Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The May issue of ccc mag came today. Had to smile at the living without mains hook up. Last year when using ccc sites we was only allowed hard standing with ehu. When we said we did not need electric, we was told its free with the pitch you might as well use it but could not get pitch without electric.:Smile:

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Site Electrics,
This is one subject I really get angry with, both the large camping groups, 'Re-arranged the Law.
When the energy law edict was made, it was decided no person or company could charge more for energy than was being supplied and charged to them.
This came in with the 'Landlord' Act.. What did the Camping Org. do??? Included it in the price of the pitch! so 'Joe Public' had no idea what he was paying, so the middle man was again making a profit.
At the time I contacted my MP who agreed it was not what the Act intended and was very surprised that Private Member Companies where bending the law.
The only 'Camping' people who were given the true price was Static Van owners who paid a separate bill.
After all this time its now a 'Matter of Course' what you are charged, I have requested an invoice for electric, but informed this was 'beyond remit'
One day we may get justice... Maybe.
Best Regards Mac

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unless site hookup is properly metered, in which case you cannot be charged more than the electric companies tarif, you dont pay for electric......you pay to hire the equipment only....ie: the hookup post, socket and breaker.

Thats the only way a set figure can be charged, whether you use more or less than you are charged is not the issue

Yet another loophole in the law :Angry:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Site Electrics,
This is one subject I really get angry with, both the large camping groups, 'Re-arranged the Law.
When the energy law edict was made, it was decided no person or company could charge more for energy than was being supplied and charged to them.
This came in with the 'Landlord' Act.. What did the Camping Org. do??? Included it in the price of the pitch! so 'Joe Public' had no idea what he was paying, so the middle man was again making a profit.
At the time I contacted my MP who agreed it was not what the Act intended and was very surprised that Private Member Companies where bending the law.
The only 'Camping' people who were given the true price was Static Van owners who paid a separate bill.
After all this time its now a 'Matter of Course' what you are charged, I have requested an invoice for electric, but informed this was 'beyond remit'
One day we may get justice... Maybe.
Best Regards Mac

What else could they do? Meters are too expensive (in maintenance as well as capital) and many people distrust them, you can draw many pounds of electricity from a "free" point, so it is hard to make them simply free. The only path the law left was to charge a "enhanced pitch" fee for a pitch that happened to have an electricity connection.

Personally, I don't blame the campsite owners for a situation brought about by a poorly drafted law.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I wouldn't object if there was a choice ie a different price for a non-ehu pitch. I do object to having to pay for something I don't need just to suit their convenience.
This is why I avoid UK sites as far as I can.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It annoys us too. We never have hook up. We don't need it.
We've managed without at - 15 with snow on the panel , brushing it off when too deep, using the Webasto. TV 's on and all the rest of the elektrikery that teens need, plus hairdryers , and straighteners, for me:Blush:
We've the solar panel, Trojan batteries, inverter etc and what ever else Ralph's fixed in.
If ever we do go to a site , rarely , and ask how much it is without hook up, and they say £ 2 less than if you were in an rv with everything on board :winky:. Unless we are wanting a swim. To use the washing machine and dryers , we don't bother. We never use the facilities . We actually poo in our loo:ROFLMAO: and shower in the shower. It's not a wardrobe.
We've seen tents with electric fan heaters on 24/7 on these sites:Doh: and caravaners with those turning electric heaters going round in the awning day and night.
Why should we subsidise them. Bring on metered leccy, I say. Plus tokens for loos , showers , washing up facilities. Then lower the basic charge for the site. :thumb:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I/we, you and I, spend a lot of money making ourselves independent.... if we intend spending all of our time on hook-up why have a solar panel? If we buy a van with a toilet and shower, why should we pay to use the same facility on a campsite?
It is somewhat surprising with this mentality that people who arrive on a luxury campsite don't sleep in the campsite bungalows when they have any. Although I must confess that we do frequent the odd eatery when we park rather than cook for ourselves.

Alan

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
This is where the segregation between caravanners and motorhomers comes in.
Modern caravans are heavily dependant on mains electricity.
Gone are the days where the only heat you got in a caravan was from the gas lights or the hob burners.

Unfortunately until the 2 main clubs start to be more welcoming to self contained motorhomes that only need a bit of hard ground a drinking water tap and a manhole to dump the poo it will remain the same.

What chance have we of the above happening ??

None as it's not as financially lucrative to the shareholders.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I/we, you and I, spend a lot of money making ourselves independent.... if we intend spending all of our time on hook-up why have a solar panel? If we buy a van with a toilet and shower, why should we pay to use the same facility on a campsite?
It is somewhat surprising with this mentality that people who arrive on a luxury campsite don't sleep in the campsite bungalows when they have any. Although I must confess that we do frequent the odd eatery when we park rather than cook for ourselves.

Alan
We too eat out. Enjoy it too. Like the fact that some country pubs let you stay in their car park at the back , whilst using their establishment too. :thumb:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We quite like EHU actually.. But we can manage without
We quite like eating out.. But we enjoy cooking too
We enjoy the security of sites.. But don't need it
We love the comfort of our van and don't wish to stay anywhere else. It's our choice.. And tbh I don't mind paying for electric. I expect it if I'm on a site.
Maybe I'm alone here ... ??

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
It does beg the question, if you don't need the campsite facilities and don't want them, why are you on a campsite?

:Cool:

Pool , washing machine , dryer. That's all . Don't like clubs and all singing dancing places. We've used them even less since the kids have grown.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
It does beg the question, if you don't need the campsite facilities and don't want them, why are you on a campsite?

:Cool:

Some places just don't like motorhomes parked up near beauty spots and it upsets the local councilers who own shares in the campsites.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Pool , washing machine , dryer. That's all . Don't like clubs and all singing dancing places. We've used them even less since the kids have grown.

havent you got a washing machine and spin dryer in the camper?
you should invest in one .
saves a fortune .
we do upto 6 months a year in one trip use a plastic twintub . ideal .
mind i do have a posser and a mangle if i need it.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
havent you got a washing machine and spin dryer in the camper?
you should invest in one .
saves a fortune .
we do upto 6 months a year in one trip use a plastic twintub . ideal .
mind i do have a posser and a mangle if i need it.

We still tend to do the main holidays abroad , flying. But now there's mostly just the. Two of us we might just invest. Especially if were using the Motorhome for more than a few days at a time. :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mine came from a charity shop for a tenner .
my mates was 55 quid about 8 yrs ago.
both seem to work ok . i do have to clamp the timer switch on mine but it works.
think i have only used 1 campsite in the last 10 yrs .
that was in spain and wasnt cheap.
best not go on them i say.
meet a nice lot of folks that dont use them .

crash hat going on now .hee hee.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We quite like EHU actually.. But we can manage without
We quite like eating out.. But we enjoy cooking too
We enjoy the security of sites.. But don't need it
We love the comfort of our van and don't wish to stay anywhere else. It's our choice.. And tbh I don't mind paying for electric. I expect it if I'm on a site.
Maybe I'm alone here ... ??

Not alone at all.

That pretty much mirrors our approach.

We'll generally have an electric hook-up if it's available, but can equally manage without.

We enjoy the security of sites (mostly naturist ones), but can also manage without.

We like the easy and mostly free wi-fi on continental sites, which we can normally use in the van with a booster.

Each to their own. :thumb:

Mike

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
coldstreamer

I'm afraid I have opened a can of worms, to be clear, we very rarely need of use Hook Ups, 99% of our camping is done with a group on rallies, the odd time we have stayed on a commercial site we have to accept electric, Want it or Not! That is the problem, you have no choice, except to Drive on. It is very rare now to find a commercial site with a option. What I find
very strange I can stay on a commercial site with statics and have my meter read at the end of our stay.
I still believe the 'Law' did not realize the problems that arose from the Law.
Best Regards Mac

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What about a site owner who finds out that the pitch fee doesn't cover the cost of the leccy being used ?
When it's 'free' people can really abuse it..

For example..

Winter in the UK and many, if not all will use leccy for heating.. fan heater or panel + water , fridge and battery charging etc .. soon max out a 16a supply.

Example. , you have a 16a / 3kw ehu..and the leccy cost is 15 p per kwh..

so, say 3kw is used for 18 - 24 hours..

cost per day to site owner.. £8.10 - £10.80

not much left out of a £12 pitch fee...

This was what happened to our friends who own a CL .. the leccy was being so abused in winter that they ended up with a massive leccy bill that nearly broke them... so , they installed card meters and they are were not that expensive.. they fit in the EHU box along side the breaker. IIRC about £40 each maybe less... when you book in you buy a pre loaded card for whatever value you want.. when you leave, any leccy not used is refunded.

At first there was some complaining from regulars.. but most if not all prefer the pay for use meter.. and the site now makes a small profit .. and is pretty much full all year round..

So a big YES for meters.. It's the ONLY fair way..

Will we see more ?/

Yes. we will, but mostly from small sites and CLs, I think.. big commercial sites can make more profit charging all year round for leccy that many don't use.. and in winter they often close.. so there is no commercial benefit for them to fit meters.. they simply rip you off in summer.

Giving the excuse that it's too expensive to install or manage is just a 'get out' from sites who profiteer from leccy charges.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back