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
I now unplug phone and only plug in to make outgoing calls.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The email supposedly from a friend in need abroad is one of the cruelest and potentially the one most likely to catch folks out, I think.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I got an email from a member on here. It was for plastic surgery and some special anti ageing cream:ROFLMAO:
I knew it must have been a fake .
Not because I don't need it :Blush: but the person in question just wouldn't have sent it. I forgot to tell them when we were at Eden camp. This has just reminded me:thumb:
I think someone must have go t her email list and sent it to all the addresses.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I got an email from a member on here. It was for plastic surgery and some special anti ageing cream:ROFLMAO:
I knew it must have been a fake .
Not because I don't need it :Blush: but the person in question just wouldn't have sent it. I forgot to tell them when we were at Eden camp. This has just reminded me:thumb:
I think someone must have go t her email list and sent it to all the addresses.

Hahaha..I had one like that from a friend - for a slimming 'camp' in France.

He was so embarrassed when I asked him if he thought I needed to lose some weight ::bigsmile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It's probably been posted before but this phone scam has another, potentially more beguiling guise. In this case, the caller claims to be PC Plod (in the cases reported around Banbury) from Hammersmith Police Station. He claims to be calling in response to an arrest: they have pulled in someone with your credit/debit cards on them (presumably cloned). Then they tell you to call the bank and hold the line open whilst you do.
I had a call attempting this about two months age, then read in the local paper of another case to someone with the same surname. Just remember, the police will always tell you to contact your bank, and your bank will NEVER ask for a pin number.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
It's probably been posted before but this phone scam has another, potentially more beguiling guise. In this case, the caller claims to be PC Plod (in the cases reported around Banbury) from Hammersmith Police Station. He claims to be calling in response to an arrest: they have pulled in someone with your credit/debit cards on them (presumably cloned). Then they tell you to call the bank and hold the line open whilst you do.
I had a call attempting this about two months age, then read in the local paper of another case to someone with the same surname. Just remember, the police will always tell you to contact your bank, and your bank will NEVER ask for a pin number.

Oh yes - this happens, and more....so to follow on, and add to the OP's post;

If the scammer is successful in duping you on the phone - (and believe me they are!) the next step after obtaining all of your security details and your pin is they arrange either a 'courrier' (which is a local minicab) to come to your home and collect your cards so that they can be destroyed (sometimes - they advise it will be a plain clothes Officer who comes round), and that unwitting cab driver (yeah right - but prove otherwise) then delivers the cards to a 'shell' address, and well - you can guess the rest.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
The email supposedly from a friend in need abroad is one of the cruelest and potentially the one most likely to catch folks out, I think.

I had one a couple of weeks ago telling me I had cancer and to open the attachment for the test results. At the top of the e.mail it said to me and 33 others, a bit of a give away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back